Any great alternative to the SM57 for the snare?

endserenading81 said:
I want to now record the snare with 2 mics, cause it's not coming in hard enough. I already have the SM57 cause I got it when I was first starting out and heard way to much about it. So NOW I'm doing my research on the next snare mic. Any suggestions guys? Condenser OR Dynamic. Or should I get another SM57 for the bottom? I would like to have variety though.
Thanks,
Rob

Find a Groove Tubes GT44 condensor. Best snare mic I know of period.

Sm57

An alternative to using one SM57 are two SM57s! One above and one below... In phase with each other this produces a very nice sound capturing pop and attack on the above and the snare thick sound from below. Out of phase both will be weak! ;)

my latest snare fav is a reslo UD-3. One of the most directional dynamics I've ever used & I also put a neaumann KMS105 underneath or AKG C1000

I also like a beyerdynamic M201 topside.....

An alternative to using one SM57 are two SM57s! One above and one below... In phase with each other this produces a very nice sound capturing pop and attack on the above and the snare thick sound from below. Out of phase both will be weak! ;)

my main reason for mic'ing the bottom is to catch all the sizzle & top end of the snare which would lead me in the direction of a SDC over a 57.....I mean yeah a 57 will capture it but I ended up cranking the top end something silly to get the sizzle I looked for where a SDC gives almost straight away

Back