American Music Supply?

I disagree. I've worked with crappy stands (radioshack). It stripped out so many times. I exchanged like 4 of em in a week I think. Then I finally got so pissed off I threw it away.

ooooh... I just got another example of eBay's "buyer's market"...

My sis needed a new phone... the fancy new sprint one that costs $300 reatil. Cant' get it anywhere for less than $299, since it's a brand new model...

just got it delivered to my door...

bought it brand new on eBay for $160 shipped

:p

:D

WATYF

I think its a little different with pro stuff because of such large differences in prices that people can find. When a phone costs 300 at target, its gonna cost the same at best buy, circuit city, or anywhere. Unless you find it at costco, maybe 250 or 80. That's why you got it cheaper on e-bay.

what happens a lot on e-bay is like what happens at garage sales. sometimes people have inherited or otherwise "found' items that they often don't have any idea of the market value. other times people just need to raise cash quickly, and price their item accordingly. either way, it leads to the possibility of finding a huge bargain.

WATYF said:

My sis needed a new phone... the fancy new sprint one that costs $300 reatil. Cant' get it anywhere for less than $299, since it's a brand new model...

The only people who think that eBay is a buyer's market are people who don't know any better. Especially with electronics.

Go do an eBay search for the Sony ZS-X3CP These things sell all the time on eBay for $100+ Sure seems like a great deal since every retailer sells them for $150. But I can tell you the store where all of those brand new Sony's came from (and yes it's in the US and no they're not grey market). And I can tell you that they cost the Sellers $49 a piece.

You have one example of eBay being a buyer's market? Just an active search for that Sony will show you 8 examples of eBay being a sellers market and if you do a completed items search, you'll see 66 more examples of a seller's market in just the last TWO WEEKS! And I would bet you that every one of those buyers is just as happy as you are about the "deal" that they got. :D

Want another example? Do a search for "genuine leather backpack" these are old news and have been flooding eBay for over a year, so the price is down to about $9 but they used to sell for $20. That's a great deal on a new leather backpack! Yeah, it's a deal for the seller because anybody can buy those backpacks online for about $6 if you know where to look.

I could go on and on. Sure there are individuals who have old items that they're just looking to get rid of, so you can occasionally find a deal. But everybody else can find that deal as well, so even if the seller was completely willing to sell the item dirt cheap, if it's a good item then other people will bid it up anyway.

What's the new phone that your sis bought? Brand/model#? If there was more than one auction for that item, then you didn't get lucky my friend, you just put a nice profit into somebody's pocket.

I NEVER lose money as a seller on eBay. I frequently purchase things online that I sell for 50-100% markup on ebay without any problem at all. In fact, just yesterday I sold an item for $37 that I got in the mail for FREE! An item that I sent in a request for, got it in the mail and then sold it for $37. Honestly I didn't think I'd make that much on it so now I'm going to get more of them mailed to me for free and keep on selling them.

In the end it doesn't really matter. If the buyer thinks that they got a good deal, then they did get a good deal, you know? But it's very rarely at the expense of the seller. It's a pretty safe bet that the seller isn't losing money, especially on new electronics.

Last edited:
WATYF said:

Holy crap, if you're talking about the Sanyo 6200 Sprint PCS Phone, you got smoked. I just found it for $99 (which also explains why there are so many of them for sale on eBay.)

Does everything on this board have to be an argument???

Look... if every retail store in the country sells it for 300.. and I get it 150.. I got a deal... just because someone can find it in some other remote location for less does not mean that I got shafted.. the guy who got shafted is the one who paid 300 dollars for it.. not me. If you're a reseller, then you have resources at your disposal that I don't, since I don't do this for a living. But that doesn't mean I "don't know any better"... it simply means that I don't do this nearly as much as you do. In addition.. for every marked-up completed auction example you can give, I can show you one that ended lower. Sure,.. there are plenty of idiots selling on eBay who charge way too much... but there are also plenty of other opportunities to get a great deal. (thus making it a buyer's market) Most of the time I watch those high-priced auctions end without any bids.

And I already stated that it's a buyers market for certain items, and a seller's market for others... when I say this, I'm talking about average retail price... I know when to buy on eBay and when to go to other sources. It's definitely not the "end-all" to end all.. but it provides a very low marketplace in certain arenas.

P.S. If you can get that phone for $99, then I would appreciate a hyperlink.

WATYF

Hmmm Anybody interested in a "I got screwed on Ebay" T-shirt?

Your price today only. $30.00

LOL.. yeah dude.. send me 5!! :p

and can you print "Cause I didn't know any better." on the back of em??? that would be swell..

WATYF

WATYF said:
Does everything on this board have to be an argument???
Hey man, I can understand you being a little defensive, but I'm not arguing with you. You made a claim (of eBay being a buyer's market) and you were sporting some "evidence" for that claim. I'm just proving you wrong using your own product example
P.S. If you can get that phone for $99, then I would appreciate a hyperlink.
As soon as my auctions end, I'll give you a link to the web page that holds the information on how anybody in the US can easily get this phone for $99

PS - My previous posts never said you got "shafted" or "screwed", I used the word "smoked" meaning that "in the metaphorical race to achieve the lowest retail price, you were left in the metaphorical dust". Getting it for $140 off MSRP isn't getting screwed, but it is certainly NOT a good example of eBay being a buyer's market.

Last edited:
man... everybody around here's always gotta think they're right... "I'm proving you wrong".. :rolleyes: Please massah.. show me the way... :rolleyes:

you should visit the Dragon Cave... you'd fit in real well there... :p

But for the anal retentive out there... I'll reword my original post.

For the most part, purchases on eBay can be had at a significant reduction off of regular-retail/average-consumer price. This only applies to certain categories, and cetain auctions, since there is always someone out there who's selling items for too much. In addition.. if one was willing,.. one could scour the entire planet for direct marketing distributors and send in coupons for free items and get something for less... but if one needs an item fast and doesn't have the time to jump through numerous wholesale hoops, one can usually find a good deal on eBay...

that better for ya?

:rolleyes:

you might wanna stop sounding like the rest of the planet has caught on to something that I have grossly have missed out on. It's rather ignorantly condescending.. and no, I don't have to be defensive to say that.. it's easily observable by anyone. Common courtesy is a virtue.. even to those who are "smarter" than the rest of us po' folks... :rolleyes:

WATYF

geez... my eyes are getting tired from all this rolling... :p

WATYF said:
For the most part, purchases on eBay can be had at a significant reduction off of regular-retail/average-consumer price. This only applies to certain categories, and cetain auctions, since there is always someone out there who's selling items for too much. In addition.. if one was willing,.. one could scour the entire planet for direct marketing distributors and send in coupons for free items and get something for less... but if one needs an item fast and doesn't have the time to jump through numerous wholesale hoops, one can usually find a good deal on eBay...

Like the great deal on the phone you were so proud of just the other day? :rolleyes:

Buying the Sprint phone required no wholesale, no coupons, no mail in rebates, no scouring the planet, no direct marketing distributors. Just going down the street to a store, buying an item and selling it on eBay to people like you. And I can guarantee that I got my phone faster than you did. It took me approximately 7 minutes from the decision to purchase the phone for me to be leaving the store with it in my hands.

Dude, you're delusional if you think that eBay is better for buyers than sellers. I've given you hundreds of example auctions where you are incorrect and you can't come up with even ONE to back up your claim.

But yet you still insist that eBay is a buyer's market without ONE SINGLE example of that being true. Anybody who is that delusional in the face of evidence certainly needs some sort of medical attention.

man... everybody around here's always gotta think they're right...

Pot->kettle->black. Somehow you dont fall into that category? The difference is that I am right and you're hanging onto a claim that you can't backup in any way.

Whatever. I guess it's a waste of my time trying to educate the uninformed. I should have done just like the other enlightened people in this post. They gave their examples of eBay being a seller's market which you discounted as "pretty unique scenarios" rotf Uh yeah... REALLY unique. Uh-huh...

The sentence you should have reworded was your incorrect assertion that you can't get the Sprint 6200 "anywhere for less than $299, since it's a brand new model..." You can get that phone at 7200 locations nationwide for $99

Remain in the dark about how eBay really works. People like you just put more and more money in my pocket. I'm sorry that I tried to educate you. No really, you're right, all those people selling those phones on eBay are being "taken" by educated shoppers like you.

My my my... now I'm a'gonna have to lay the smack-down on ya... :p

Look chuckles... I don't know how you managed to miss this little point... but no one said that eBay was the guaranteed lowest price.

No one said that it wasn't good for sellers...

No one said that you can't make money there...

No one said there wasn't a better way to do it,...

No one said that you can't find items elsewhere for less...

No one said it's the best deal there is...

and no....one... said... the.... sellers... are... losing... moneeeeeey.

Who sells and loses money??? eh??? and who in theeee heeeeelllll ever suggested that was happening on eBay????

Are.... you... hearing...... me.....??? Do... you... speaka..... da... english.....?????

I said...

eBay

is

a

buyer's

market.

Unfortunately you appear to be one of the more belligerent people on this board, and you have taken my statements so out of proportion that I have to prove my point ad nauseum...
buy·er's market; also buy·ers' market (brz)
n.

A market condition characterized by low prices and a supply of commodities exceeding demand.
Click on a category on eBay and see how many auctions end without bids (or without meeting the reserve)... the supply on eBay greatly exceeds the demand (in a greater portion of categories). And compare the majority of prices on eBay to average retail price and you will find them to be "low prices" by comparison.
buyer's market
noun
: a market in which goods are plentiful, buyers have a wide range of choice, and prices tend to be low
Once again.. these traits are all true of eBay...

Now... it's unfortunate that you took the term "buyer's market" to mean that sellers actually lose money, (*whuh???*) or that you can't find a better deal anywhere else... I guess I shoulda defined the term up front fer ya... and I'm really sorry to bring your poignant argument (and boy.. is this ever a topic worth fighting for. :rolleyes: ) to an end... but it's a buyer's market. It's cheaper than retail, and goods are plentiful. End of discussion.

WATYF

man... you people... really.. it was a simple statement... and this is what it turns into...?? a penis measuring contest of who knows how to find the lowest price... :rolleyes: You're not a young lad, are you? ;) I would wager so... :p

P.S. I'd really love the address of all these places you're talking aboot,... cause I am just dying to buy aboot a hundred of those phones at 99 bucks... :p

Last edited:
Newguy:

I can't claim any special expertise or knowledge about e-bay... I don't do hundreds of transactions per month (or week). I've just used it on occasion when I needed something special - and i don't mean Sprint phones.

This is my experience: when i need a specialized piece of gear, or am looking for a vintage piece that is out of production, I always check out the going street price for that item as best i can. Armed with that knowledge, I then decide whther to invovle myself in a particular e-bay auction.

If the price gets too high, I back out. Chances are the item will show up again some other day and I may have better luck.

Using this method I have been fortunate enough to purchase some highly prized items at bargain prices. For some types of rare gear, there are not a whole lot of alternative places anyway, and those that exist are usually even more expensive. Does this make it a seller's market or a buyer's market? Who the fuck cares! If I am happy with the price I paid and the seller is happy with the price they received then both sides win. What's the problem with that? Even dealing with some of the auction pros for new gear can work out in my favor. Back when the TLM 103 first came out, and the best store price anywhere was about $900, I got a brand new one (grey market?) from Dave Butler on E-bay for $650. He wasn't happy about it - all the other ones he was selling got bid up to about $800. I just got lucky. (Yeah, I know - that price is no big deal now - but it was then.)

If that makes me an ignorant fish just waiting to be fleeced by the pro auction sharks, I can't see it. I guess that just proves what a total dumb-ass i must be. Meanwhile I guess I'll just sit here in my studio full of gear that I could otherwise never have afforded and cry all the way to the mastering house.

littledog said:
If that makes me an ignorant fish just waiting to be fleeced by the pro auction sharks, I can't see it. I guess that just proves what a total dumb-ass i must be. Meanwhile I guess I'll just sit here in my studio full of gear that I could otherwise never have afforded and cry all the way to the mastering house.
LOL... Hey man... I think you are a mindless sheep... and to celebrate that fact... you should buy one of my "I got screwed on eBay" T-shirts... only 40 bucks... take my word for it.. it's a steal.. you can't get em cheaper anywhere else.... :cool:

WATYF

WATYF said:
My my my... now I'm a'gonna have to lay the smack-down on ya... :p
Oh really? Next time I'm in Mehlville I'll stop by your apt and you can lay down that smackdown in person. :rolleyes:
Who sells and loses money??? eh??? and who in theeee heeeeelllll ever suggested that was happening on eBay????

Are.... you... hearing...... me.....??? Do... you... speaka..... da... english.....?????

Have you read your own posts? And you're asking me if I speak english? You can't even answer any simple question I ask. Instead you have to resort to BIG TYPE and stupid questions like "Do... you... speaka..... da... english.....?"

You should try actually using the quote function and responding to the specific things that I ask.

In an extreme "buyer's market" (like where "the supply on eBay greatly exceeds the demand" like you claim) there is much more supply than demand and in fact, seller's can lose money.
Unfortunately you appear to be one of the more belligerent people on this board, and you have taken my statements so out of proportion that I have to prove my point ad nauseum...

You have proven no point. The only thing that you've proven is that your ego and pride are so huge that the fact I found your phone for $99 (you know, the one you "Cant' get it anywhere for less than $299") bothers you so much that you can't even admit that you're wrong.

And you call me belligerent? You can't bare to admit that you were wrong even when you spout the following erroneous statements:
the fancy new sprint one that costs $300 reatil. Cant' get it anywhere for less than $299

Wrong, it's available for $99 all over the US
eBay has always been known as a buyer's market. Especially when it comes to computers

Wrong. Electronics and computers go for far more than their worth and Sellers easily make a big profit.
In addition.. for every marked-up completed auction example you can give, I can show you one that ended lower

Wrong, apparantly you can't even show me one, let alone one for every marked-up auction. Please elighten us all with your knowledge of these auctions that "ended lower". If you search for the Sony jambox, the backpack and the Sprint phone and you'll see that I've given you over 500 examples of auctions occuring now or in the last 2 weeks that are "marked-up" auctions. You have yet to show me ONE that "ended lower" Go ahead, show me just one fifth of what I've shown you. Show me 100 auctions that "ended lower". Can't do it? Gee, I wonder why....
I wouldn't bother buying there if it wasn't so much cheaper

:D That's obviously not true. You just spent $160 on a $99 phone.
I know when to buy on eBay and when to go to other sources.

:D And that's obviously not true as well. You went to eBay when the item was 2/3rds of the price right down the street from you.
you might wanna stop sounding like the rest of the planet has caught on to something that I have grossly have missed out on

I never said that the rest of the planet knows these things, obviously they don't. You and they are clamoring all over each other to spend their money on eBay for overpriced items. And then you come here to brag about the great "deal" you got. Obviously I have caught onto something that you've "grossly have missed out on."
Wow... these are some pretty unique scenarios

No they're not unique at all. And the fact that you believe them to be unique just proves that you "have grossly have missed out on" what the seller's on eBay know very well.
I said...

eBay is a buyer's market.

Click on a category on eBay and see how many auctions end without bids (or without meeting the reserve)... the supply on eBay greatly exceeds the demand (in a greater portion of categories).

You're a complete lunatic. How do you use that criteria to determine supply and demand? If the "supply on eBay greatly exceeds the demand" as you claim, then there would never be multiple bidders on any auction. Each auction would only recieve the minimum bid (if that at all) and more auctions would go uncompleted than completed. If there's so much supply and so little demand, then the sellers would be losing money or selling at cost ($99)

Buyers fall all over themselves competing for items every minute of the day. The demand is huge.

A buyer's market is "A market which has more sellers than buyers. Low prices result from this excess of supply over demand. also called soft market. opposite of seller's market."
There are NOT more sellers than buyers on eBay.
The prices are NOT low.

Did you bother looking up "seller's market" while you were at it?
seller's market - A market which has more buyers than sellers. A market condition characterized by high prices"
There ARE more buyers than sellers
The prices on eBay ARE high

but it's a buyer's market. It's cheaper than retail, and goods are plentiful.

You're completely oblivious. IT'S NOT CHEAPER THAN RETAIL. You are so blinded by your ego that you can't even focus on that fact.
The phone you bought for $160 is NOT CHEAPER THAN RETAIL ON eBAY.
The Sony radio I mentioned is NOT CHEAPER THAN RETAIL ON eBAY.
The genuine leather backpacks are NOT CHEAPER THAN RETAIL ON eBAY.
You said that you could do it, so now I'm calling your bluff. You said "for every marked-up completed auction example you can give, I can show you one that ended lower" and I'd like to see you do something even remotely close to that.

I'm really sorry to bring your poignant argument (and boy.. is this ever a topic worth fighting for. :rolleyes: ) to an end...

You don't even understand or address my "poignant argument". You're still insisting that eBay is cheaper than retail, which I have proven to you is incorrect. You're too busy being defensive because you paid $60 too much for your phone and I schooled you in front of everybody here when you came bragging about the great deal you got.

man... you people... really.. it was a simple statement... and this is what it turns into...?? a penis measuring contest of who knows how to find the lowest price... :rolleyes: You're not a young lad, are you? ;) I would wager so... :p

Your inability to clearly observe your own behavior is once again astounding. You complained earlier about how "everybody around here's always gotta think they're right" yet that's exactly the behavior that you yourself are participating in, and now you complain about this being a "penis measuring contest" and somehow to you that implies that I must be a "young lad", but yet you persist in barrelling through this conversation without ever admitting that you're wrong, even when faced with the facts.

Once again, put your claims to the test, prove your point, do exactly what you claimed you could do. "for every marked-up completed auction example you can give, I can show you one that ended lower"

Why haven't you done this yet? Because you can't show me because you are wrong. It would be impossible for you to show me what you claim because you are so amazingly mistaken.

P.S. I'd really love the address of all these places you're talking aboot,... cause I am just dying to buy aboot a hundred of those phones at 99 bucks... :p
You'd be a fool not to. Why wouldn't you trade $100 bill for $150?

Why is this so hard to understand...? no one's upset... (well you may be, but that's not mine to determine) I'm having fun with you more than anything... (you may be new to the net.. but those little faces are called "smileys" or "emoticons".. they denote that someone is being, what we call, "facetious" :cool: ) Notice I haven't resorted to name calling and pedantic tirades... (now who was it around here that's been doing that....??? hhmmmm...??? :p ) You just need to lighten up dude, and get the real picture straight. It's very simple... eBay is a buyer's market most of the time, by the very definition of the word. It's significantly cheaper than retail in most arenas and the supply is plentiful. That's all there is to it dude. Most people are able to get stuff there cheaper.

Now... I know you're just gonna keep ranting and raving aboot how I'm "wrong" and how you just gotta prove it over and over... (and blah blah blah :rolleyes: )... and you're gonna continue to try and establish your "superior" knowledge by saying silly things aboot how little you pay for the stuff you buy... and by pointing out which city I live in... (well gawrsh.. you must be darn proud fer figgerin' that oat :rolleyes: ) but you're really starting to look foolish. I don't doubt that you can find that phone for less.. but dude... who cares? really..... big whoop... just let it go.

Myself, and millions of other people, are able to buy on eBay every day for prices usually much less than retail. That is all I'm saying.. Retail is all I'm talking aboot. Average consumer price. When I say that you can't get it anywhere less than $299, I'm talking aboot retail price. Obviously there are other sources and no one would be foolish enough to believe that there is no lower price anywhere... But you're not thinking in simple rational conversation... you're thinking with anal-retentive scrutiny for the purpose of brandishing your superfluous knowledge. This is a fricking BBS dude.. not a Harvard debate... I should be able to make generalizations without having to worry about some psycho looking up my eBay account so he can try to disprove every statement I make. For example.. "no seller loses money". This is not an all inclusive statement. I work in Marketing Information... my company reports negative profit margins all the time. I know first hand that sellers can lose money in certain markets... that wasn't my point... my point was that I never said the sellers on eBay lose money or that they are getting screwed. You're still not seeing the one and only point I'm trying to make. And if you still can't see it after all this explanation (even with the big type :p ), and if your only goal here is to try and find some nuance of what I've said that you can prove "wrong" over and over, then you obviously have some insecurity issues to deal with.

So.... since I'm such a nice guy... I'd like to help you. Here... try this....

Repeat after me...

I..... am a good person.

I....... have lots of friends...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with me...

because...

I'm good enough...

I'm smart enough...

and doggonit...

People like me.

There.... you fell better??? Goooood. I Thought so.

WATYF

P.S. You're still making it sound like I'm in denial aboot the phone.. get over it dude. I have,.. and I'm the one who bought the dumb thing. The phone has absolutely nothing to do with the point of this entire conversation. I have no problem admitting what I don't know... and I don't know where to get it for 99 bucks, otherwise I would have paid 99 instead of 150... (well duh) But your (apparent) problem is that you are seemingly incapable of sharing information like that without being an ass aboot it. Like I said in my very first reply. Common courtesy, dude... learn it.. love it.. live it.

Last edited:
Oh yeah.. you wanted a "quote"... whoops... here ya go.
newguy said:
You don't even understand or address my "poignant argument". You're still insisting that eBay is cheaper than retail, which I have proven to you is incorrect. You're too busy being defensive because you paid $60 too much for your phone and I schooled you in front of everybody here when you came bragging about the great deal you got.
You're a purdy darn arrogant person... For some reason, you're seeing everything I say through your own belligerent point of view and applying that to your interpretation. You see... around here... we have what's called a "community". I talk to most of the people in this thread on a pretty regular basis, in one forum or another. Me coming in and saying, "hey.. I found this phone for 150" is not bragging... It's talking to a bunch of people I know about a deal I got. It happens all the time. But when unfriendly people like you come around and try to "school" someone everytime they don't get the absolute best price, it does nothing but make you look childish,... and discourage communication in the community. No one is gonna want to put up a post saying, "Hey guys... I got this new XYZ mic from SoandSo.com for only 99 bucks!! It's great deal"... if they have to worry aboat you coming along and saying, "99 bucks?? I can get em for $50... you're a moron and you don't know any better... man.. I sure just schooled you.." :rolleyes: Sorry... it's rude.. and it's immature. Unfortunately, the problem is that you're too busy trying to flaunt the fact that you think know more than me to realize what the entire point of this conversation is...

So here's a hint....

It's not aboot the phone!!!!

How's that for big letters...? :D

But since you keep going back to the phone as if it's the one and only issue, let me explain to you exacly what I meant when I said, "it goes for $299 everywhere" and what I mean by "retail".

Price at my local Best Buy: $299

Price at my local Circuit City: $299

Sprint.com: Retail price... $299

Amazon.com: Retail price... $299

oh look.. here it is again for $299

and again.... $299

Every review of the phone says it has a "suggested retail price of $299.99"

In fact... in a quick search, there is not one place that had this phone available for less than $299. Therefore.. I have established beyond question that the average retail price for this phone is $299. And I can get them all day on eBay for 100-150. So...

Is eBay lower than retail....???

Yes.

Your above "quote" has been proven incorrect.

Now.. you still seem to miss the fact that I am talking aboot retail price. Not your price.. or how much you know how to get it for. I'm sure most people pay more than you get your stuff for, since you're obviously involved with sales in some capacity. But as I stated from the beginning,.. by very definition, I have paid less than retail price. And eBay provided me with a market to buy at prices significantly less than retail price. This is an undeniable fact.

Did I get the best price...? No.

Did I say I got the best price...??? No.

So I guess there really isn't an issue here, now is there?

WATYF

Last edited:
c7sus said:
All I know about ebay is I got a really nice Elkskin flogger for $79. All handmade, weighted/balanced handle. 1/2 inch-wide falls 22 inches long. The whole deal is about 3 feet long. It really packs a bite!

Sounds VERY kinky! Does Riley know about this?:eek:

Back