analog mixer console how to do automation?

Wow.

walters obviously looks up some of this stuff and looks like he asks a question then answers it...with a question. If the guy can't tell the difference between a buss and an insert, he obviously doesn't know about circuity and resistors in a mixer. Pretty funny, but painfully confusing to follow.

Thanks alot SonicAlbert

If a track is not on a buss number channel then its bypass and goes straight to the channel strips buss lines its not on a group/bussing line right?

What is Before bussing lines and What is after bussing lines?
How do u put effects "before" bussing/group line and how do u put effects "After" bussing/group lines?

the compression, eq, and some other fx are done on the busses

So sonic when u use the compression,eq,fx u don't use Aux or inserts right
do u use the Bussing output sends and returns jacks?

Because exampe track#1 if u put a compressor on the insert and fx delay on the Aux and put track#1 on buss#1 and track#2 on buss#1 and track#3 on buss#1 then the busses are going to get summed or routed to the insert compress and Aux fx delay is that how the buss routing works?

Is there a global buss which u can put compresson on all the busses even the channel strip buss lines the tracks that are not on group/busses?

My Mixer console only has 8 busses how do i get 14 or 30 busses? i would like to extend my busses what can i do to get more busses?

Bussing tech.

1.) Merging alot of tracks together onto one buss channel line
2.) Y cord bussing
3.) Daisy chain bussing
4.) Channel jumping bussing
5.) Double or triple bussing
6.) Layering bussing
7.) Splitting bussing
8.) Bleeding bussing

The master group has group inserts for #1 -8 bussing lines
i need more like 30 or 60 buss lines how can i extend them more?
you can put effect processors on the master group inserts buss lines from buss#1-8

Buss#1= hard Compression
Buss#2= Soft Compression
Buss#3=phaser
Buss#4=Flanger
Buss#5=Delay
Buss#6=chorus
Buss#7=tremolo
Buss#8=Dry signal "bleeding track"

Aux#1= EMT reverb this is for all the tracks 1-48tracks

So if u put track#1 on all 1-6 busses then it Layers all the effects
from 1-6 effects
put track#2 just buss#2 its only going to have soft compression
put track#3 on buss#5 its only going to have delay
put track#4 on buss#5,buss#6,buss#1 its going to have delay,chorus and hard compression

Track#5 on buss#1,Buss#4,buss#7,buss#8
This will have hard compression,flanger,tremolo, bleeding from another track with it.

Track#6 on buss#8 this track#6 will bleed into track#5's effects with track#5 mixing them together "bleed submixing"

Bussing Tech
#10.) Flipping the channels L and R to R to L

How do u FLIP the channels from Left to right to right to left with bussing?

Ironklad Audio said:
that's a whooooooooooole lot question asking...

anyways, the only way to do automation from an analog console is to listen to the songs and determine what changes to make and when...then write down EXACTLY what they are.

ex. 1:35, drums -2.1db
2:10 vocals -6db@100hz
an on and on and on

then you hit record on the 2-track, and ride your faders and eq's and whatever else according to your notes. the resulting 2-track recording will reflect the changes you made.

That isnt automation Thats manualation. :)
Automation is when the mixer or mixing software does the changes atuaomatically.

I would sugest buying a programme like Cubase. Relativelty cheap compared to Pro Tools, but still a really good programme. Very easy to automate.

Eck

First, you go out and buy a whole bunch of tiny electric motors and relays. Then you carefully mount each motor to a fader. The relays you can mount anywhere, as long as you have wires long enough to reach between the relays and the switches you wish to automate. Next you have to come up with some kind of servo amp to drive the motors. That shouldnt be too hard, as there are lots of "off-the shelf" units available from distributers who handle motion control devices. Now that you have all the hardware assembled and wired up, you must devise a scheme for keeping track of where you are in the song, and telling the motors and relays what to do and when to do it. So far, a piece of cake, right??? So start at the beginning and get some catalogs and begin researching the sources for the items you will need. If you have any questions, you can call the manufacturers tech support team. they will be very happy to give you any advice or additional info you may need.
Now get busy.
Post a thread when you are finished..

Please record the conversations with the technical support persons, convert to mp3 and post on soundclick.
thanks
chazba

Last edited:
feed the virus people. feed it. :rolleyes: (not those who fuck with him, but attempt to give him serious answers) good for you, you poor, misguided bastards.

the lonely desolate hallways of the human mind.....enough to make me vomit!

walters said:
My Mixer console only has 8 busses how do i get 14 or 30 busses? i would like to extend my busses what can i do to get more busses?

To get more true busses you'd need to buy a mixer that was built with them. Typical configurations have 8, 16, or 24 busses.

You can fake 16 busses on an 8 buss board by splitting the busses on a patchbay, and then processing each half of the split differently.

As far as flipping left to right and vice versa, you could probably do that simply by panning the buss returns. If that's what you mean.

You can fake 16 busses on an 8 buss board by splitting the busses on a patchbay, and then processing each half of the split differently.

Can't i use a Splitter box that breaks out the mono buss into like 2 or 3 parallel splits

U use a patchbay on the 8 buss outputs jacks ?

As far as flipping left to right and vice versa, you could probably do that simply by panning the buss returns. If that's what you mean.

Older mixers had a Even/Odd switch so when u were panning Left to right u hit the Even/Odd switch and it FLIP the pan pot from right to left or left to right im trying to make a Even/Odd switch from a buss channel

I'm trying to FLIP the pan pot it says Left to right but i want a switch so i can flip it from left to right or right to left that my goal i think eddie kramer does this trick with bussing lines

Yes, I use a patchbay for splitting. But that's because I have patchbays and it's easy to do. A splitter box should work just as well.

Thanks SonicAlbert

I wish peavey,carvin or behringer made a 24 bussline mixer or a 16 also
i have only found 8 buss

Do u know any cheap mixers that have 24 busslines

I use the behringer 9000 it has 48 inputs but only 8 busslines

Do u think u might know how to do this please
FLIP the pan pot it says Left to right but i want a switch so i can flip it from left to right or right to left

Its a pseudo surround panning so when u turn the pan pot from left to right the pan pot stops so if u hit the FLIP switch it makes it from right to left so its like a pseudo 360 effect instead of back and forth 180degree pan pots

I'm really not sure about that flipping the buss thing. I do remember the even/odd thing from some old boards, but it's been a while.

If you want 16-24 busses in an even remotely affordable way, you need to look at buying a used big mixing board. There are a lot out there right now I think, but you have to make sure they are in good condition or the restoration and maintainence will kill you.

The other option is to go with a computer based DAW. In a software mixer you can usually set up as many busses as you need, limited by the CPU power only and the number of hardware outputs the soundcard has. If you use plugins then you are not limited by the hardware outputs, and can use as many busses and plugins as your computer will allow.

i think the even/odd switch would FLIP the wires on the pan pot the outer ones because the pan pot is crossfade between right channel and Left channel so it reversed the channels or wires its really suck they don't make them on these new boards only the older ones

I think splitter boxes are the best to fake the busslines

I think the behringer 9000 has a serial link to link 2 of them to make 16 busslines so i would have to buy another behringer 9000

But the way u use Bussline is like Aux channels buy putting signal processors on the busslines is the same as aux tracks pretty much

So if u have 2 Aux on your mixing board and have 8 busslines then thats a total of 10 Aux channels if u put 8 effects on the busslines and use the bussing with signal processors

SonicAlbert i found the external box its called a Z-Hamster cage this is what is does

Z-Hamster Cage (HC-1)
Cross fader reverse switch box for the scratching DJ - The perfect addition to any scratch mixer!
Features:
Cross fader reverse switch box for the scratching DJ
Plug turntables directly into the Hamster Cage
With a flick of a switch, change crossfades from channel 1 to channel 2 and from channel 2 to channel 1 (1/2 to 2/1)

I need a Pan output so this Z-Hamster cage box goes after the Left and right buss lines of "(Each channel strip track)" i think thats why using bussing lines because if i put track#1 on buss#1 buss#1 output insert has stereo outs Left and right busslines from the pan pot so i can FLIP the Left and right busslines iwth this Z-Hamster cage box using busslines

Is each bussline stereo or mono? if its stereo then it outputs the left and right buss lines from the track channel strip assigned to it then i can "Flip"
the left and right lines from channel 1 to channel 2 and from channel 2 to channel 1 (1/2 to 2/1)

:rolleyes:
walters said:
i think the even/odd switch would FLIP the wires on the pan pot the outer ones because the pan pot is crossfade between right channel and Left channel so it reversed the channels or wires its really suck they don't make them on these new boards only the older ones

I think splitter boxes are the best to fake the busslines

I think the behringer 9000 has a serial link to link 2 of them to make 16 busslines so i would have to buy another behringer 9000

But the way u use Bussline is like Aux channels buy putting signal processors on the busslines is the same as aux tracks pretty much

So if u have 2 Aux on your mixing board and have 8 busslines then thats a total of 10 Aux channels if u put 8 effects on the busslines and use the bussing with signal processors
:rolleyes:

walters said:
don't have automation how can i do 48 tracks of automation during mixdown?
when the mixing board is analog

The best way to have automation is.

Go to your local zoo and steal 24 monkeys and let each one control 2 faders.

I checked out the Z-Hamster cage, it looks pretty cool!

Z Hamster Cage

Walters could you explain further how I can insert this into my Mackie 8 bus to convert it to a 16, I'm still confused.

timboZ said:
The best way to have automation is.

Go to your local zoo and steal 24 monkeys and let each one control 2 faders.

Still not exacgtly automation but Im getting where you are coming from for sure.

I used to have monkeys helping with my mixes, but they were more inclined as producers than automonkeys. :)

Eck

You guys are soooo last century!

What you need is the Honda/SSL MixerBot!

G.

Attachments

• asimo_eng.jpg
    asimo_eng.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 33
Back