another tune being worked on

The weak link in the signal chain is the SM57... It's probably the noise source, assuming you don't have any ground loops.

The Larrive sounds LOVELY. My father in law has one, and I love playing it. The song is downright gorgeous, man, really...

Marshall's MXL series of condensers is HUGE bang for the buck. They are smooth, warm, and linear; great for the budget minded...

Llarion said:
The weak link in the signal chain is the SM57... It's probably the noise source, assuming you don't have any ground loops.

The Larrive sounds LOVELY. My father in law has one, and I love playing it. The song is downright gorgeous, man, really...

Marshall's MXL series of condensers is HUGE bang for the buck. They are smooth, warm, and linear; great for the budget minded...

Awesome man, I'll definitely be researching those MXL's as I recognize the name since it's been floating around on the board. I'm sure there is some mod people have been doing to them as well. I'm going to search these up and see what I can find. Thanks alot man.

Llarion said:

By the way, I had my gain cranked all the way up because it was very close miked and I was picking very quietly, which is why all the background noises are quite loud. I'm sure I have pretty unclean electricity, but I'm also sure than the SM57 played a part in the noise. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

packratlouie said:
By the way, I had my gain cranked all the way up because it was very close miked and I was picking very quietly, which is why all the background noises are quite loud. I'm sure I have pretty unclean electricity, but I'm also sure than the SM57 played a part in the noise. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Yeah, the SM57 is a dynamic mic, designed for stage use, it's not quiet enough for recording. You really want a condenser... I use the original MXL, it was $79 and it rules...

Llarion said:
Yeah, the SM57 is a dynamic mic, designed for stage use, it's not quiet enough for recording. You really want a condenser... I use the original MXL, it was $79 and it rules...

Which MXL model are you speaking of?

packratlouie said:
Which MXL model are you speaking of?
Mine was the first one they came out with, it was just called the MXL. It was $79 at Sam Ash, about 3 years ago.... They have a whole line now, but based on my experience with this one, I think any one of them would stiick if thrown against the wall. So to speak. :)

Hey dude, nice job. You're a very good guitar player, and singer. I can echo what everyone else said about the noise. I think maybe add a hair of compression on the vocals. Sounds really, really good.

I like the pacing of the song... very expressive in its silence between phrases. Interesting and nicely played guitar part. If you sound that good with a 57 on the gtr you're going to sound fantastic with a more gtr-friendly setup.

Tim

Well, I'm taking a semester off university, which will give me 8 months to work, and play open mics, and shows around my city. I'll definitely be improving my mic cabinet, and producing a demo at one of my friends' studios. Thanks for listening guys.

Back