Any great alternative to the SM57 for the snare?

M201

Hi Guys,

Just looking at the M201 datasheet - does anyone know what the significance of the 'TG' in the model number is. Is there a difference between the new models and older models.

Thanks,

PAddy

While I have used M-160's on loud guitars and I have used M-160's on percussive events like congas... I somehow don't have the balls to put a ribbon mic anywhere near a snare drum.

I've used a Royer R-121 on a kik drum with no hole in the front head at like a foot and a half of distance and thought I was living on the edge, but I just don't own the cojones to stick one within a foot of a snare.

Overheads, if they're high enough not a problem... within "close mic'ing" range on a snare... well let's just say I would want to have a replacement mic waiting in the wings and all the information for Beyer's repair department before I as much as considered it.

hey has anybody used a Shure Beta57a
you want crack it has an increased midrange in its curve
I have had great results with it and others like e604 but you should always be able to use a 57
chances are you have heard it on like 98% of all the songs you have ever heard on the radio. The most important thing is mike position and tuning. Also make shure when you look down at the drum itself that you have something worth recording there.

you should definately own one. They work well if not great for many other uses as well
Guitar cabs,congas,horns (trumpet,sax) vocals(live mostly) toms and so on
if you only have a few mics this should be one of them

the mics i use a lot on snare are
ev pl6 (dark, but eq's good and the bleed is easy to handel)
rode nt3 (sounds awsome, but the bleed can be harsh and nasty to deal with)
sennheiser e604 (will always work, usually better than a 57, usually falls to one of the above choices)

petermiller said:
hey has anybody used a Shure Beta57a
you want crack it has an increased midrange in its curve
I have had great results with it and others like e604 but you should always be able to use a 57
chances are you have heard it on like 98% of all the songs you have ever heard on the radio. The most important thing is mike position and tuning. Also make shure when you look down at the drum itself that you have something worth recording there.
The great punctuation shortage of '06.

Anyone ever try an AT Pro 37r on a snare top? I've used it a couple times paired with a 57 on top and a 57 on bottom. I think I even dropped the top 57 once I noticed how good the AT worked. And they're cheap, $250 for a pair I believe. It's a little baby condenser that takes high volumes and sounds lovely!

ADATlove said:
Anyone ever try an AT Pro 37r on a snare top? I've used it a couple times paired with a 57 on top and a 57 on bottom. I think I even dropped the top 57 once I noticed how good the AT worked. And they're cheap, $250 for a pair I believe. It's a little baby condenser that takes high volumes and sounds lovely!

never tried it, but i have a pair so i will some time.
i can deffinately see them adding some crack.

Md441

The Senn MD441 is a sm57 deluxe.
It is cleaner, more dynamic, and has a very cool EQ switch. About 5 bass rolloff positions.
Doesn't have as much HH bleed as a 57.
It's expensive. But It works and after you try it, SM57s seem like a toy.

The Senn 421 is also very good.

EV re15 can be nice on many snares.

I haven't tryed the Beyerdynamic M201.
Maby I should.

EV N/D 308 or EV N/D 408 (or the new N/D 468 what ever it's called. don't have one though)

really good on guitar cabs too. Lickily I really like 57's on most toms, so I still have a use for them.

the i5 a couple people mentioned is pretty good, but if you already have a 57 , i would say go ahead and try some sort of condenser...while the i5 sounds quite a bit different from the 57, you'd probably have a lot more options with a 57 and a SDC than with two $90 dynamic microphones

go for a Behringer 8500, same specs as a Shure B58 and trust me I have 3 of them now and they went from rehearsals to live gigs. They are really nice, and never had a feedback problem .

I tend to like the audix I5 on the snare. It is close to the 57. I can find a a good sound with the I5 with ease. Usually I have to eq a little on the 57. The audix is a hair more expensive.

Back