Acoustics

as maybe a slight tangent, although still on topic, i've always been a "mic up acoustic guitar to record" kinda guy. i did spend a couple of years when i first starting playing just DI'ing my acoustic and was always disappointed but i had limited funds at the time as was spending most of my money on food.

now, a friend of mine has been building up his PA hire company for a couple of years now and one of the biggest issues he had was that DI'd acoustic guitars live are so hit and miss and he felt he was always at the mercy of whatever acoustic guitars people bought to the stage. in an attempt to try and make life easier for himself and to get the best out of any acoustic guitar that he was presented with he went out and picked up one of the Fishman aura spectrum di pedals second hand. he ranted and raved at me for ages about how awesome it was and how i should go down to one of his local shows and check it out. i was hesitant and, being as cynical as i am, didn't believe all the hype that was floating around the net about these magic boxes. however, when he asked me to help him with a recording session the first thing he did was whip out this little box for acoustic guitar. i was in the process of reminding him we had plenty of decent mics and the room sounded really nice and he simply said "humour me man, if it sounds crap we've only lost 10 minutes". begrudgingly i agreed and he set to work setting up the DI. my initial response was to ask whether he had decided against the box as the first thing i heard was a clean, real, natural sounding guitar! when he said "nah man, that's the fishman" with a cheeky grin on his face i was shocked. we tracked all the acoustics (2 rhythms on different guitars and some widdly overdubs) for that session using the fishman aura and it really did leave me questioning everything i'd ever though about micing up acoustic guitars. it was so simple, no faff, it didn't matter how much the player moved, it was just ace! i instantly went to the next live show he was working on to hear it live and even the ropey Encore acoustic guitar this kid was hammering sounded pleasing.

now, by no means am i saying this is the holy grail or the answer to acoustic guitar micing, and i didn't rush out to buy one as for £280 i'd rather have a multi purpose mic or some more kit in general, but if the only option you have is to DI acoustic guitars for whatever reason (i.e noisy student house, car's/chavs screaming outside your bedroom window, a dog that barks at the most inopportune time) or you gig loads and don't like the sound of your acoustic through some normal DI box, then it's a worth while investment. the big boy model my mate bought covers the whole spectrum of acoustic guitar body shapes and sizes, but fishman do make some smaller, cheaper versions for specific acoustic body shapes.

If I can chip in with another question here,
what would happen if you took the signal coming from the one mic,the SM57 and split it panning one signal hard right and the other hard left and adding a slight delay to one side?
Could you get a workable result doing that or is it more likely you'd just get mush?

Then you get a slight doubling effect. No need to split the signal, just do it during processing to see.

By way of reference, here's the song I'm currently working on - 4+ tracks of acoustic - DI-ed, plus bass and some percussion. Only 'mixing' I have done at this point is a little panning so I could hear the different parts easily, and started automating the bass volume for a couple of places that were overly loud. I think by the time I EQ a little and add some reverb, these tracks will sound pretty decent. Not to say I will go with this method for all acoustic recording in the future, of course. Now that I have 2 GLS ES57s, I want to record my old Epi using both plus the Markley soundhole pickup.

DI-demo here

Last edited:
Back