AKG 414, AT 4050 or?

SureShotStudio said:
I use both quite a bit and personally find that the at4050 is better at male vocals. But both mics are capable of getting great results. They're both just not mics that'll give you goosebumps right away ... but i love both.
i find that the 4040 does very well on my nasaly clients that and my adk hamburg

I would encourage you to try out the SM7 and maybe even a Senn 421. I think both do a good job mellowing the high end that ~I~ associate with a nasal voice. I own both and find that they are mellower in the nasal area.

While I do not own, and have never used a AT4050, I feel pretty confident that a 414 would not solve your problem.

I love my 414, but I picture that mic perfectly capturing the nasal sound.

I do not know the guy that you guys all hate, but working on singing technique should not be over looked. Please don't flame me... I have had to work on my vocal technique a bunch this year.

If you can push the budget or keep your eyes here and gearslutz classifieds the 4060 is a great tool for high and thin voices

Of the 2, I'd probably go with the 4050 _and_ a good eq.

When presented with a nasal voice, I use proximity to gain additional low-end.
Find the right spot to get you closer to your sonic goal and use eq to take you the rest of the way.

RRuskin said:
Of the 2, I'd probably go with the 4050 _and_ a good eq.

When presented with a nasal voice, I use proximity to gain additional low-end.
Find the right spot to get you closer to your sonic goal and use eq to take you the rest of the way.

Hi Rick,

A few years ago I came out to your house and took a guitar lesson. It was great to meet you and hear/watch you play up close and personal. Glad to see you helping us out on this bb.

If anyone doesn't know who Rick Ruskin is google him and find out. He runs in a pretty elite crowd!

-Terry

Back