Advice needed on purchase studio monitors

bcnx

Hi all,

I'm currently setting up a home studio and I'm looking in to a solution to
monitor whatever I'm recording. The music I record covers a wide frequency
range and could be considered "extreme" (metal, industrial etc.).

I was wondering: for this situation, do I really need dedicated studio
monitors or could a decent HIFI-system do the trick too?

Supposing I go for studio monitors, I think I'd prefer the active ones for
convenience.

Do you have any tips on brands/models to look into? I was thinking about the
Roland DS-50A's: not too expensive, active and a digital in to which I could
connect my soundcard. Anyone some experience with it?

Thx a million!

Bart

I don't have any means of any amplification yet. That's why I was thinking about active monitors.

The budget is someshere in between 200$ en 500$.

Cheers,

Bart

The Alesis M1 Actives are $499 and are recommended for a small studio application. You could look into the Tannoys, Events and KrK's but you'll be spending more than your budget.

Good Luck

Granted,you may need to spend a little more for a pair of good active monitors, but if your budget does restrain you
from purchasing more,check out some JBL 6208 powered studio monitors.Each contain an 8" 2-way speaker and will accept
unbalanced and balanced signals @ +4 or -10 operating levels. Thet go for about $350-400.
See http://www.samash.com

Thank you all for replying, muvh obliged - this really helped.

One last thing though: someone suggested NS10s from Yamaha, which are passive speakers. What kind of amplification do you use for such speakers? I mean, PA-amps are way to heavy and ordinary stereo amps like in your home system don't seem appropriate to me either...

Thx!

Incredible! The Tria system you mention goes here (Belgium-Europe) at about 1000$!!!

I defenitely have to move out of this place!!!!!!

c7sus...
I'm glad to hear that you like your Event Tria's.
I saw the ad for them at $499.00, and that really is a great price.
I listened to them a few months ago and I really loved em'. They sound great!
I'm going to buy em' now that you've confirmed just how good they are. :)
Muchas Gracias, amigo!!

do you guys really think the tria system is a better way to go than the 20/20?? cuz i can ebay the 20/20 for a similar price.....

buck...are you akai'd yet?

the akai has a new OS available online that completes the pitch corrector effedt...unfortunately i don't have a storage scsi device yet, so i haven't installed it on the unit.....

also, i learned that if you use the pitch corrector, you disable the other three efx. has anyone ever used a pitch corrector? i must say with my sloppy singing, the idea intrigues me.....

drdrew...
Nah... I haven't got my Akai yet.
I'm waiting for my union to settle my contract so I can get my retro-check (back-pay). I thought it would have been settled by now, but my poop-head Mayor is a cheapskate when it comes to paying the troops.
As for the Tria's....
$449.00 is a GREAT price!
I really liked this system alot! The sound reproduction is phenomenal. The only thing that sounded as good as the Tria system was the KRK V8's, but they cost waaay more than the Tria's.
I've listened to about 20 different sets of monitors... all makes and models, Event Tria's can't be beat at $449.00. I'll be getting mine this week.
8thStreet.com, you say?
Cool... Tanx!

I have the Trias as well- picked them up after listening to a bunch of current hardware. I just have about 4 weeks of use on them, so I still have a bunch to learn about how they translate to other systems...

I do like the extended bottom end provided by the sub, and I also like the individual level tweeks on the mids and highs. I still haven't finished the acoustical treatment in the room yet, and getting that done will tighten up the bass properly. They are very clean, and not at all fatiguing to listen to for extended periods. You might run into some problems in the bass end if you use them in a very small room that isn't trapped properly, but I still think that they are one hell of a deal. Two thumbs up from me. They definitely feel better to my ears than my old Sentry 100s, which were the nearfields I used to use...

for just a small home studio, roland's would probably do the job effectively...u don't really need to spend alot on monitors, but it's definitely an investment u need to make - headphones just can't give u a completely flat response. basically, as long as u have a good pair of rm's with a clear, even sound, you're good - the eq's should all be all the way down anyway. i got mine for $150, thanx to a friend of mine, but u should be able to find what u need for $2-300 US

hey,
you could get a pair of Alesis monitor 2 at marsmusic for 399 and add a samson servo 170 from full compass for about $150 and that will be far better than M1s and only $50 more expensive.

I read that the roland digital monitors are an expensive piece of hype. THey don't reproduce well, and are not that flat.

So while you look into that, I will search for all I can on even Trias cause buck62 and the other guys are making me want a pair like yesterday. If they listened to 20 pair of monitors and feel the trias are the best, then I think I have found the complement to my ns10ms

CyanJaguar...
Well I had a rude awakening on the Tria's as far as trying to get them. It seems that they're being discontinued and supplies are running out.
I was going to order them from 8thStreet until I remembered how badly some friends of mine got jacked-around ordering electronics over the internet.
One got 3 bad TV's in a row before he gave up and went to Best Buy. Even DrDrew got a set that had a small problem, and he ordered them on the internet. The morons at UPS have a habit of trashing half of the products they ship.
So.... I set out to find them at the local music stores, with no luck. They only had beat-up display models and returns left at all the Guitar Centers and Sam Ash stores in the Chicago area.
That sucks. :(
So, I spent an entire day listening all over again and bought the Event 20/20bas (bi-amped).
I stayed with Event.
They seemed to give the truest reproduction without coloring the sound... that's what you want in a monitor.
The PS8's were close in sound... but there IS a noticable difference... despite thier similar appearance.
I just figured I'd let you know what you may encounter if you have your heart set on the Tria's.

Thanks, buck62 for forewarning me.

So how would you say the 20/20s sound compared to the trias Are they similar? How about the low end?

Thanks.

I also AB'd the PS-8's and the 20/20's and noticed a difference. I could not tell what the "truer" sounding speaker was, although they both did sound excellent (not awesome).

Buck 62: why did you get the 20/20's over the PS8s?

The PS-8's had a bit more midrange and seemed slightly "hollow" sounding compared to the 20/20's.
I re-tested this over and over again with my 2 all-time favorite cd's... both of which I've heard hundreds of times.
The 20/20's were more accurate than the PS-8's.
As for the comparison to the Tria's... yes, there is less bass. But not by that much. And if you listen to the 20/20's with a cd you're very familiar with, you can instantly warm up to their honest reproduction, and they won't fatigue your ears.

BTW, Hafler has just come out with a set of monitors called "M-5". They also have some new, lower-priced amps that are supposed to work real nice with those monitors.
Hafler has a great reputation with amps. They might be worth checking out.
Guitar Satan has a package deal going on right now with the combo. It's like $525 for both. You might want to see what's up with that.

Buck

Back