Am I worthy? Advice for hardware noob.

braltmann

Alright brothers!

After weeks of research on what sort of gear I will need for my setup, I think I'm finally ready to purchase.

I was at initially totally set on getting a ShurePG27 usb condenser. It looked dandy, had that "no fuss and no intimidation" factor of being a usb mic, and of course had the Shure-quality assurance.

Further research reveals to me that this would be a completely bullshit decision and a crap investment. I've decided instead to get an audio interface and an XLR mic. This would make sense as obviously XLR mics are far higher in quality, and the interface would give a lot more possibilities: monitoring and low-latency being the big oned.

Mic-wise, the Shure SM58 has grabbed me. Ultimately there are just ENDLESS options for mics and everyone has a different one to recommend, I'm just going to get this mic and take it from there and upgrade when I feel the need to.

As for the interface, I'm fairly set on the Line 6 UX1. It looks suitable, has good reviews, and won't break the bank. It doesnt have phabtom power (unlike the UX2 at $100 extra) but I figure by the time I can afford a decent condenser I'll just get an external phantom power supply (I know Behringer does one for $50).

So. That's that. My query is, is this going to suffice? Please note that I am not looking for a " pro sound" as I know that's inconceivable on my budget. I just want to make sure that I haven't forgotten something vital that's really going to jeopardise my sound. Also please d on't tell me I'm never going to get a good sound with this gear and proceed to list endless $500+ condenser microphones. I'm on a strict student budget and don't have the ability to "save up for something better." Maybe some other time!

For the record (if it matters) I'm a female vocalist and multi-instrumentalist and I use Ableton Live 8 to record and mix tracks for fun mostly. I've been playing around making tracks for a few years now but want to take it up a notch. Any advice would be appreciated. I enjoy talking about this stuff so go for it.

Ah yes, I have those factored in too. Thanks!

Also I should probably add im running windows 7 64 bit, hoping to encounter as few problems aspossible. The line 6 interfaces seem fairly modern but has anyone encountered any issues with drivers and stuff? xx

Also! If anyone could recommend a cheaper interface that could deliver similar results, please do so! There's so many and they all seem to have their pros and cons. x

Never heard anyone knock the SM58 for a good budget mic.

No idea about currently available interfaces. I'm stuck in the 1970s technology-wise.

Are you dead set on the POD for it's ability to do amp sims? What do you think your future goals may be? There is currently an interface from Tascam (US800), that has been discontinued, and available still (maybe) from Amazon for $100. I have tested the unit myself HERE, and found only minor issues regarding powering up timing. It offers much more than the POD, adaptability wise as an interface (multiple tracks phantom power, clean preamps, etc...), if the 'Farm' is not what you really need.

My general advice to noobs... save more.

Nothing wrong with an SM58, everyone should have one. But as your only mic? I'd start from somewhere else.

As for an interface, get one from people who make interfaces, not effects. Listen to Jimmy...

Are you dead set on the POD for it's ability to do amp sims? What do you think your future goals may be? There is currently an interface from Tascam (US800), that has been discontinued, and available still (maybe) from Amazon for $100.

They've jumped to $160 on the ole' Amazon now, but that's still not a bad deal, imo.

They've jumped to $160 on the ole' Amazon now, but that's still not a bad deal, imo.

I would guess the supply is running out, so their prices are going up. Same happened with the US1641 last year.

My sperm count is going down, current price is two Gordito's from Taco Bell Now. Next week, one must add a Nachos Bell Grande! lol!

Unfortunately being in Australia our prices are MUCH higher on most gear. For example an SM58 goes for around $150 AUSD here, which is about $140 US. The Tascam us800 will set me back around $350 on ebay. The Line 6 UX1 however is only $180 here.

As much as I'd like 8 seperate channels, I don't really need them. My focus is on building songs track by track, that's how I've always done it. I don't need to record any live drums or anything. Just need an XLR input and headphone input to lower latency while monitoring. The UX1 offers all these different amp effects that I ultimately don't need either. Any other suggestions for interfaces? I look at these M-Audio boxes and they just look like toys. Any thoughts?

As for the condenser mic, no. I'm set on the Shure SM58. I'll be working in a less-than-perfect sound environment and need something that won't pick up so much noise. Unless you can show me a condenser at the same price and quality as the 58, that's the one I'll get. x

You need to friend one of us US guys then. :) I could purchase the US 800 @ $159 going price now, and ship it to you for $60. $220 would seem fair. Actually, I need to look into that, because a friend of mine in Melbourne just bought a US1800 for less than $400 somehow. Not sure how he pulled that off, but I will find out. Don't buy just yet. There has got to be a way we can help you with shipping from the states. I would however state that I have a friend that regrets purchasing the UX2. That is obviously personal opinion, but he is an amazing guitar player and hates the unit. Don't rush into your purchase just yet.....

HERE.

I asked my Aussie buddy how he purchased his interface. This is his reply:

This is where I bought it from: Tascam US-1800 Pro Tools 9 compatible USB 2.0 Recording Interface 16 IN 4 OUT | eBay
Yes it is cheaper to buy in US and ship to Australia, I saved $200 in total! I paid $265US.
Things are expensive here currently with the $AUD since its skyrocked in valube against the $US, so it is cheaper to buy overseas than locally, unfortunately, which is why exports have descreased and the country is in turmoil and why it would cost a fortune to buy this here and ship it to the US.. Sad but true. It cost me in total including shipping $350US.

Jimmy - thankyou for your responses! I'm probably not in the business of doing international trading - although setting up a new piece of hardware might seem simple to you and a lot of people on here, to a noob like me it's a gigantic and terrifying prospect and I'd like to have the option of local support. It might sound dumb but I'd be willing to pay an extra couple bucks to ensure that. Although the import situation is sad, there are plenty of sellers here in Melbourne offering reasonable prices, it's just a matter of research.

I read your US800 test thread, and again, though you might have no difficulty working that stuff out, I fear I would hit some walls running it on my W7 64bit.

Upon further research I'm thinking about the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Simple 2 in 2 out, high quality preamps, phantom power, no bullshit, looks modern yet sturdy and suits my requirements. If I really feel the need for more inputs (I doubt I will - I'm a self-indulgent solo artist and intend to stay that way) I can always upgrade, or buy a mixer. Mostly I just want to get STARTED. So, has anyone run into any problems using the Scarlett on Win7 64bit?

Can someone just say "BUY THAT ONE" so that I can stop freaking researching and start recording? Also, what's the diff between an SM57 and SM58? Just kidding ;)

Back