Anyone using ASIO w soundblaster Audigy sonar 3

OK Bill,

You're getting Valid Input Detected. Is good!

But no signal coming through. Is bad!

Perhaps the signal to the Audiophile needs boosting? I notice there's a wee switch on the back of the MMP-2. I can't read it clearly on the PDF, but does it say Output Level? Have you fiddled with that?

Have you tried boosting the S/PDIF signal through the Audiophile's software mixer?

You've obviously synched the output & input sample rates. And presumably you're synching the clock rate of the card with that of the MMP-2. Yes? I thought so. :)

Don't give up yet Bill. We'll get this sorted one way or another.

Have a look at these two articles from Sound On Sound:
Audigy Article 1
Audigy Article 2

--
BluesMeister

Last edited:
Ah, Bill, don't ditch the AP2496. (but if you do, I might be able to justify buying another one.) I'd hate to live in a world where a Creative card was better at anything besides Sucking.

On an unrelated note, I found the backup of our tune last night, with everything except a dry vocal from you. So if you get a chance to post one I'll finish this tune up.

mbuster said:
Ah, Bill, don't ditch the AP2496. (but if you do, I might be able to justify buying another one.) I'd hate to live in a world where a Creative card was better at anything besides Sucking.

On an unrelated note, I found the backup of our tune last night, with everything except a dry vocal from you. So if you get a chance to post one I'll finish this tune up.

Mark < thats great! Ill look for the dry vocal, Ive upgraded my computer so I may have to redo it:D
Peace
Bill

BluesMeister said:
OK Bill,

You're getting Valid Input Detected. Is good!

But no signal coming through. Is bad!

Perhaps the signal to the Audiophile needs boosting? I notice there's a wee switch on the back of the MMP-2. I can't read it clearly on the PDF, but does it say Output Level? Have you fiddled with that?

Have you tried boosting the S/PDIF signal through the Audiophile's software mixer?

You've obviously synched the output & input sample rates. And presumably you're synching the clock rate of the card with that of the MMP-2. Yes? I thought so. :)

Don't give up yet Bill. We'll get this sorted one way or another.

Have a look at these two articles from Sound On Sound:
Audigy Article 1
Audigy Article 2

--
BluesMeister

Bluesmiester; Thanks for the tip. The article didnt help BUT I did a search and found a beta generic ASIO driver someone is trying to put together and It seems to work but Ill have to test it further.

since I can only get the latency down to about 6ms by adding a few tracks to an already heavy demo song (symptom) which came with sonar 3. So With a clean project I can probably get it a bunch lower Im guessing. Ill let you know.
The output switch is for analog I believe But you may have a point in that I may have overlooked that switch , (why didnt the folks at roland mention it?) Ill plug that card into a pc and give it a try. If not Bye bye Audiophile. If it works Bye bye Audigy!!! :)
Peace
Bill

moskus said:
Hey Wfaraoni!

Have you tried this?

:)

Yes that is the generic driver I mentioned in the directly above post and It seems to work. But I did get some strange loud tones during one recoding attempt. Ill have to try it on a new clean project. Thanks for the effort Moskus :)

peace
Bill

Bluesmiester, Well, I tried the 2496 once again in a new clean system and toggled the -16 db +4 db switch Still no audio. but I still get a valid input signal.

I Still cant get the asio that the creative card is supposed to have to work with creatives driver either but the generic driver (see above) does work so Im gonna play with that a bit. Hopefullly creative support will get back to me with a solution. It sure would be nice to get 2-4 ms latency out of my system.

Peace
Bill

Bill,

Have a look at Sound On Sound Review of the MMP-2. It doesn't tell you anything you don't already know, but it's worth a read. :)

Have a look at P12 of your Audiophile manual. The last paragraph looks interesting. Have you tried following this?

Also P14/15 cover ASIO. But you knew that anyway :D

--
BluesMeister

Well after testing the generic asio driver again I have found that the lowest setting to get real good audio ina a reliable fashion without clicks and pops is about 12ms :( not very impressive! but maybe better than the wdm.

Bluesmeister, Yeah Ive read and reread that manual far too many times. There is just some issue with the mmp and the 2496. as I said the audigy is clean as a whistle using the spdif and the mmp but then there is the latency issue. If I can get the darned audigy drivers for asio to work I think that may help. Im still waiting for the creative folks to get back to me on that. Im pretty good at this stuff usually but sometimes I get tunnel vision. there is no reason I cant use the audigy with the asio drivers and get low latency. But Creative screwed something up for sure here. With as much computer stuff as I do If I cant get something working Then the average user is gonna be Lost forever for sure. When I get it figured out It will be a great achievment. Then maybe I can get back to recording :) . I still have to get into using the features of sonar 3 and havent had time. Let me know when you get your song posted on nowhere.

peace
Bill

Bill,

Happy Haven is now showing at an MP3 Clinic near you...

That switch on the back of the Audiophile seems to be for analogue output as you rightly suspected.

When you have the MMP-2 hooked up via S/PDIF, is there any movement at all in the Audiphile's software mixer when you holler through the microphone? You should post some screen shots (now that you know how to do it :) ) of the S/PDIF page on the Audiophile Control Panel.

The Sound On Sound review didn't mention any problems with S/PDIF, but there again, Hugh Robjohns didn't specify which soundcard he was using. You could drop him an e-mail at Sound On Sound and tell him of your prob. Maybe he has an answer.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Creative to respond, Bill. I don't think it's ever been their policy either to acknowledge or to respond to technical enquiries.

The eventual solution will be so blindingly obvious when you stumble across it, you'll be laughing in your sleep for weeks...

--
BluesMeister

I wrote Creative support about how stupid it was that the older driver on their cd overwrote a newer downloaded driver etc ...

I did get a reply from them. A completely useless one. They didn't understand that I was advicing them to issue new hardware with installation disks where you could specifically select to install a driver update rather than what was on their disk. They didnt' even acknowledge that I had solved the problem and only told them about it. Instead the gave me an answer to something completely different. Probably the quickest standard answer someone could dig out of a folder.

... Hey, the guy asks why cows produce milk ... Hm, lemme see, got something about pigfarming here, that's pretty close ...

Ok This is what you can expect from creative for support. Heres the actual response I got via email.

William,

Did you install the Cakewalk software that came with the installation
CD? I believe the ASIO drivers are only installed with that software
and once installed, you can then remove Cakewalk.

For faster service please reply with previous correspondences when
replying to this email.

Best Regards

Daniel (14368)
Technical Support
Creative Labs Americas :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D LMAO

This Guy believes the drivers are installed with a fruity loops disk that came with the software pak of junk which BTW included a AOL 7 CD!!!

Anyway I got the asio drivers from creative working by completely uninstalling and then reinstalling the card/drivers /software.

I think the Kx drivers might be better though :)

Thanks all for your help with this.

Looks like the audiophile is gonna make it to ebay afterall, along with a bunch of other stuff I need to clear out. probably A couple guitars maybe an amp or two , a korg drv 3000 reverb unit and a tascam 644 recorder a pc .......
Hmmm, that sounds like work and theres more than that Im sure.

Peace
Bill

Back