Are room treatments really necessary?

ftiZ - interesting wave guides you have on each side of the listening position... some sort of new Klingon technology? ;)

Howdy guys. Hey, didn't mean to hijack soldierones thread. :o I'll start my own as soon as I finish these Sketchup files. The real studio is almost done, but I needed to detail the frame construction for the cloud and superchunk supports, and Sketchup really lends itself to visualizing complex geometry. I used to do it in Autocad, but 2d doesn't cut it anymore.;) And actually, ONE of the superchunk frames is already built.
is.php

fitZ, that is one sweet looking room
Thanks ripthorn. I'll post pics of the real thing soon.:D See a preview below. Took this pic about 6 months ago. As you can see, the soffits are still at the subpanel stage because the finish panels can't go up until the Superchunk sidewall frames are in place.

And there is still a lot of work to do to the monitors themself. I'm going to build my own monitor cabinets to fit the cutouts. I'm going to use a very unusual port design, based on a 62' Fender Showman Amp baffel design that utilizes whats known as a tone ring. I'll post some sections of it on my own thread.

What is the operable bandwidth of that ginormous diffusor on the back wall?
Well, I don't remember exactly, although I calculated it from the formula(excell file)from the BBS posted on the net a while back. The drawing is based on the REAL dimensions of the file. The Skyline is actually two periods wide and high. I used the maximum depth I could afford, and based the block(well) dimensions to get the lowest to highest frequency that the period would allow in the space I have. I think it was around 180hz to about 4500hz if I'm not mistaken. I have the files saved to CD somewhere. My computer crashed about 6 months ago and lost a lot of stuff, but fortunately I'd backed up those files to CD. I even ordered 6 sheets of 2" Styropor(rigid insulation stuff) for fabricating these.
http://fimodreams.hobbysite.info/styropor.html
http://www.plasticsportal.net/wa/plasticsEU/portal/show/content/products/foams/styropor_peripor

Look at the sequence cut/jig idea here. This was just a mockup from 3/4" stock. I'll cut the 2" Styropor on a HUGE 16" blade Radial saw. Even turning the thing on is scary:eek::D But it can cut 24" wide stock. This is just my small home radial.

is.php

I'd cut each layer of sequences in one pass, glue them up, and run the whole layer through a 37" Performax sander.

is.php

Once assembled, I'd gelcoat each period block, and then assemble the 4 units in place.
But frankly, I'm still not sure about this:D I'm not entirely convinced based on the ongoing differences of opinion of Poly vs ORD stuff. :rolleyes::D Because of this "difference of opinion, about 6 months ago I posted a series 12 "rear wall options" on an acoustics forum site that has disappeard now. The purpose was to get a consensus of opinion. Ha! Same ole battle.:rolleyes:
Here was the original Autocad elevation. I imported the file in Sketchup and went from there.

is.php

Anyway, the "rear wall option" thing is STILL in an undecided form. I'll post these options here in Sketchup format soon.

interesting wave guides you have on each side of the listening position... some sort of new Klingon technology?
:D You like those huh?;) Actually, those are UNFINISHED in the Sketchup file. Here is the deal. The REAR SIDEWALLS are sort of a "no mans land" as far as acoustics are concerned. You can use patchwork absorption but I'm going for more of a ORD "look". Originally, these were based on a picture in the Master Handbook of Acoustics(Edition 1) on page 315, (which an un-named acoustician totallly trashed:rolleyes:), but I liked the look. It eventually evolved into an "artsy fartsy" studio "art piece". Here was a prototype to figure out fastening mechanisms.

is.php

Actually, the drawing doesn't show it very well yet, but these are based on Aluminum extrusions manufactured for Store fixtures by Stylemark. I have a TON of these extrusions. I worked for a store fixture outfit and collected leftovers for 5 years. They come in 1000 profiles and 500 colors and are 12' long. Anyway, once finished, the whole rear sidewalls will be covered AS WELL as the art piece, whihch will have a "quasi" ORD look.:D However, the "artpiece" will have a lot of other stuff too. Plexiglass,
is.php

LED's and some acoustical stuff built in too, like hidden 703 patchwork, multiple small and various POLY's too!
Hey, speaking of Polys....do these remind you of something:D
is.php

Anyway, thats the idea....you'll see it soon.
Uhhh, I think you're looking at the wrong end of the horse. His mouth is over there - at the other end.
:D Thats ok. I'm a bottomfeeder too!;)

Ok guys, I've hijacked this thread enough.:rolleyes: Later.
oops, one more....
is.php

fitZ:)

Back