Another Soundcard poll

Which 8 channel recording solution?

• Aardvark Direct Pro Q10 ($700)

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Delta 1010 + Mackie 1604-VLZ Pro ($1000)

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • None of the above- Look some more

Votes: 38 51.4%

• Total voters

SirRiff

Another Soundcard poll D1010 vs AardQ10

Greetings,

There are so many people like me who want a simple 8 channel setup but just don't know about potential pitfalls. And yes we should do our homework, but with so many opinions available here, its good to hear them all. SO for 8 channel options its usually Aardvark for around $700 or Delta1010 + Mackie for about $1000.

If there are any important facts that aren't obvious upon first glance, such as converter quality, mixer vs non mixer, line in/outs, stuff like that....just write em down and they will probobly help many people out. And yes there are other threads....but none with a POLL!!

Whoops....that mixer in the poll should be the 1402... The 1604 is has 16 preamps (which would be cool to link up two D1010's, wow....) and is much more expensive.

Funky
SirRiff

Last edited:
Sir,

The Delta 1010 is an excellent card, and the company is doing well with driver support. As we all know, Mackie makes a fine product. A good sound choice. IMHO, somewhere down the line, you'll want to consider moving to out board pres...quality and sound! Good luck

hokeypokey, i would say its a close call as far as Mackie vs Aardvark pres....anyone else?.....

Its funny

Greetings,

I always just assumed mixers have a direct out for every channel they have. The mackie 1604 has 8 direct outs and 16 ins. I know there are 4 aux outputs too, but doesn't that seem strange? Even my crappy Yamaha MD8 has 8 direct (yet rca) outs. I was just thinking that if the mackie had 16 direct outs and 16 channels, it would be expandable with a second D1010 in the future...overkill i know...but very cool indeed.

I think the soundcraft M-Series has one direct out for every mono in..so the 12 channel one could do 12 outs at a time plus aux sends.

I heard people talkinga bout a single click insert thingy..does that actually work? isn't that kinda strange to partially contact the cable in something that it wasnt supposed to touch? sounds fishy to me.

The Canadians should have won gold in figure skating.
We were robbed by the Russians
SirRiff

Hey SirRif

I'm also a skating fan. I agree. Canada should have always won a gold in the Olympics especialy. Stoiko should have won a long time ago. It's just that the judges are partial to Ballet style
skating. But I think since it's a men's competition why not accept
the Macho style of Canadian skaters like Browning and Stoiko.
I think Kurt is the Greatest skater who ever lived who should have won the gold , not because he was pefect, but he was
the only one I saw who could "be" the character he was portraying.

Now back to recording.

Since we're talking cards and pre's,

would an Audiophile with Mackie pre's yeild
the same result. Has anyone evaluated this
soundwise. A and B'd maybe. It's $600
against $150. Does one sound richer, warmer,
better than the other? Or are the 1010's advantages
limited to input and output availability. Yes I know the AD's
and DA's are outside the PC, but does it really matter?

I have an Aardvark Q10 and over at my buddies studio he has a 1010 with a Yamaha mixer (24channel) Both setups are very good. We talked last night and he's getting a q10 also. Now I don't know if these two can coexist, but he really liked the cleanness of the Aardvark and the no mixer req'd.

larry

i've heard the pre's in the ardvark are a little better than the mackies, but i don't know about the AD/DA quality. Im assuming very close.

personally I would prefer better outboard pres than those in Q10, like RNP, Sytek.. etc

since this is a poll, how about the MOTU 828?

if I need 8 I/Os, I would seriously consider the 828 or the Delta1010.

I am a PC user BTW.

There's always better than Q10 or Delta1010, but know that the Q10 has an Aardvark clock on it, it'll make their AD/DA's much more valuable.

Re: Its funny

SirRiff said:

I heard people talkinga bout a single click insert thingy..does that actually work? isn't that kinda strange to partially contact the cable in something that it wasnt supposed to touch? sounds fishy to me.

Yeah, it works.

So if you wanted to add external pre's to the Q-10 would you just turn down the pres that are on it and turn up the outboard pre's? Also what is the deal with the Aardvark clock, is it a lot better than the 1010 and is it significant? What yields better sound quality the 1010 or the q10 pre's aside. Also is the LX-6 the same as the Q10 with just less in's and out's and no pre's, or does it have cheaper componants or clocks? Thanks

I have Q10 and love it. The pres are really, really good. Very transparent.

The reviews have all been very good too. This is the one I would get, and spend the rest $ on a good condensor mic.

The pres on the aardvark are as good as the Mackie XDRs...many would say slightly better.

the clock on the aardvark DOES yield a higher sound quality.

if you get a delta 1010..get a Soundcraft Spirit board...better pres than aardvark/mackie...

I have a q10 and love it...I'd reccomend it to anyone.

As far as wanting external pres - you can use them with the aardvark too...I use a Souncraft M12, an avalon u5, and an SP VTB1 with my aardvark...it's a killer setup.

I also would get the Motu before I got the Delta - but it just requires more stuff to buy.

Aardvark is awesome esp. if you want to keep it clean and simple.

not more than the Delta, more than the Aardvark.

namely, a mixer. I was thinking of other motu stuff I am familiar with...but I didn't realize the 828 had XLR preamps already built into it. thought it was just like a 1010.

That motu looks pretty nice...don't know much about it...but I'd definitely look at it closely.

Back