AKG 414, AT 4050 or?

guhlenn

Oh REALLY????
WHat do you all think. GEnerally all-purpose multi pattern condesnor, but should specifically be able to make male somewhat nasal sound really shine.

And which pre-amp? DAV is obvious suspect... ULN-2 also very temptin...

used for rock music. thank you:)

I use both quite a bit and personally find that the at4050 is better at male vocals. But both mics are capable of getting great results. They're both just not mics that'll give you goosebumps right away ... but i love both.

guhlenn said:
... but should specifically be able to make male somewhat nasal sound really shine.

Neither one is going to help out much in that department. They're both pretty honest mics, and what goes in is pretty much what is going to come out. If you want something that works well with a nasal voice, then look at something with more of a midrange scoop to it. Blue Dragonfly comes to mind in that general price range.

guhlenn said:
WHat do you all think. GEnerally all-purpose multi pattern condesnor, but should specifically be able to make male somewhat nasal sound really shine.

And which pre-amp? DAV is obvious suspect... ULN-2 also very temptin...

used for rock music. thank you:)

Your choices might be off a wee bit. Of the 2 you listed I would (and have) gone with the 4050.

But, you really have to have a nice bottom end and midrange for a nasaly voice. I would recommend (believe it or not)...........................

Try a Shure SM 57 of SM7.

I know you are probably really taken aback but just go to your local shop and try them.

This is one of those stupid moments when you really gotta try the basic dynamic alternative to the condensor snotty market.

Hi Chessrock. Nice to hear from ya. He usually has excellent advice based on years of actually using this stuff. I have to say that it WAS Mr. Chessrock whom actually made me aware of the GT44 and I say thanks a ton.

I DO actually read his posts and advise others to do the same.

(butt kissing off..............)

Thanks, MCI.

But I am curious as to your logic on this one. Why do you actually recommend a midrangy mic to go with a nasal voice? Is there some sort of revolutionary backwards logic to this that you'd care to elaborate on?

Just curious. Thanks.

chessrock said:
Thanks, MCI.

But I am curious as to your logic on this one. Why do you actually recommend a midrangy mic to go with a nasal voice? Is there some sort of revolutionary backwards logic to this that you'd care to elaborate on?

Just curious. Thanks.

Sure. A nasaley voice (ala Phil Collins) has very little mids and less lows. I hava a nasely voice (ala Phil Collins) and find a SM7 works great.

If defined voice is ala Phil Collins.................sure, a SM 57/7 will work fine

If defined voice is ?????????????

It aint nasely, it is something else.

I can only go by the description. I can't read minds yet although I am trying to perfect it.

Hope this helps anyone at all.

MCI2424 said:
Sure. A nasaley voice (ala Phil Collins) has very little mids and less lows ...

Interesting. Are you certain you know what midrange is? Not trying to be a jerk or anything.

Nasal and thin voices are almost all midrange. They have peaks right in the frequency ranges where the human ear is most sensitive. That's why they tend to be grating to listen to.

Maybe you have a different idea of what "nasal" means, or what "midrange" frequencies sound like. But just so you know ... generally speaking, nasal voices by their very definition tend to have peaks in the mid-range (so they don't need any help in the ranges that a Shure mic, for example, will tend to accentuate).

Now I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this isn't just an opinion. This is just "the way it is," so you might want to re-adjust your thinking on this one. Just a suggestion.

Can Giant dickhead please just go away?

Thank you.

I actually tried an sm57 and well, something better is definately desired. The voice is somewhat nasally not like unbearable or anything... ;-) The choices are just based on what's good within the given budget. The singer will pay for this one and set his heart on the 414, just trying to offer some alternatives. I actually considered the philly thing so a beyer crossed my mind (M88) but then that doesn;t have the money bling thing. :p

Woudl a ribbon perhaps smooth things out a bit, recently heard some vocals recorded using a m160 and really liked it. Also considered the CAD M9 tube (ot toob?) mic. Ofcourse will try, but as these things are somewhat hard to come by in my area i need to cut down on the choices.

guhlenn said:
Can Giant dickhead please just go away?
Why...because you're not hearing what you want to hear???
Okay...You're a confident, beautiful, independent woman. Feel better?
Didn't think so.

If the singer(you???) sucks, the mic won't fix the problem. You may end up with warm & nasal, bright & nasal, smooth & nasal, dark & nasal, thin & nasal, or full & nasal, but...

the singer will still sound like ass.

Last edited:
Nope singer aint me. Too bad huh? You would have really loved that wouldn;t ya. You should 've kept your mouth shut cuz you're comments are far from constructive and are merely made for your own amusement. Which ofcourse you knew already. People like you you are really just a little pathetic, flying aroudn the internet stating the obvious and feeling real smart for doing so. Congratulations!

I am aware that there is no mic that will make him sound like celine dion. nor am i looking for one. I was just asking advice on a mic that would flatter him a little, which is perfectly reasonable. But your giant big head was up your even bigger asshole so you missed that one I guess. Now please, do as I asked. :rolleyes:

guhlenn said:
Nope singer aint me. Too bad huh? You would have really loved that wouldn;t ya. You should 've kept your mouth shut cuz you're comments are far from constructive and are merely made for your own amusement. Which ofcourse you knew already. People like you you are really just a little pathetic, flying aroudn the internet stating the obvious and feeling real smart for doing so. Congratulations!

I am aware that there is no mic that will make him sound like celine dion. nor am i looking for one. I was just asking advice on a mic that would flatter him a little, which is perfectly reasonable. But your giant big head was up your even bigger asshole so you missed that one I guess. Now please, do as I asked. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't take it so personal. Everyone knows this guy and just like to
laugh. I won't get worked up nor waste time responding.
Lets just all ChIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLL :cool:

TheBigGiantHead said:
How about you just find a singer who doesn't sing through his nose?
Have you ever noticed that if someone tries to deliberately sound nasal, they block off their nose? In fact, classical singers are often taught to sing higher into their head and project through their nasal cavity moreso than their mouth in order to get more resonance and richer tone.

I would suggest you get hold of a reasonably flat mic, and work a para EQ to find out exactly which frequencies are bugging you (use a narrow Q, and a fair amount of gain, the annoying frequencies will ring out as you sweep). Then you'll know more clearly what sonic signature you are after. As I think we've established, nasal means different things to different people.

thanks., Didn;t take it personal. Just tend to react to stupidity. I noticed the big red flag in the upper right corner :)

guhlenn said:
I am aware that there is no mic that will make him sound like celine dion.

Lord, I sure would hope not. Although that might be kinda' cool.

If your buddy can get one that makes him look like Eva Longoria ... then I'll do him.

Last edited:
I deal with a female singer who is nasally very frequently and the AT4050 is the go to mic for her. With a good pre and a little bit of proximity effect, it works quite well. Some guys say the 4050 has honk to it and I have never heard that myself. I used to use an SM7 on here as well and it did okay. That little bit of high mid dip on the SM7 is a good thing sometimes with that sort of voice. Its the 5k poison range that the SM7 seems to do better on. But the 4050 was much better over all as that little bit of low hump helps as does the fact that it takes EQ so well (ala Daniel Reichman's suggestion). I find with nasal voices, mics like U87s are awful. That high end shimmer just makes things worse.

Back