2nd Look - MXL Genesis vs. 960

PhilGood

Juice box hero
OK, I'm hoping Harvey will tell us something about this mic in this thread and the drama can play out in the other one.

I for one would like to have some details before I buy one myself to see what it's like and my wife divorces me for buying another mic.

Any pics or samples Harvey?

...anyone?

...Bueller?

I had a quick listen to it with (I think) the high pass filter on and it sounded very smooth, with a small peak way up high (Alex thought it was around 12 KHz). My basic appraisal will be with the bass cut switch turned off, and that ain't happened yet. Alex likes it a lot, but I haven't heard it enough to form any opinion yet.

All 3 rooms have been very busy, so tests like this will hafta wait. Sorry.

As far as the drama goes, I didn't start it. But I am questioning whether my life would be a whole lot easier if I didn't post here, as a result of that drama.

Look, over the last decade, I've recommended a lot of different stuff from a lot of different manufacturers, and I've also blasted some other stuff that I didn't like, from those same manufacturers. I'm not in anyone's pocket and I don't just make recommendations without some extensive testing first (the Behringer ECM-8000 was the exception, and I warned people in my first post that I hadn't tested it yet).

Hell, I own MoreMe, but if you look over a lot of my posts, you'll see me often recommending Sennheiser, Beyer, or Grado. I don't mind helping people here, but not if I'm gonna get shit for it most every time.

I really believe that 99% of the members who post here are extremely grateful for the information you share-- not just about affordable products, but (even more so) about the art and science of recording. Beyond the members, I believe that there are many who never register here and stumble accross one of your mic technique or technical threads via a fortunate search, learn a whole lot, and don't feel inclined or that it's their place to thank you. You've helped out many people from the clueless to the skilled I am certain.

Haters will always hate because you get the respect they don't.

...I for one would like to have some details before I buy one myself to see what it's like and my wife divorces me for buying another mic...
With your skills I'd just MacGyver one together from an old 2001 and some red licorice. :)

Hmmm....

I had a quick listen to it with (I think) the high pass filter on and it sounded very smooth, with a small peak way up high (Alex thought it was around 12 KHz). My basic appraisal will be with the bass cut switch turned off, and that ain't happened yet. Alex likes it a lot, but I haven't heard it enough to form any opinion yet.

All 3 rooms have been very busy, so tests like this will hafta wait. Sorry.

As far as the drama goes, I didn't start it. But I am questioning whether my life would be a whole lot easier if I didn't post here, as a result of that drama.

Look, over the last decade, I've recommended a lot of different stuff from a lot of different manufacturers, and I've also blasted some other stuff that I didn't like, from those same manufacturers. I'm not in anyone's pocket and I don't just make recommendations without some extensive testing first (the Behringer ECM-8000 was the exception, and I warned people in my first post that I hadn't tested it yet).

Hell, I own MoreMe, but if you look over a lot of my posts, you'll see me often recommending Sennheiser, Beyer, or Grado. I don't mind helping people here, but not if I'm gonna get shit for it most every time.

Thanks for the little sneak peak Harvey.

That 12 K peak has me wondering if this mic bears some resemblance to the sound of that infamous Avant mic??

Harvey you did manage to look inside the mic, what was your take on the choices for capacitors, resistors etc???

Anything look like it was underspecced? Trouble spots maybe?? 600 bucks hopefully they covered their and our behinds so we don't wind up with some angry natives.

Thanks again and I appreciate your input and insights, I've seen your name thousands of times on various websites and your posts always have something of value in them. I feel bad that people are targeting you, but as we all have experienced that comes with the territory. You do alot of good in your life, bad shit happens to you in weird ways. Universal balance, that type of thing. But remember there are plenty of us out there who hope that you continue to be strong and focused, we've turned to you for guidance in the past and hopefully we will continue to. Leadership has its perks too!

Peace
Illumination

I am questioning whether my life would be a whole lot easier if I didn't post here, as a result of that drama.

I'm gonna put my $.02 in even though it wasn't asked for and I'd rather avoid the drama, but let me say this.

It's just like with songwriting Harvey, and you know it. No matter how good you are and how good the song is, somebody, somewhere isn't going to like it. And they will tell you so. You can never ever win over 100% of the listeners, and that's a fact. Somebody will hate it.

So?

If you take it personally and let that beat you up when a bunch of people think its a huge hit, how much fun will you have? How much will you enjoy life? How much will you enjoy making music?

There will always be differing opinions and you just have to know yourself and know what you have accomplished! Plenty of folks here who know and respect you. Some will agree with the other side once in a while. You know you're good! So do we! So some noob butthead or moderately talented so-so will challenge what you say because they have an overly inflated ego.

So?

Thick skin and self confidence will always prevail!

You have earned both!

Back