An honest question from someone who doesn't understand rap...

scorpio01169 said:
what i dont understand is.... my son and my nephew and their friends listen to snap music (which i cant stand), but as they are listening to it they talk all the way through the song then a quarter or half way through they skip to the next song which sounded like the last song. they have about 40 mix cd's and 3/4 of them have the same songs on them but maybe in a different order. and it's like that with almost every person that listens to rap that i know.

They MUST truely be the "New Generation" of rap listeners who has no concept of what rap really is. They sound like mere fans of what ever is hot right now.......I don't know if you're making a statement or asking a question. But I think rap is a lost art in todays music. With that being said, I expect that out of todays youth, who has no knowledge of what rap really is!

Trumpspade said:
They MUST truely be the "New Generation" of rap listeners who has no concept of what rap really is. They sound like mere fans of what ever is hot right now.......I don't know if you're making a statement or asking a question. But I think rap is a lost art in todays music. With that being said, I expect that out of todays youth, who has no knowledge of what rap really is!
i still dont understand where people get this concept of what real rap is? snap music is as much hip hop as rappers delight, the breaks, hip hop horay, or even big poppa. people just say its not rap because they dont like it. thats fine u dont have to like it but that doesnt make it not hip hop

I'm sorry but the fact that the artists are black does not make snap music part of hip hop. It's just simplified techno.

jibran said:
I'm sorry but the fact that the artists are black does not make snap music part of hip hop. It's just simplified techno.

I agree with Jibran completely!

Xman, I don't know how old you are, but I think we obviously have a different take on what Hiphop is. It probably boils down to our own taste and opinions, but that snap music is NOT hiphop to me! Hiphop, in reference to some of the groups you named, is ALL about lyrics. Snap music lyrics are wacked as Hell...Don't take too much thinking to say "Lean witit, Rock witit" and basically nothing in between that. Hiphop is an art! Again, lyrics mean everything. Everytime someone comes out with new type of sound, you can't just stamp it Hiphop, that's a Diss to the art. Snap music is a new form of RAP, I'll buy that. But please don't call it hiphop!

Don't mean to sound harsh, or like I'm a know-it-all, it's just my opinion!

Peace!

Trumpspade said:
I agree with Jibran completely!

Xman, I don't know how old you are, but I think we obviously have a different take on what Hiphop is. It probably boils down to our own taste and opinions, but that snap music is NOT hiphop to me! Hiphop, in reference to some of the groups you named, is ALL about lyrics. Snap music lyrics are wacked as Hell...Don't take too much thinking to say "Lean witit, Rock witit" and basically nothing in between that. Hiphop is an art! Again, lyrics mean everything. Everytime someone comes out with new type of sound, you can't just stamp it Hiphop, that's a Diss to the art. Snap music is a new form of RAP, I'll buy that. But please don't call it hiphop!

Don't mean to sound harsh, or like I'm a know-it-all, it's just my opinion!

Peace!
Im 23 Ive been listening to hip hop since the 80s. To me at one point hip hop was all about the lyrics. But thats not the case right now. U could say that 95% of hip hop now isnt hip hop. it has nothing to do with being black. Im offended that u would even say that to be honest. Kuz most of the worst hip hop ive ever heard comes from white boys. That doesnt make it not hip hop it just means its bad hip hop. Hip hop started off as a party genre if it was all about the lyrics why not just do spoken word

X man Da Legend said:
Im 23 Ive been listening to hip hop since the 80s. To me at one point hip hop was all about the lyrics. But thats not the case right now. U could say that 95% of hip hop now isnt hip hop. it has nothing to do with being black. Im offended that u would even say that to be honest. Kuz most of the worst hip hop ive ever heard comes from white boys. That doesnt make it not hip hop it just means its bad hip hop. Hip hop started off as a party genre if it was all about the lyrics why not just do spoken word

Nah cuz, I think you have it twisted. (My opinion again! :) )
How can you say 95% of hiphop isn't hiphop? That's proving what Jibran has been saying all along. Snap music is NOT hiphop to him, me, and millions of other people. (Now that does not mean I don't like it, because I be rocking my butt off) Hiphop is STILL about the lyrics, that is why all rap is not hiphop.....And not to go back and forth, because we can agree to disagree and move on, but how can you have been listening to hiphop since the 80's and the most you could have been was 6 years old? Again, I am not a "Know-it-all", but I was around when hiphop evolved, that was my era. Others can attest to that era too! :) , but it's more than what you think....Hiphop introduced and paved the way for the different styles of rap we hear today. So we should give props to the pioneers and not give props to alot of the music we hear today, by calling it hiphop!

Peace!

X man Da Legend said:
That's funny, cuz a ton of the horrible hip-hop I hear comes from blacks as well. Yet the moajority of them get a "pass" because of the melanin factor.

Regardless of color, wack rap is wack rap. It's unfortunate that the populace is so moronic at this point, they can't tell the difference between great music, and horrible music. Telling people to accept snap music as a part of hip-hop is like saying "accept this wack sounding music, because it's sort of like your genre". Snap music is not Hip-Hop. That's like saying Disco was Motown music, when it wasn't. It was just wack, and people tried to force others to accept it. You all remember Disco right? Oh wait... it died. Just like snap music will.

It's funny that so many people think music sales are down because of the internet. The truth is, the majority of music today is utter crap. So people won't waste their money on it. Record labels are out of touch with what people want. So they spend their budgets on payola trying to force feed the mainstream with mediocre garbage.

I don't see Justin Timberlake or Christina Aguilera pissing and moaning about record sales... I find it funny that true artists are still pushing heavy units, and the only people crying about it are the ones who can't be innovative and creative. Formula albums are a dime a dozen, and no one can tell the difference between D4L and the Franchise Boys (for example).

Ask G-Unit how to make a formulaic album and watch it flop... they're experts at it. ;)

Trumpspade said:
Nah cuz, I think you have it twisted. (My opinion again! :) )
How can you say 95% of hiphop isn't hiphop? That's proving what Jibran has been saying all along. Snap music is NOT hiphop to him, me, and millions of other people. (Now that does not mean I don't like it, because I be rocking my butt off) Hiphop is STILL about the lyrics, that is why all rap is not hiphop.....And not to go back and forth, because we can agree to disagree and move on, but how can you have been listening to hiphop since the 80's and the most you could have been was 6 years old? Again, I am not a "Know-it-all", but I was around when hiphop evolved, that was my era. Others can attest to that era too! :) , but it's more than what you think....Hiphop introduced and paved the way for the different styles of rap we hear today. So we should give props to the pioneers and not give props to alot of the music we hear today, by calling it hiphop!

Peace!
explain the difference between rap and hip hop then? i have only heard this from people who don't get it. hip hop has always been a culture while rap music has always been the music of the culture. I said 95% of what is called hip hop today isnt what its said to be according to u. Which i believe is false. And I really don't understand what my age has to do with the music at all. It isn't like I can't and don't go back and listen to what was then and what is now. The only thing that has really changed are the faces and the topics. And even if I was listening to rap at 6 years old that wouldn't make a big difference. Matter of fact I was tho. First rap song I remember fallingin love with was I'm Bad. Yes I was 4 years old but that doesn't discredit that I've listend to the music all of my life and have went back and studied what was before then. Either way the point is if rap hip hop or whatever u wanna call it is about lyrics then it died years ago.

Change of POETS said:
That's funny, cuz a ton of the horrible hip-hop I hear comes from blacks as well. Yet the moajority of them get a "pass" because of the melanin factor.

Regardless of color, wack rap is wack rap. It's unfortunate that the populace is so moronic at this point, they can't tell the difference between great music, and horrible music. Telling people to accept snap music as a part of hip-hop is like saying "accept this wack sounding music, because it's sort of like your genre". Snap music is not Hip-Hop. That's like saying Disco was Motown music, when it wasn't. It was just wack, and people tried to force others to accept it. You all remember Disco right? Oh wait... it died. Just like snap music will.

It's funny that so many people think music sales are down because of the internet. The truth is, the majority of music today is utter crap. So people won't waste their money on it. Record labels are out of touch with what people want. So they spend their budgets on payola trying to force feed the mainstream with mediocre garbage.

I don't see Justin Timberlake or Christina Aguilera pissing and moaning about record sales... I find it funny that true artists are still pushing heavy units, and the only people crying about it are the ones who can't be innovative and creative. Formula albums are a dime a dozen, and no one can tell the difference between D4L and the Franchise Boys (for example).

Ask G-Unit how to make a formulaic album and watch it flop... they're experts at it. ;)
bad music is bad music. Im not saying that at all. nor am i saying that being black has anything to do with it. that was response to what other dude said. I dont care what color u r if ur good ur good. but to say that snap music is not hip hop because u dont like it is nonsense. only reason why people say it isnt hip hop is because it isnt lyrical. a lot of hip hop/rap isnt lyrical. your arguements towards snap music not being hip hop (good or not is not the arguement im presenting thats personal taste) is just inaccurate.

X man Da Legend said:
explain the difference between rap and hip hop then? i have only heard this from people who don't get it. hip hop has always been a culture while rap music has always been the music of the culture. I said 95% of what is called hip hop today isnt what its said to be according to u. Which i believe is false. And I really don't understand what my age has to do with the music at all. It isn't like I can't and don't go back and listen to what was then and what is now. The only thing that has really changed are the faces and the topics. And even if I was listening to rap at 6 years old that wouldn't make a big difference. Matter of fact I was tho. First rap song I remember fallingin love with was I'm Bad. Yes I was 4 years old but that doesn't discredit that I've listend to the music all of my life and have went back and studied what was before then. Either way the point is if rap hip hop or whatever u wanna call it is about lyrics then it died years ago.

I'll quit after this, I swear!!!!!!
I'm not gonna explain, what I think, the difference is between RAP and HIPHOP, thay have been discussed over and over again.....Do research, or better yet, stick to your own opinion regarding what it is....That's cool! :cool:
But.......The reason your age has something to do with your perception of Rap/Hiphop, is because of your responses. I got a lil homie, he's 27, I'm 40, but you talking about an old soul.......He is as old as I am when it comes to the Hiphop era, 80's P-funk, Rick James etc....So I don't use age to discriminate against nor to point out ignorance. But you're adamantly throwing anything into the hiphop category, and your disrespecting the game. That is where your age might factor into it! The analogy Change used with Motown and Disco was great! You can't force feed a genre into another. There are so many spinoffs of Hiphop and it appalls me that it is mentioned in the same breath. I tell you what, ask some of the Pioneers and originators of the game what they consider Hiphop! Hiphop is not totally dead. Read some articles on the web by Kool Herc, Flash, KRS one, AFrikka Bambata, and other cats......Hell, I heard LL the other week talk about it and he broke it down well to me. He can totally speak on it because he's been in ALL phases of it! I'll try and post some articles from the PIONEERS if you can't find any!

Peace!

Trumpspade said:
I'll quit after this, I swear!!!!!!
I'm not gonna explain, what I think, the difference is between RAP and HIPHOP, thay have been discussed over and over again.....Do research, or better yet, stick to your own opinion regarding what it is....That's cool! :cool:
But.......The reason your age has something to do with your perception of Rap/Hiphop, is because of your responses. I got a lil homie, he's 27, I'm 40, but you talking about an old soul.......He is as old as I am when it comes to the Hiphop era, 80's P-funk, Rick James etc....So I don't use age to discriminate against nor to point out ignorance. But you're adamantly throwing anything into the hiphop category, and your disrespecting the game. That is where your age might factor into it! The analogy Change used with Motown and Disco was great! You can't force feed a genre into another. There are so many spinoffs of Hiphop and it appalls me that it is mentioned in the same breath. I tell you what, ask some of the Pioneers and originators of the game what they consider Hiphop! Hiphop is not totally dead. Read some articles on the web by Kool Herc, Flash, KRS one, AFrikka Bambata, and other cats......Hell, I heard LL the other week talk about it and he broke it down well to me. He can totally speak on it because he's been in ALL phases of it! I'll try and post some articles from the PIONEERS if you can't find any!

Peace!
Hip Hop was built on breaking the rules. Being different and expressive. Snap music is a reflection of that. Its dance music a form of expression expressed via hip hop. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it not hip hop. You talk about all of these eastcoast originators but what about people in the south or outwest do their opinions not matter because hip hop didnt start there? Thats like saying unless u have some super lyrical song over a sampled loop and a break beat that its not hip hop. My arguement to u has been that its not so black and white. Open your mind to what things are now vs what they are when u remember them. Personally I agree that snap music isn't great music. But that doesn't stop it from being hip hop and until u can completely come up with a concept of what is and isnt its always going to remain a grey area. Your pushing your opinion off as fact as am I. But just from what you said here your idea of hip hop is really only what was poppin in new york when it was the hot spot. and the concept of new york hip hop being the only way hip hop is supposed to be to me is very closed minded.

X man Da Legend said:
Hip Hop was built on breaking the rules. Being different and expressive. Snap music is a reflection of that. Its dance music a form of expression expressed via hip hop. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it not hip hop. You talk about all of these eastcoast originators but what about people in the south or outwest do their opinions not matter because hip hop didnt start there? Thats like saying unless u have some super lyrical song over a sampled loop and a break beat that its not hip hop. My arguement to u has been that its not so black and white. Open your mind to what things are now vs what they are when u remember them. Personally I agree that snap music isn't great music. But that doesn't stop it from being hip hop and until u can completely come up with a concept of what is and isnt its always going to remain a grey area. Your pushing your opinion off as fact as am I. But just from what you said here your idea of hip hop is really only what was poppin in new york when it was the hot spot. and the concept of new york hip hop being the only way hip hop is supposed to be to me is very closed minded.

I didn't say half of the stuff you accused me of saying. I acutally said I bounce to alot of that snap BS :D and I never brought up NY, why are you misquoting me? All I said is that it IS NOT HIPHOP!!! No matter how you slice it. Even as bad as you want it to be...There is NO such thing as NEW hip hop. Is it a form of RAP? YES......

You sound like you're mad hiphop didn't originate on the west coast or down south, it doesn't matter where, it had to start somewhere.... Do you see how D'angelo, Musiq soulchild, Bilal, Angie Stone, call their music NEO soul? They don't call it RnB, it is what it is!!!!!
You know what?

I GIVE UP!!!

Last edited:
My lil brother, who is 38, just chewed me a new a$$hole! He agrees with you! He says it is all hiphop.......Just a different kind. His interpretation of hiphop is street culture. Sounds of the Streets....And if you go in certain areas of the world, you have different personalities and different forms of expression. Original hiphop started of a worldwide movement and has since turned into interpertation. So if that is the case, hiphop to everyone is diiferent. SO I respect your opinion and I will try to be open minded of all forms rap even if it is GARBAGE!!!!LOL
My brother was pissed at my reponse though, just thought I would share that with you! :cool:

I always felt that hiphop was a form of rap, and not all rap is hiphop..... That is why I thought they came out with Eascoast rap, west coast rap, Gangsta Rap, and other titles......If I'm wrong, I'm wrong!

I'm a believer of Hip-Hop as the culture, and Rap is the artform of expression. I make Hip-Hop music, and Rap music. It's synonymous.

However, the analogy I gave between Disco and Motown is legitimate. Media, record labels, etc... all tried to push Disco as the "new motown" and the Motown movement was enraged. Rightfully so, I might add. Does that mean Disco music didn't have Motown or Soul elements? No, not at all. Was it derived from those? Yes. Was Hip-Hop derived from Jazz and Soul, and Motown, and African Beat? Yes. Can you fit Hip-Hop or Rap into any of those Genres? No. It simply doesn't fit. It incorporates elements of them, beatwise, lyric wise (especially old school rap), and largely appeals to a similar audience. But it isn't considered a part of those genres. Why? Because it's different.

It's odd that you accuse people who won't accept Snap Music as hip-hop of being closed minded. Yet you're so closed minded you want to paint it all with the same brush of "Hip-Hop" because they're somewhat similar. Instead of being open minded to the audible fact, they're not the same at all. D4L is nothing like Snoop Dogg. Franchise Boyz are nothing like Nas. Hip-Hop is Hip- Hop, and Snap Music is Snap Music. You've witnessed the birth of an entirely new genre of music, with similar elements of the culture it's born of. Yet you won't let it be it's own genre, and rather accuse the rest of us as being closed minded, when we're open minded enough to realize it's an entirely different genre of music.

Pot, meet kettle.

The only thing I don't understand is - why is every single track on "Fear of a Black Planet" at the exact same tempo?!?!?! Couldn't they mix it up a little?

Yeah, I know that's an old record, but to this day that question has been on my mind.

man this is how it really goes,

not everybody who listens to rap cares about hip hop or any of that shit, they just want to hear dance music, their just casual listiners, n like i say, for all tha people who dont like it or think its not hip hop theres juss as much that do like it, and thinks its hip hop mucic in its purest form...

n if that dude grew up in tha era that he said he did hed know that hip hop was originaly simple dance music, for people who were gettin tired of disco, n liked this new sounding music they could party to,

check this out

James Brown releases 'The Big Payback', an early funk gem that emphasizes the groove rather than melody over his aggressively spoken vocals.

A young immigrant from Kingston, Jamaica named Clive Campbell begins deejaying at local parties. As DJ Kool Herc, he invents a new technique of deejaying that would cut two of the same records and extend the middle instrumental, or 'break,' of the popular funk and disco songs of the day.

DJ Hollywood, a club DJ from Manhattan; begins rhyming over popular disco hits at his trendy night spots. It is alleged that Hollywood coins the term 'hip-hop' though some say his partner, Lovebug Starski, came up with the term.

A former gang member-turned-DJ named Afrika Bambaataa meets a young grafitti artist named Fab 5 Freddy; a regular on the burgeoning hip-hop scene. Soon after, Bambaataa forms the Zulu Nation and catagorizes what he calls the 'Four Elements' of hip-hop: DJing, Breaking, Graf Artists and MCing

DJ Kool Herc coins the term break-boy to describe dancers that would dance during his extended breaks in the music. Soon, the term is shortened to b-boy and the style is called 'breakdancing.' Herc also takes an up-and-coming DJ named Grandmaster Flash under his wings.

Grandmaster Flash begins working on a new, revolutionary technique of DJing: In addition to extending the break of a song, he begins mixing bits of two different songs together. Using headphones, he's able to get the songs to overlap and connect. His new 'mixing' technique would be adopted by every hip-hop DJ to follow.

Flash's partner, Mean Gene, has a thirteen-old-brother named Theodore that is also beginning to DJ at local parties. After accidently sliding the record under the needle; a young Grand Wizard Theodore takes DJing a step forward by pushing the record back and forth lightly under the needle during breaks. He calls his new technique 'scratching.'

A group of party promoters called the Force stumble across a young DJ named Kool DJ Kurt. One particularly bold and aggressive member of the Force is a young man named Russell Simmons.

The legendary Rock Steady Crew of breakdancers is founded in the Bronx.

The Crash Crew, one of the first recorded MC crews, forms in Harlem.

Russell "Rush" Simmons moves the Force to Queens and convinces Kool DJ Kurt to begin rapping. Simmons decides to change Kurt's name to Kurtis Blow and enlists his kid brother, Joey, to be Kurt's DJ. Joey changes his name to 'DJ Run.'

DJing, up to this point the primary force in hip-hop, begins to take a backseat to MCing.

The Cold Crush Brothers form after Almight KG meets DJ Charlie Chase.

Wendy Clark aka 'Lady B' begins spinning hip-hop records on WHAT 1340 AM in Philadelphia;furthering hip-hop's expansion outside of New York. Later that year, she also becomes one of hip-hop's first female artists when she releases "To the Beat Y'all."

The Funky Four+One is forms with one of hip-hop's first female MCs, Sha Rock.

The funk band Fatback releases 'King Tim III (Personality Jock).' Though it doesn't gain much attention, it is the first mainstream rap single.

Under manager Russell Simmons, Kurtis Blow becomes the first rapper to sign a record deal with a major label.

Sylvia Robinson founds Sugarhill Records and, after hearing a bootleg of The Cold Crush Brothers, decides to put together a rap group called 'The Sugarhill Gang.'

The Sugarhill Gang releases 'Rapper's Delight.' Built on a sample of Chic's disco hit 'Good Times' and written by Grandmaster Caz of the Cold Crush Brothers, it goes on to become hip-hop's first hit and mainstream America's first exposure to rap music.

In order to capitalize on the growth of MCing in hip-hip, Grandmaster Flash recruits three of his friends, Keith "Cowboy" Wiggins, Melvin "Melle Mel" and Nathaniel "Kid Creole" Glover, who perform as The 3 MCs. Soon, they add Guy "Raheim" Williams and Eddie "Scorpio" Morris and change their name to Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

The new wave band Blondie releases the single 'Rapture.' It features a rapping vocal by lead singer Debbie Harry and mentions Fab 5 Freddy and Grandmaster Flash, furthering hip-hop's push into the mainstream.

With "Rapper's Delight" still riding the charts, Kurtis Blow releases his first single, "Christmas Rappin'". Blow's second single, "The Breaks," is a hit; and becomes hip-hop's first gold single. In his shows, Blow now sometimes allows DJ Run to rhyme with him.

At a DJ battle in Two-Fifths Park in Hollis, Queens; DJ Run and his friend, Darryl "Easy Dee" McDaniels, meet a young DJ named Jason "Jazzy Jase" Mizell.

Treacherous Three release "The New Rap Language" as a single. It incorporates a new style of rapping, dubbed "speed-rapping."

Grandmaster Flash releases "The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash On the Wheels of Steel", the first record to only showcase turntablism.

Russell Simmons helps his little brother, Run, record a song called "Street Kid." It goes nowhere, but Run still wants to record. After hearing Run's friend, Darryl (now calling himself "D"), Russell begrudgingly makes Run and D a duo.

Whodini becomes the first rap group to shoot an official video for their song "Magic's Wand."

The film "Wild Style" is released. Showcasing DJs, graf artists, breakdancing and MC battles, it is Hollywood's first foray into hip-hop culture and begins a small "rapsploitation" period on film.

After Run and D graduate from high school, they enlist Jazzy Jase, their DJ friend from Hollis; who now calls himself 'Jam Master Jay'. Russell Simmons decides to change the group's name to Run DMC and begins work on a single. Simmons also lands the group a deal with Profile Records.

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five release 'The Message.' Moving away from hip-hop's party-oriented singles and focusing on the realities of inner-city poverty; it is a landmark moment for hip-hop.

the message came out in 1983, 13 years after hip hop was born, for almost a decade and a half, rap was nothing but party and club music, no creative lyricism, no multis, no metaphores, simmilies, or freestyles, just simple rapping that complimented the instrumentation

n people would complain n say, thats not music, thats not art, its just a fad...

so how could you say snap music isnt hip hop music when you dont even know what hip hop music was all about...

northern cali said:
man this is how it really goes,

not everybody who listens to rap cares about hip hop or any of that shit, they just want to hear dance music, their just casual listiners, n like i say, for all tha people who dont like it or think its not hip hop theres juss as much that do like it, and thinks its hip hop mucic in its purest form...

n if that dude grew up in tha era that he said he did hed know that hip hop was originaly simple dance music, for people who were gettin tired of disco, n liked this new sounding music they could party to,

check this out

the message came out in 1983, 13 years after hip hop was born, for almost a decade and a half, rap was nothing but party and club music, no creative lyricism, no multis, no metaphores, simmilies, or freestyles, just simple rapping that complimented the instrumentation

n people would complain n say, thats not music, thats not art, its just a fad...

so how could you say snap music isnt hip hop music when you dont even know what hip hop music was all about...

You know nothing of what you speak. Did you live it? No, you read about it... I've done extensive research on it, I lived a large part of it, I grew up in this culture. More than 90% of my life has been a part of this culture. You can't seem to grasp the totality of it's circumference, nor do you understand that this music is about culture first. Casual listeners, or "radio junkies" as I call them, have NO impact on this debate at all.

The casual listener has no bearing or impact on what is or isn't Hip-Hop. They turn on their radios and do what ClearChannel tells them to. They listen to what ClearChannel tells them is hot, and the purchase what is drilled into their mindless skulls. 95% of the populace are sheep. 3% challenge the norm, and 2% pave new paths.

Hip-Hop in it's inception, was made to appeal to the 5% (that's not a muslim term here) of the nation that said "F the system, we do what we want". It challenged the norm, it paved new paths in music, and it didn't care that the 95% hated them. Snap music is doing the same except it's not challenging anyone... It's paving it's own path, and saying "F the Hip-Hop system, we do what we want". It's funny, I met some of the Franchise Boys about 18 months ago right after "White Tee" had started to blow... They love hip-hop, and they love Rapping. But they told me that what they were doing wasn't really Hip-Hop. They couldn't describe it then... but I can see where they were coming from. It makes sense now. I'd call the Franchise Boys a lot closer to Rap than D4L, but I digress.

Here we are almost 30 years after Hip-Hop's birth, and the roles are completely reversed, because corporate theives got their paws on it, and deluted it to the point where the 95% are no longer threatened by it's existence. It doesn't challenege them, and it certainly doesn't require them to think outside the box. It's sad, really.

If you can honestly listen to Grand Master Flash, Kool Herc, Africa Bambattaa, etc... and not understand the mental challenges put forth in their music at that time period, you simply just don't get it. Nor will you ever get it. Yes, Hip-Hop was born out of keeping the party going by emcees spitting over loops from the DJ. It wasn't about rhyme scheme, technique or multi's. It was about keeping people on the dance floor.... AT THE PARTIES. But Hip-Hop on the corner, in the park, and in the community was WAY beyond that. It challenged the way people thought, acted, and reacted to their living situations. It stopped gang violence (Universal Zulu Nation anyone?) and began settling beefs with Battles on the mic. Hip-Hops inception was in the party scene, and it evolved into a culture. The culture moved far beyond the party, and Party Rap became a part of the culture it birthed.

You want to talk about the origins of hip-hop because you found an article about it's party origins online. Congrats for not being thorough in your research. Maybe you should investigate what Hip-Hop meant to the communities in the Bronx in the late seventies. How it changed the landscape of crime in their region, and how it influenced the youth to make better choices and reflect on the choices they were already making. How it challenged Government, and policies, and how it inspired a movement amongst the black populace.

I'll reiterate it for those of you who can't grasp it. Disco wasn't Motown. It was different. Snap Music isn't Hip-Hop, it's different. It's not even Rapping if you want to get technical about it, it's barely even rhyming. Snap Music is closer to House or Techno than it is Hip-Hop. So why won't you allow it to live and breathe in it's own right? Let it have it's own Genre, and let it live or die on it's own? Jeezy, Lil Flip, the Houston Scene, that's all Rap. It falls within the genre and fits in it's place. Snap music says "Screw your genre, I want to do this instead". Why won't you let it go? Do you want ownership of it because it's hot right now? Because it gets mainstream appeal? Because it makes money? Well, all those things spit in the face of what Hip-Hop is about... So if that's your reasoning, you aren't Hip-Hop either. You're a sell-out.

Ignorance perpetuates ignorance. Yet I wouldn't expect anyone who's into Snap music or Hyphy music to understand that. Just because you incorporate elements of the Hip-Hop culture into it, doesn't make it Hip-Hop. Let's call a spade a spade, and stop giving people more reasons to hate our culture than they already have. The fact that it's "Party Music" has no bearing on this discussion to me. Party Rap is Party Rap... (MC Hammer anyone?) and it will always have it's place on air, in the clubs, and in the parties. Snap Music doesn't fit into "Party Rap" for me and many other people living this Hip-Hop culture. People making Snap Music will even tell you it's not like Hip-Hop. But you keep insisting it is.

And seriously, if you think you're going to school someone on the culture, you're going to have to do some serious research on it.

Welcome to the Minstrel Show.

Yes... but I don't think the "hip hop" label came til the 80s. Also, there were socially conscious emcees, just not as popular. The Last Poets have been rapping on issues that matter for thirty years!
The only thing I don't understand is - why is every single track on "Fear of a Black Planet" at the exact same tempo?!?!?! Couldn't they mix it up a little?

Yeah, I know that's an old record, but to this day that question has been on my mind.
Hmm... I really don't know. Maybe they wanted the focus to be on the lyrics as opposed to the music? Chuck D, while a great artist, re-uses the same flow most of the time; that probably played a role.
Still a great LP though.

Change of POETS said:
You know nothing of what you speak. Did you live it? No, you read about it... I've done extensive research on it, I lived a large part of it, I grew up in this culture. More than 90% of my life has been a part of this culture. You can't seem to grasp the totality of it's circumference, nor do you understand that this music is about culture first. Casual listeners, or "radio junkies" as I call them, have NO impact on this debate at all.

The casual listener has no bearing or impact on what is or isn't Hip-Hop. They turn on their radios and do what ClearChannel tells them to. They listen to what ClearChannel tells them is hot, and the purchase what is drilled into their mindless skulls. 95% of the populace are sheep. 3% challenge the norm, and 2% pave new paths.

Hip-Hop in it's inception, was made to appeal to the 5% (that's not a muslim term here) of the nation that said "F the system, we do what we want". It challenged the norm, it paved new paths in music, and it didn't care that the 95% hated them. Snap music is doing the same except it's not challenging anyone... It's paving it's own path, and saying "F the Hip-Hop system, we do what we want". It's funny, I met some of the Franchise Boys about 18 months ago right after "White Tee" had started to blow... They love hip-hop, and they love Rapping. But they told me that what they were doing wasn't really Hip-Hop. They couldn't describe it then... but I can see where they were coming from. It makes sense now. I'd call the Franchise Boys a lot closer to Rap than D4L, but I digress.

Here we are almost 30 years after Hip-Hop's birth, and the roles are completely reversed, because corporate theives got their paws on it, and deluted it to the point where the 95% are no longer threatened by it's existence. It doesn't challenege them, and it certainly doesn't require them to think outside the box. It's sad, really.

If you can honestly listen to Grand Master Flash, Kool Herc, Africa Bambattaa, etc... and not understand the mental challenges put forth in their music at that time period, you simply just don't get it. Nor will you ever get it. Yes, Hip-Hop was born out of keeping the party going by emcees spitting over loops from the DJ. It wasn't about rhyme scheme, technique or multi's. It was about keeping people on the dance floor.... AT THE PARTIES. But Hip-Hop on the corner, in the park, and in the community was WAY beyond that. It challenged the way people thought, acted, and reacted to their living situations. It stopped gang violence (Universal Zulu Nation anyone?) and began settling beefs with Battles on the mic. Hip-Hops inception was in the party scene, and it evolved into a culture. The culture moved far beyond the party, and Party Rap became a part of the culture it birthed.

You want to talk about the origins of hip-hop because you found an article about it's party origins online. Congrats for not being thorough in your research. Maybe you should investigate what Hip-Hop meant to the communities in the Bronx in the late seventies. How it changed the landscape of crime in their region, and how it influenced the youth to make better choices and reflect on the choices they were already making. How it challenged Government, and policies, and how it inspired a movement amongst the black populace.

I'll reiterate it for those of you who can't grasp it. Disco wasn't Motown. It was different. Snap Music isn't Hip-Hop, it's different. It's not even Rapping if you want to get technical about it, it's barely even rhyming. Snap Music is closer to House or Techno than it is Hip-Hop. So why won't you allow it to live and breathe in it's own right? Let it have it's own Genre, and let it live or die on it's own? Jeezy, Lil Flip, the Houston Scene, that's all Rap. It falls within the genre and fits in it's place. Snap music says "Screw your genre, I want to do this instead". Why won't you let it go? Do you want ownership of it because it's hot right now? Because it gets mainstream appeal? Because it makes money? Well, all those things spit in the face of what Hip-Hop is about... So if that's your reasoning, you aren't Hip-Hop either. You're a sell-out.

Ignorance perpetuates ignorance. Yet I wouldn't expect anyone who's into Snap music or Hyphy music to understand that. Just because you incorporate elements of the Hip-Hop culture into it, doesn't make it Hip-Hop. Let's call a spade a spade, and stop giving people more reasons to hate our culture than they already have. The fact that it's "Party Music" has no bearing on this discussion to me. Party Rap is Party Rap... (MC Hammer anyone?) and it will always have it's place on air, in the clubs, and in the parties. Snap Music doesn't fit into "Party Rap" for me and many other people living this Hip-Hop culture. People making Snap Music will even tell you it's not like Hip-Hop. But you keep insisting it is.

And seriously, if you think you're going to school someone on the culture, you're going to have to do some serious research on it.

Welcome to the Minstrel Show.

man im one hip hop ass mothafucka, i am hip hop..

Back