Anybody wanna play?

SHEPPARDB.

I was thinking it may be interesting to post up several backing tracks from different genres so folks could dl and repost thier take on it.Not a contest, but a chance to check out how different players approach the same piece.
Pipe up if you are interested and I'll get some tracks up.

for starters

Attachments

• boogie in e.mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
  • classic rock backing.mp3
    3.7 MB · Views: 36
  • mob man.mp3
    3.9 MB · Views: 34
  • blues backing in am.mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I can't get to it till the weekend 'cause of other stuff I gotta get ready for this week.
Sounds like fun though ..... what kinda time frame we looking at? Next week ok?

I'll have something ready in the next few days...after next weekend for sure.

Last edited:
No time frame on this.Just look at it as an ongoing excersise.
Any track you care to use will be fine as long as you post a version w/out guitar for everyone else to play over.
Miro, I was a judge for the local KOTB contest here and it was part of the reason I started this thread.even if you are an accomplished player you can learn a lot from watching a player with even the most basic skills.
I dont think this should turn into a thing where we try to get a pristine track recorded.I am going to give each track two takes only and I wont be doing any edits other than length.

Any track you care to use will be fine as long as you post a version w/out guitar for everyone else to play over.
oh, I thought the idea was to play over those tracks you put up?

It kinda needs to be a limited number of possibilities otherwise you won't have a lot of different players using the same tracks to be able to compare

I hadnt thought about that Lt.Okay so just the songs I have posted.

OK...I'll remove the link to the KOTB songs.
Maybe in the next batch, pick some from there...or wherever.

For me, playing to backing tracks isn't so much about mindless jamming (even though I know Greg secretly loves to jam ;) ).
I use it as practice. I get bored real quick doing just scales/exercises. Playing to backing tracks lets me work on my technique and my improvisation, but playing to the same backing gets boring too...so it's nice to have something new every so often.

OK...I'll remove the link to the KOTB songs.
Maybe in the next batch, pick some from there...or wherever.

For me, playing to backing tracks isn't so much about mindless jamming (even though I know Greg secretly loves to jam ;) ).
I use it as practice. I get bored real quick doing just scales/exercises. Playing to backing tracks lets me work on my technique and my improvisation, but playing to the same backing gets boring too...so it's nice to have something new every so often.
yep .... when I get hired by bands it's basically for my improv skills whether playing rhythm over things or solo'ing. The only way to learn that or improve at it is to do it.

That's why I pop in on bands on the way home from my gigs a lot. Just to get to play over unfamiliar stuff or arrangements.

The funny thing is that he will be the first to critique.(Well, maybe not now since I said he would)I for one would like to see him toss the kayak and the rods and reels and take up shark noodling.

Cool thread--thanks Shep. Nothing develops/stretches my chops like playing against a track I DIDN'T write. I'm downloading now. If I get inspired, I'll hit the red button and post 'em back up!

Cool thread--thanks Shep. Nothing develops/stretches my chops like playing against a track I DIDN'T write. I'm downloading now. If I get inspired, I'll hit the red button and post 'em back up!
Yeah ...... I think it's a pretty interesting idea.
I'm not gonna listen to anyone elses' until I've done mine.
Like sheppard ...... I'll limit myself to one or two takes so there's likely to be mistakes here and there.

Man I just spent like 2 hours laying down tracks over Poetic Intensities song - it was fun as hell - I will do this too - but not today :p

Okay...finally had some time tonight to listen and get into the groove. Here's my take on the first one (for me, the first one was the Classic Rock track--no surprise there!). A touch repetitive, but then the track went on and on and on...and I hadn't worked out enough variety. Sorry!

I hope to get to a couple of the other tracks--maybe even one tonight.

Back