AA 3.0 - try THIS out.

ace516

OK, so there's been a lot of arguing about 3.0 being worth it or not, and if it's any good, so on..
Well, I say to you my fellow engineers.. try it out for yourself.

Download the 30-day trial of AA 3.0
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?loc=en%5Fus&product=audition

and Tascam's Free Download of GIGA Continuous Velocity Piano (at bottom of the page)
http://tascam.com/details;8,7,51.html

I was having a BIT of a problem getting my midi controller to work (M-Audio Keystation 49e), but downloading the latest driver, and leaving 'monitoring' in 'audition mix' and setting the sequencer's inputs and outputs to <ALL> seemed to fix the problem.
so just try it out... I was a little frustrated at first, but I started liking it... being a fan of Audition had NOTHING to do with it, I swear.
:o

how good is it? my friend is supossed to be bringing over his AA3 disc to me later on 2nite so i can have it as well..... but i only record vocals and mixing, nothing midi-oriented or even for tracking instruments, so is it worth me switching to as opposed to keeping my AA2?

just askin....

Are you a pirate? If so we don't want to know about it.

I plane on buying the upgrade after the holidays.

Are you a pirate? If so we don't want to know about it.

I plane on buying the upgrade after the holidays.
you askin if i'm a pirate? hell no..... most of them dudes be sendin viruses and all types of wierd shit.... i lent a friend of mines some $$$$$ for it since he was still using Cool Edit before they switched to Adobe, so it's only right that i get it from a CD that my $$$$$ went towards purchasing and other financial favors i'm due for some "kick-back" in regards to...

Pirate, no
Partial Purchaser, yes
Will I Use It, Fuck Yeah!!

how good is it? my friend is supossed to be bringing over his AA3 disc to me later on 2nite so i can have it as well..... but i only record vocals and mixing, nothing midi-oriented or even for tracking instruments, so is it worth me switching to as opposed to keeping my AA2?

just askin....

Probably not. There are some other features besides MIDI that AA3 has that you might find useful though. But I think the major upgrade is MIDI/VSTi support. Of course, don't take my word for it, check the features list on the AA website. ;)

well, i don't wanna insult anyone and those are not my intentions..

but have there's a tube based compressor by izotope, which i thought is very appealing. it's sooo easy to use, might by something intended for the not so experienced..

i can now monitor live complete with effects.. let's say i want to demo a song but i wanna hear my electric guitar through amplitube with the effects i intend on using.. that's pretty convenient now. i was able to do it in pro tools but not in audition, and now i can. TAKE THAT pro tools :o

i guess the only downside is finding a VSTi plugin, but Tascam did quite impress me.

Probably not. There are some other features besides MIDI that AA3 has that you might find useful though. But I think the major upgrade is MIDI/VSTi support. Of course, don't take my word for it, check the features list on the AA website. ;)
oh nah, i seen some of the updated features, and alot of em really are a non-factor as far as my usage for the program, and yeah as you stated the Midi/VSTi may be the most major upgrade incorperated for the program as a whole....... i'll probably check it out from my peeps computer first and then decide if i wanna confiscate my damn CD from him or just ask for the money i lent back :cool: somethin gotta give......

and yeah ace516, i heard of the real-time incorperation of the effects........ for me that wasn't so much anything major but definitely a plus indeed!

i just record vocals from home, so i'd probably still be ok with Cool Edit v1, lmaooo!

well, if it's only trackin vocals and mixing that you do, i'd invest in getting the best out of that (getting good vocal effect processors/buy some vocal production plugins/mixing plugins) than updating to 3.0..

well, at least not yet, til you find the need to absolutely do it :D

well, if it's only trackin vocals and mixing that you do, i'd invest in getting the best out of that (getting good vocal effect processors/buy some vocal production plugins/mixing plugins) than updating to 3.0..

well, at least not yet, til you find the need to absolutely do it :D
yeah i didn't get a chance to use it, but i glanced at it, i'll pass on installing it to my PC at this stage, i'll get to learn the new features sooner than later though, pretty good program actually....... it looked pretty fast running on windows xp!

I have already upgraded to AA3,0. (My OS is still XP)
To early to say anything. It seams to load faster.
I tested it on my old Aa2,0 sessions.
But I spend my time mostly testing MIDI.
So far, everything works.
I made a new sessions with three midi tracks only.
A small 1 minute sesion.
On the first midi track I drawe a primitive drum track and called Battery.
I have acc guitar on the second (RealGuitar)
and trumpet on the third track (Edirol Orchestral)

For those who did all this in Cubase it will be piece of cake in AA3,0.
Very easy of use.

My hypersonic VSti is obviously not compatible with Aa3,0 (smrc)
Midi notes are not visible in multitrack view. I can see only blue track. Hm
I am going to miss it.
It seams like I can't write notes of different length withaout going to menu and change note length every time.
(probably I just need to find out how to do that easily)
I recommend two screens now more than ever because of multitrack, mixer and sequencer view.
I am going to record some audio tracks today and put effects on it so I could see how everything’s going to play together.

I used to arrange my midi tracks in Cubase and exported them.
I insert those wavs to AA and mix them together with my audio tracks recorded in AA 2,0 (M-Audio F410)
I am still going to do it so until I confirmed that I could do everything easily in AA3,0 which is my prime goal.
I could use Cubase for everything but I can't help. I love Audition.

I have already upgraded to AA3,0. (My OS is still XP)
To early to say anything. It seams to load faster.
I tested it on my old Aa2,0 sessions.
But I spend my time mostly testing MIDI.
So far, everything works.
I made a new sessions with three midi tracks only.
A small 1 minute sesion.
On the first midi track I drawe a primitive drum track and called Battery.
I have acc guitar on the second (RealGuitar)
and trumpet on the third track (Edirol Orchestral)

For those who did all this in Cubase it will be piece of cake in AA3,0.
Very easy of use.

My hypersonic VSti is obviously not compatible with Aa3,0 (smrc)
Midi notes are not visible in multitrack view. I can see only blue track. Hm
I am going to miss it.
It seams like I can't write notes of different length withaout going to menu and change note length every time.
(probably I just need to find out how to do that easily)
I recommend two screens now more than ever because of multitrack, mixer and sequencer view.
I am going to record some audio tracks today and put effects on it so I could see how everything’s going to play together.

I used to arrange my midi tracks in Cubase and exported them.
I insert those wavs to AA and mix them together with my audio tracks recorded in AA 2,0 (M-Audio F410)
I am still going to do it so until I confirmed that I could do everything easily in AA3,0 which is my prime goal.
I could use Cubase for everything but I can't help. I love Audition.
righteous!!!!

whenever i start aa 3, my computer restarts. this is fucking bullshit. i've reinstalled it, and it didnt help. i don't know whats going on.

AA 3.0 is soo much better than 2.0 already and i've only used it for one session so far. Little things.. it looks the same as 2.0 but alot of things almost feel like 1.5 the biggest thing that pissed me off about 2.0 is how the mix down to file function mysteriously disappeared... they brought it back in 3.0 at least.. I found 2.0 to be a little awkward to use but 3.0 seems smoother if that makes any sense.. maybe it's all in my head but i'll be upgrading for sure

Does anyone know how to do live input monitoring so I can hear myself play as I play? I can't seem to find it. The online help says to click the green "L" button but I don't see it. :confused:

Last edited:
Danny!
Have you inserted MIDI track to your session?
You have to insert an empty midi track first.

Are you talking about your analog input/guitar?
In that case you have to press REC-button. There are also options Smart input/Always input.
Try with Always input.

1 Choose the input on the track you are using for recording
2 You can even add some effexts on it and you’ll hear them in Real Time while you are playing.
3 Press the REC-button on recording track

Now you can press PLAY on the transport bar. You’ll be able to hear everything in your session and yourself playing guitar.
Guitar will not be recorded until you have pressed REC –button on the transport bar as well.

My card is M Audio F410 and I use ASIO driver.
This could be different for windows drivers and other type of cards.

One more thing:
Let’s say you have recorded your guitar. You will not be able to hear it until you turn track’s REC-button.
I usually use only two tracks for recording. One mono, and one stereo. After the recording I just move the file vertically to its place in the session.
This works for me and I am used to it.

Thanks Sitker, I had no MIDI event on the track so that's why. :) I ended up finding it before but I had to dig through the track settings to get it working without having a MIDI track on there.

So far I'm liking AA3. Some of the plugin's parameters can't be changed while playing back the mix which is kind of annoying, but I haven't tried it with 3rd party plugins just AA's built in reverb (which is very realistic actually). AA's built-in plugs are miles ahead of others in my opinion.

Ok...downloaded it today. I have 29.5 days to either fall in love with it or ditch it.

Actually, I'm thinking I'm gonna' buy it regardless, because my 2.0 is just acting weird. It's never been the same since I switched to a Vista machine, and I have no idea why. It won't save settings, I have to refresh the effects everytime I start the program...and some other weird stuff.

3.0 seems to like my machine a lot better, and I'm glad to see they brought back a couple of things that I never understood why they ditched in the first place.

Vista is a completely different OS and is a terrible OS to use for recording. A lot of settings won't save because a lot of software uses the registry to save info to. A lot of the programs I've written that used the registry did not work on Vista and that is why (although that also makes Vista a lot more secure and less prone to spyware/adware).

AA3 was probably developed with Vista in mind. I loved 1.5. Hated 2.0. And 3.0 is somewhere inbetween for me. I'd be more happy with it exactly like 1.5 but with MIDI/VSTi support. Although I love the look of the interface/GUI, a lot more than Reaper's. But I think I'll stick with Reaper.

Back