A start to my first mix!

PhilLondon

I started a thread here - https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...g-basics-some-help-someone-new-mixing-379207/ where I asked about getting started with mixing and it was suggested that I should start with compression.

https://soundcloud.com/farce_bandit/new-take-me-home

I'm just getting used to recording, and this is the first thing I've recorded with the intention of learning about mixing and stuff, so any opinions would be great.

I don't know much about EQing and compression etc, so my focus on this was just to get to grips with compression. A couple of the guitar tracks had some quiet parts in it, as did the bass, so I added compression in order to level out the dynamics a bit more, I also added it to the drums as the snare was causing spikes so I just controlled that a bit more. I added a limiter (trial and error) to the output bus and bounced it, then dragged the new .wav file into a new project where I added a new limiter which allowed me to increase the volume a little. I've probably done this completely backwards, and I apologise if it sounds messy and clipped to your more experienced ears. I think I'm getting the compression side of it, but I've probably made a mess of it all haha.

My next step with this track will be to work on EQing it.

Any thoughts, hints or help?

(I'm using Logic Pro X on a 15 inch Macbook Pro, 2014, guitars recorded with a powered Kemper into a Focusrite 18i8.)

Last edited:
To even out volumes, use automation first. The guitars are all high end, nothing mid or low to them - until 2:35 when they kick in with the heavy gain and their sound clipped at this point. The bass volume is low. The drums stand out on top of everything, specially the kick and at 2:35 until 3:25 the crash is ridiculously loud and harsh.
How are you monitoring?

Thanks for your reply, I'm using Rokit 5's and Audio Technica headphones. Mainly I'm using my monitors.

I'll just address your post in points.

- Automation instead of compression? That's a new term for me, any good resources to learn about it? Is it basically the same as adding fade and volume increases and decreases in real time on each track? So if the bass track is a bit up and down, I increase/decrease the volume by XdB using automation in order to balance it out?

- The bass is quite prominent for me, on all devices.

- How do you mean 'all high end'? As in, the original tone or that they are in need of EQ in post?

- The clipping, would this be because it's too loud in the DAW? I don't hear it really, but that's just my ears.

- The crash, yes, you're right.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Nice tune.
I liked the guitar tone but it was too far back in comparison to the other elements. The hand claps were really dry and up front and the drums weren't quite as wet as the guitars either.

The kick after the gain guitars kick in is much too big. Probably clipping.

Thanks. I was a little perplexed as how to address the crash and kick issue, but I've just read that you can access each drum part individually and set the level, and EQ if neccasary. So I can do that tomorrow.

As for the guitar tone, it's no big deal as I can reamp really easily.

Guitar needs to come up 3-4db for sure. I'm not convinced the tone is all high end, just that it's sitting so low in the mix I can't discern the low end. Once it comes up a bunch it will be easier to tell.

The drums are WAAAAAAAAYYYYY too loud when they come in at 2:30 or so. The kick and crashes especially, as noted by others.

Forget EQ and compression for now and just focus on getting all your relative levels and panning on order. If your levels aren't set properly, the EQ and compression will hardly be effective.

Okay. Thanks for your reply.

The guitar at the beginning is solo, so do you not hear it there?

Should I use automation to get the levels right and look at setting the drum sections individually? So raise the snare mic, Tom mic etc to get a better relative mix?

As for panning, could you be a little more specific please? I have the verse and chorus guitars centred, as are the bass ones. Should I have them panned left (guitar) and right (bass), or double them up and pan them both stereo? For the gain part I have 4 tracks panned left and right and 2 centred.

I've decided to swap out my Rokits for some HS8's. I've seen a pair quite cheap on eBay so I've snapped them up.

Thanks.

Last edited:
- Automation instead of compression? That's a new term for me, any good resources to learn about it? Is it basically the same as adding fade and volume increases and decreases in real time on each track? So if the bass track is a bit up and down, I increase/decrease the volume by XdB using automation in order to balance it out?

- The bass is quite prominent for me, on all devices.

- How do you mean 'all high end'? As in, the original tone or that they are in need of EQ in post?

- The clipping, would this be because it's too loud in the DAW? I don't hear it really, but that's just my ears.

- The crash, yes, you're right.

Thanks.

Yes, setting an envelope for the volumes of each individual track, including the various drum mics.

I turned it up to listen again, the bass is there, but I think the kick's volume overshadows everything. During the loud part the bass is not loud enough, but first taming that crash is needed to adjust anything else. Clipping - happens when recording, overdriving the inputs. Maybe its happening in your settings, and not when tracking - what levels are you setting when tracking? You should be in the -18 to -12 dB range.

To be honest it could just be the input/output settings of my Kemper, I can easily reamp it with the settings on green/yellow. They may well of been hitting red at times to be honest. I am recording in that range yes.

I'm sorry, what do you mean by envelope? (I really am super new to this I'm afraid, always been a player. The Kemper was a buy a little out of my technical skill range...)

Currently, I've managed to separate all the drums like so. Is this right?

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 15.44.32.png

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I like the guitar styling a LOT.

It's mixed too edgy...and that's coming from a guy who really likes edgy guitar. You need to find the lo-mids on that. I hope it's there in the tracking and the you EQ'd this to get it this way. At around 2:10 (and in areas like this) the kick is way too loud. Drums in general are too out front.

Okay here's a revised version.

https://soundcloud.com/farce_bandit/take-home-newist

I've automated all the vocals, and I can hear a few loud spots so that needs sorting out.

I'm hoping that it's at least levelled a lot better. I've panned the drums and instruments, probably poorly and incorrectly. I've added some reverb to the vocals and brought the guitar more to the front.

It's mixed quite low so turn your monitors up and tell me what I've done wrong! :D

The clean guitars sound even thinner here. Can I guess what guitar it is? Some kind of Fender. I'm guessing maybe a strat with mid and bridge pickup. It sounds like a problem with the overall tone itself and not the recording or the post processing.

Everything else is sounding better. I think the bass should be a little louder, though I'm not listening with my sub, so I don't have an accurate gauge on that. Your kick sounds as though it's only on the left speaker now; am I wrong on that?

Also, it's quite because the track isn't compressed. That's a good thing :)

Even thinner? It sounds pretty full to me through my monitors... The bass is on 7, mids on 7 and treble on 4. I don't know what I can do about that, any thoughts? I'll reamp a few different profiles. Could it just be that it's on the bridge pickup?

You're right on all counts though. :) Strat on bridge/middle.

Yes, the kick seems to be on the left. Better down the middle?

Last edited:
The first mix is still the best. Every subsequent mix has got thinner and thinner. Even the claps have disappeared, now. It's like a faded watercolour.

There must be a better stock sound than that in your rig, surely? Your playing is really good, by the way.

You're right on all counts though. :) Strat on bridge/middle.

Damn, I'm awesome! :D When you have the guitar yerself, you can just tell. :)

The newest mix you posted had a MUCH better guitar. I think you can make it even fuller, but you're getting there. And yes, kick is usually down the middle unless you're going for weird. You might benefit from recording another clean guitar track and panning them left and right.

Okay cool, thanks.

I'll give double tracking the clean guitars a shot, although it seems that I'm always double tracking, when I'd like to have a good single tracked clean tone, for convenience and because people don't always double track and get good tones.

I think that this one is a lot more useable, right?

i think the drums need to come up a bit. I'm also finding that what I think sounds good, level wise on my monitors, sounds completely out on my headphones.

Last edited:
The guitars are good now. I would have preferred this done on the neck pickup, but that's just preference. :D

The bass is better. It sounds fairly trebly: I'd like it phatter, but that's also preference.

The drums are better, too. This mix is coming around :)

Back