Anyone using ASIO w soundblaster Audigy sonar 3

wfaraoni

ear art's not a science
Im trying to get a grip on the whole asio driver thing. Ive got sonar 3, a soundblaster audigy platinum ex but have not figured out whats up with the drivers not showing up. Is this another Cakewalk issue?
Anybody?? But Jaymz!! HeHeHe :) :D :)

Actually Im Going to get rid of my audiophile 2496 card since ive been recording with the spdif through a roland mmp-2 and have found that to be the best result for me.
Only,The roland mmp-2 and the midiman 2496 dont like each other though.. so Bye Bye 2496 and hello to creative again.
If I can get the latency down using the Asio drivers I think Ill have a real winner for my budget home studio.

If someones already figured this out Please fill me in.

peace
Bill

wfaraoni said:
Is this another Cakewalk issue?
No, I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that it's Creatives fault. As you maybe know or don't know, Creatives ASIO-drivers for the Audigy is only working if you've set your sampling rate to 48 kHz.

Have you tried that?

BluesMeister said:
Bill,

Please reconsider. The Audiophile is a better soundcard than the Audigy could ever hope to be.
--
BluesMeister

Nope, Ive made up my mind, using the spdif inputs of the roland mmp-2 preamp, I am getting a Great clean signal through the audigy.
The audiophile just does not work with the mmp spdif so Im gonna sell it at a loss as is.
Anyone interested?
The midiman folks provided no usefull help and either did the roland folks. There should not be an issue but there is. I tried it on 3 different computers using 3 different mmp-2 s. The 2496 spdif works for everything else BUT the mmp2. :(
Ive probably spent 30 hours on this issue and The 2496, as nice and clean a card as it is , (cleaner than the audigy by far for analog audio), just is not as clean or or as the mmp/spdif combination even with the audigy... because all of the a/d conversion is already done in the high quality preamp portion of the roland unit , so the spdif is basically just a route for my digital info into sonar. This is a great combination except for the latency issue

BTW I love my mmp-2 not only because of the preamp models but the mic modeling is Just a fantastic plus to my studio. Yeah, The gear snobs dont like it but It works for me. I know you cant emulate a $5000 mic with a $300 mic.. But I can sure customize the sound I get out of that $300 mic to something suitable for my needs.
Not to mention the compressor /equalizer/expander/de-esser and proximity controls included with the unit .
Ive got an akg 3000, 2 marshall 603's, and a shure 58a beta plus a pzm and I feel like Im pretty much set for mics because of the MMp'2.

Bottom Line
The recording sound Im achieving using the MMp-2 w spdif Is far better than what I ever got using the audiophile 2496.

And dont forget
This opinion IS from a deaf guy

:D :D :) :( :D :p :D :cool:

Peace
Bill

Last edited:
Re: Re: Anyone using ASIO w soundblaster Audigy sonar 3

moskus said:
No, I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that it's Creatives fault. As you maybe know or don't know, Creatives ASIO-drivers for the Audigy is only working if you've set your sampling rate to 48 kHz.

Have you tried that?

Moskus It may very well be a creative issue, but have you noticed that the list of fixes in Sonar 3 at the cakewalk site,already exceeds the Sonar 2 list in #'s of issues?
Maybe the are trying to stay on top of it OR maybe there are lots of issues.

Then again some other problems could be coming from all these XP updates which I seem to be getting almost daily lately. I built a couple of systems for my kids In the last month and the xp downloads for updates was well over 200 meg!!! ven with my high speed internet thats a lot of time when you add in the install time. OOps gotta go just got a new xp update to install :D

Peace
Bill

sell the audiophile sell the audigy and get a lynxone!..i guarantee the conversion is better then the roland....and i haven't heard the roland just a hunch.....the lynxone goes for about 400 for 2
analog ins and outs

1. Talking about the Audigy Platinum, I use this in my "all-purpose PC". Whereas I use Delta 66 in my "music PC". Probably violating Cakewalks' license, I have installed Sonar 3 in both computers, but since I am the only person using Sonar in this house, well ...

I use Audigy for quickly listening to downloaded midi files, making smaller adjustments. So how to optimize Audigy for Sonar 3? And is there any soundfont you would recommend (rock and pop) for just getting an idea. I use a Roland Sound Canvas module on the music PC.

2. Yeah, I would consider buying that Audiophile card. But would it be any better in my "all-purpose PC"? It doesn't have an internal wave table for midi, I believe, and I am mainly looking for something to quickly scan files. So I don't want to first set up a soft synth etc.

3. Well, I may still consider that Audiophile for my music PC then. How does it work alongside Delta 66? More specifically, I need a way to get more SP/DIF inputs. I already use the one on Delta 66 for the sound module, but would need another for mic preamp/guitar amp emulator with digital output.

I just think that you'll be sorry if you go away from the Audiophile. Okay, maybe SPDIF doesen't work with Audiophile for some reason.

BUT! Creative makes horrible cards for recording. And remember, the drivers are part of the cards too. I've had alot of problems with Creatives drivers, and Microsoft haven't made any drivers for the Audigy.

This is just my opinion. If the Audigy works for you, then go ahead. ;)

Moskus, As I said Im only using it for the spdif input which works rock solid with the mmp-2. Since I have NOT been using the audiophile anyway except for playback Im going to probably put it on ebay.

Tombuur, Denmark! probably wouldnt be worth the added ship cost and international BS that goes along with it.

ALL, still have not figured out how to use asio with the audigy platinum ex. sent a tech support question to creative.. No answer yet.
Surely someone uses this!

Peace
Bill

moskus said:

BUT! Creative makes horrible cards for recording. And remember, the drivers are part of the cards too. I've had alot of problems with Creatives drivers, and Microsoft haven't made any drivers for the Audigy.

After a virus and all the reinstalls it called for, this afternoon I decided I needed the Audigy HQ to load soundfonts. I downloaded the upgrade, but it wouldn't install, because there was no older version. So I installed the old version. But would you believe it, the new Audigy driver I had downloaded was overwritten by the old. I was never asked about drivers during the install. Trying Windows rollback to get the overwritten new driver back just made it all collapse.

So much for Creative's ability to look ahead when they sell you a soundcard with bundled driver/software. Had they realized the consequences of not looking into the future, they could at least have let me upgrade HQ without requiring an older version to be installed first.

wfaraoni said:
Tombuur, Denmark! probably wouldnt be worth the added ship cost and international BS that goes along with it.

Over here it costs me $200 in the shop just around the corner. Musician's Friend charges $149. So I guess you will sell for less. Postage is $10-15. Taxes are about 30% on top, but not if I receive an old soundcard as a gift from a friend. So you can make your own math.

My main purpose would be an extra SP/DIF, assuming it works alongside Delta 66 from the same manufacturer. SP/DIF, however, is your problem, so ... ???

Bill,

Let's not be hasty here, amigo.

What is the precise nature of the problem? When you connect the Roland MMP-2 to the Audiophile via the S/PDIF you get what? Distortion, no signal, a horrible farting noise?

My Terratec EWX 2496 has a S/PDIF connector, but I have to choose between it and digital sound from my LG CD-ROM. Can't have both I'm afraid, so a jumper decides between the two. Is this a similar issue with the Audiophile?

There must be a reason why the Audigy likes the signal but the Audiophile doesn't.

--
BluesMeister

Bluesmiester: No I get a valid input detected but no data at all. The mixer shows NOTHING. If I hook it to another source (other than the mmp-2) I get it all and it records fine. spdif wise

Also
Im not the only one who has had this problem with compatability either. Someone else was having the same issue with the 2496 and the mmp-2 a while back at the roland site message board.
I DO know when to leave it for the engineers and Im past that point. Sometimes Stuff just does not work even though logic says it should.
I very well may be a roland issue as I noticed the price of the mmp has dropped to 1/4 of what it sold for a year ago.
So I bought 2 more as backups :)
I love that unit:D :D :D

If I can get $115 for the audiophile card Ill be happy. I think that should be pretty easy since its like new and I still have the box and all the assorted packaging and the break out cable.

If I can get that darned asio to work with the audigy Ill be very happy. As it is now the recording quality exceeds both my skill and ears :)

Peace
Bill

While wondering whether to make Bill an offer for the Audiophile, I consulted the M-Audio pages. It looks like you need the SP/DIF's of both cards to sync them. Is that so? Can't I just insert the card and run it at the same time as a Delta 66. Having to use the SP/DIF's for sync'ing ruins the whole idea for me - which was getting more SP/DIF inputs. Any experience with coexisting M-Audio cards?

Having a mic pream with digital out, a Roland sound module with digital out and a guitar amp emulator with digital out, all I need for my one man self recording seems to be three digital in. No analogue in required at all. So when will they start making sound cards with 4-10 SP/DIF's?

tombuur said:
Had they realized the consequences of not looking into the future, they could at least have let me upgrade HQ without requiring an older version to be installed first.
Yepp, just ask any SB user who has formated their harddrives, installed the updated drivers, and then get screwed.

Just imagine if you loose your CD with the original drivers.... :rolleyes:

Yes, as you can see, I am one of them. So I mailed Creative tech support and told them how stupid this was ... Guess, they will file my complaint in the recycler, though:(

tombuur said:
While wondering whether to make Bill an offer for the Audiophile, I consulted the M-Audio pages. It looks like you need the SP/DIF's of both cards to sync them. Is that so? Can't I just insert the card and run it at the same time as a Delta 66.

I don't know if this helps but when I had the audigy and the 2496 in the same unit both spdif's worked fine except for the mmp-2 issue. so I would guess that you could run both cards if you set the clock the same on the input sources. But thats just a guess. Id post a question on the hardware forum to see if anyone has that configuration working first.
Then again I thought for sure someone was using an audigy with asio in sonar but still no answers to that question from this thread.

Im getting pretty tired of the creative lack of support myself. When you load there cards from the disk you get all kinds of junk along with the install. About a year ago I was trying to get the software for the drive bay's remote control but they said I had to BUY a CD for the installation. so I went without.

Peace
Bill

Back