Analog or Digital?

Maybe you just do not have adequate surrounding set-up or ears to reveal differences.
Wouldn't surprise me.

"dolph"

I don't doubt that you may like the sound of your analog tape recorders to digital recording devices.

What I take issue with is "which is more accurate to the original signal?"

I submit that tape is "broken" but its broken in a way you like. Just like how we intentionally distort guitar amps and things

I don't doubt that you may like the sound of your analog tape recorders to digital recording devices.

What I take issue with is "which is more accurate to the original signal?"

I submit that tape is "broken" but its broken in a way you like. Just like how we intentionally distort guitar amps and things

Digital sound will always be like minced meat you try to put together to a proper steak again.

Even Cassette recordings of the best ones will have a more natural sound than digital music recordings.

"dolph"

Digital sound will always be like minced meat you try to put together to a proper steak again.

Even Cassette recordings of the best ones will have a more natural sound than digital music recordings.

"dolph"

Well you've convinced me! Tonight I sell all my digital gear. Tomorrow, I buy a kick ass cassette deck. (With Dolby NR!!)

Seriously dude, when someone is THAT sure that they're right--and no one else might be--that's when I know they're probably not worth listening to.

Well you've convinced me! Tonight I sell all my digital gear. Tomorrow, I buy a kick ass cassette deck. (With Dolby NR!!)

Seriously dude, when someone is THAT sure that they're right--and no one else might be--that's when I know they're probably not worth listening to.

Name me the best masterings you know in the digital domain and I will eaily find and tell you analog masterings released on LP kicking ass to the mastering you mentioned.

Wether or not I am able to transfer to cassette and make it in a way that still is the digital releas superior will remain for ever a secret unless you come to my Country for me to convinse you.
.................dude.

"dolph"

"dolph"

define " natural"?

which sort of distortion is more "natural" than accurate?

Name me the best masterings you know in the digital domain and I will eaily find and tell you analog masterings released on LP kicking ass to the mastering you mentioned.

Wether or not I am able to transfer to cassette and make it in a way that still is the digital releas superior will remain for ever a secret unless you come to my Country for me to convinse you.
.................dude.

"dolph"

Your mastery (pun intended) has clearly trumped my puny brain. I surrender to your vast knowledge and your humble wisdom. Please don't strike me as I back away timidly...

Enjoy yourself! Someone should!

Maybe you just do not have adequate surrounding set-up or ears to reveal differences.
Wouldn't surprise me.

"dolph"

Well, I have sold and given away over 500 copies of a compilation to many people and friends. If all those people don't have "adequate surroundings set-up or ears" to reveal the differences, you have a totally moot point AND are saying that recording in analog or digital simply don't matter, yes?

If only golden ears like you can tell the difference, how could the difference really be that big of a deal?

Therefore, if all that is true, you have no argument and we can get back to discussing something important like "What is the best mic for less than $100?"

Oh BTW: I simply love guys like you coming here and TELLING me how something sounds without ever actually hearing it. How is that possible?

Very strange.

Well, I have sold and given away over 500 copies of a compilation to many people and friends. If all those people don't have "adequate surroundings set-up or ears" to reveal the differences, you have a totally moot point AND are saying that recording in analog or digital simply don't matter, yes?

If only golden ears like you can tell the difference, how could the difference really be that big of a deal?

Therefore, if all that is true, you have no argument and we can get back to discussing something important like "What is the best mic for less than $100?"

Oh BTW: I simply love guys like you coming here and TELLING me how something sounds without ever actually hearing it. How is that possible?

Very strange.

Let's settle this! You said you have recordings on both formats. Post a few up here and let us vote on which one sounds better! :)

Let's settle this! You said you have recordings on both formats. Post a few up here and let us vote on which one sounds better! :)

Of course, the real test would be to have the same song recorded on both formats, but for someone with golden ears like Dolph, he should easily be able to tell which is which!

I would love to, but I have no place to upload any samples. If there is a simple server to put it on, easy. But, I hate the hoops and signup shit that you have to go through.

Analog or digital?

Once and for all--I say both for Pete's sake! And at the same darn time! Just put one on each wrist!

Attachments

• watches-1298.jpg
    watches-1298.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 45
ok ....fess-up...

Is your other user name 'JordanD'?

I have no Idea who JordanD is.
I'm Danish.

Do you know where Denmark is?

I participate in more than 40 HiFi and pro-sound fora around the world with the same nickname.

I've been music lover since the mid 60's
I had R2R and TT's since back then.
I had digital equipment since before it was launched in shops due to being A/V consultant for danish public services.

I've been doing master recordings for radio broadcasters and at live events from the early 80's
Never advertised with what I was doing.
Only Mouth-to-mouth PR-kind of stuff.

I only do it for fun today and I only do it very rarely.
My verdict is that the digital (> ~ = 24/96) equipment do the back-up.

I'm serious when stating digital is a inferior format.
That is in the context of speaking potential of sound quality.

There's no doubt digital is easy to do, edit, downmix and publish.
There's no doubt digital is user friendly beyond any analog attempt ever.

There's no doubt that the majority wants digital for those reasons.
If or when people get back to their senses and demand quality, the analog formats get's back in demand.

LP's are having a renaissance while CD's are downhill.

Never has this many tape recorders been traded as used equipment.

Read the writing on the wall.

But my post about uploading Rell tape was a joking response on a foolish suggestion.

Forgive me the bad language.

"dolph"

I have no Idea who JordanD is.
I'm Danish.

Do you know where Denmark is?

I participate in more than 40 HiFi and pro-sound fora around the world with the same nickname.

I've been music lover since the mid 60's
I had R2R and TT's since back then.
I had digital equipment since before it was launched in shops due to being A/V consultant for danish public services.

I've been doing master recordings for radio broadcasters and at live events from the early 80's
Never advertised with what I was doing.
Only Mouth-to-mouth PR-kind of stuff.

I only do it for fun today and I only do it very rarely.
My verdict is that the digital (> ~ = 24/96) equipment do the back-up.

There's no doubt that the majority wants digital for those reasons.
If or when people get back to their senses and demand quality, the analog formats get's back in demand.

Never has this many tape recorders been traded as used equipment.

Read the writing on the wall.

But my post about uploading Rell tape was a joking response on a foolish suggestion.

Forgive me the bad language.

"dolph"

yeah, ok...that's cool!:)
So are you really JordanD?......:confused:

yeah, ok...that's cool!:)
So are you really JordanD?......:confused:

NO I'm not.
And who the f...k is JD?

Check other hifi or pro-sound fora and you will get assurance for my steady nickname identity.
It's up to you to do the work here.

My credentials are fine and existing.
My credibility is intact.

Don't continue trying to throw suspicion on me for being some other bloke that you obviously don't like.

If you do I will get pi***d off on you and you will end up like the mentioned JD.

Can we move on now?

"dolph"

I don't know what has persuaded to make me join this debacle. This debate has been going on since the dawn of digital, and nothing we say on this board is going to solve a magic riddle or change anyone's own personal opinion.

Dolph, if analog sounds better to your ears, that's great. You get your opinion and I'm not going to tell you it's wrong.

However, this is a home recording BBS. Fact1: Most of us have sound quality issues caused by a variety of other factors (inferior signal chain, etc.) without the need to worry about format.

Fact2: Digital has gotten to the state where the average consumer either can't tell the difference between superdisc, CD, and .mp3 or they simply don't care anymore. You correctly state that CD's are on the downslope - but it's not because of the sound quality of the CD. It because the vast majority of consumers now purchase their music through digital files. If everyone had an honest-to-goodness HiFi system at home and cared enough about sound quality, this debate would have reason to continue... but they don't. People download crappy .mp3's to their iPods, computers, and cell phones. That's how they listen to music.

I'm not debating that your analog setup doesn't sound better than my digital one. But in the end, the consumer is buying in a dithered-down and compressed digital format, so what's the point?

NO I'm not.
And who the f...k is JD?

Check other hifi or pro-sound fora and you will get assurance for my steady nickname identity.
It's up to you to do the work here.

My credentials are fine and existing.
My credibility is intact.

Don't continue trying to throw suspicion on me for being some other bloke that you obviously don't like.

If you do I will get pi***d off on you and you will end up like the mentioned JD.

Can we move on now?

"dolph"

ok...so I guess you're not JordanD......geeeesh!

So are you really WhiteStrat?:confused:

Back