2 Rolling Stones covers.....

I now have a piano...

What's better than roses on your piano.....

...tulips on your organ.

:D :facepalm:

I just saw all these RAMI posts all over HR and wondered if it was possible... :eek:
Welcome back.
How's it going?

Nicely done tunes, as usual. :thumbs up:

Where you been? Cuba? The moon?
HA! I wish. Nah, I sometimes just get too caught up in posting and spending too much time here and on the internet in general, that I just need to get away from it. I spent the first about 35 years of my life without a computer. Since then, it seems to have taken over all of our lives. I sometimes just tell myself that if I was able to enjoy life without spending 80% of my waking hours on the internet before, I can do it again now.

It actually makes me more productive music-wise. I have about 5 new tunes that I got done during that time, as well as a couple of other covers. I'll post them as time goes on, just don't want to hog the Clinic's page 1.

Both very excellent, as usual. Love it!
:spank::eek:;)
Thanx a lot, Reel. You have a good memory. My other version of Rainbow has guitar doing all the piano parts. As much as it was a cool challenge, I like it way better with the piano. Thanx dude.

What's better than roses on your piano.....

...tulips on your organ.

:D :facepalm:
Groan......:D

Nicely done tunes, as usual. :thumbs up:
Thanx a lot buddy. :cool:

Nice! Rainbow came out great. I like that you reproduced the two longish breaks and did a pretty convincing job. Still has that RAMI buzz-cut cleanliness to it.. I don't listen to Black & Blue that much, definitely not my fave Stones minute but Memory Motel sounds really good too. What kind of piano/synth did you get?

Nice! Rainbow came out great. I like that you reproduced the two longish breaks and did a pretty convincing job. Still has that RAMI buzz-cut cleanliness to it.. I don't listen to Black & Blue that much, definitely not my fave Stones minute but Memory Motel sounds really good too. What kind of piano/synth did you get?

Thanx a lot, Flat.

Yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with Black and Blue. It's a weird album. It can be my favorite and my least favorite depending when you ask me.

I got a CASIO Privia something. But I'm only using it as a MIDI controller. I downloaded a bunch of free VST pianos from here: VST 4 FREE - Piano & Strings Plug-ins

On page 3 of that link, there's a "Jazz Baby" piano that I used for "Rainbow". I didn't tweak a thing. It sounded just like the record right off the bat. For "Motel", I layered 3 or 4 different pianos, also from that free VST page.

(I just realized that I said "no MIDI for me" earlier in this thread, which is an accidental lie, actually. I meant no sequencing. I practiced the parts until I was able to play them. I did overdub the left hand and the right hand parts for "Rainbow", though. I needed both hands to play the right hand part of that tune. "Motel", I was able to play without over-dubbing.)

Was it you who said I'll never use keyboards (years ago) or was it synths that you were referring to? I think it was on your CD but that was like 7 years ago. If it wasn't you then just ignore.
Both tunes are new to me - so I have no comparison in mind. All I can say is both have an appealing sound - clear but not harsh which can happen in this digital world. The playing is as always great - you seem to get better over time on your base instruments then wham out comes slide/whammy/piano. Jeez I'm still stuck in low gear....
Your time away has been fruitful as these two tunes show.

Was it you who said I'll never use keyboards (years ago) or was it synths that you were referring to? I think it was on your CD but that was like 7 years ago. If it wasn't you then just ignore.
Both tunes are new to me - so I have no comparison in mind. All I can say is both have an appealing sound - clear but not harsh which can happen in this digital world. The playing is as always great - you seem to get better over time on your base instruments then wham out comes slide/whammy/piano. Jeez I'm still stuck in low gear....
Your time away has been fruitful as these two tunes show.
Thanx a lot Ido. I really appreciate that.

True, I've said I'd never put a synth in any of my tunes. With very few exceptions, like maybe "Deep Purple", I don't think I can think of any keyboard bands that I like. But many tunes that I like have piano or organ. Those are real instruments in my mind.

On my site, I have "No synthesizers, loops, sequencers, or samples were used in the creation of any of these songs". I guess that technically, I should now take out the word "synthesizers", but not really, because I look at piano and organ as "real" instruments, even if I'm using a plug-in to get their sounds. I think it's comparable to using amp sims for guitar. You wouldn't say you're using a guitar synth.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

But many tunes that I like have piano or organ. Those are real instruments in my mind.

That's my philosophy, too. I put piano and organ right up there with acoustic and electric guitars. I'll use synths to replicate actual instruments I don't have access to, like a marimba or strings, but save for a few occasions, I try not to use a synth as a synthesizer.

And the 800 is doing fine. I still need to fix the power port, but no biggie.

That's my philosophy, too. I put piano and organ right up there with acoustic and electric guitars. I'll use synths to replicate actual instruments I don't have access to, like a marimba or strings, but save for a few occasions, I try not to use a synth as a synthesizer.

And the 800 is doing fine. I still need to fix the power port, but no biggie.
Cool. I think I remember having to wiggle it a bit once in a while. but since it never moved, it was never a problem that I noticed.

Yeah, my whole "anti-synth" stance turned into a bit of an inside joke. I think I'd tease TeyshaBlue about it, and he'd tease back. But it's not like I hate anyone for using synths. They just remind me too much of the 80's, and there is nothing good about most music made in the 80's. As much as I can be a pussy with some of my tastes in music, I'm still a rocker more than anything else. And to me, rock is guitars, drums and bass. Not much room for keys in my world. :D

Thanx a lot Ido. I really appreciate that.

True, I've said I'd never put a synth in any of my tunes. With very few exceptions, like maybe "Deep Purple", I don't think I can think of any keyboard bands that I like. But many tunes that I like have piano or organ. Those are real instruments in my mind.

On my site, I have "No synthesizers, loops, sequencers, or samples were used in the creation of any of these songs". I guess that technically, I should now take out the word "synthesizers", but not really, because I look at piano and organ as "real" instruments, even if I'm using a plug-in to get their sounds. I think it's comparable to using amp sims for guitar. You wouldn't say you're using a guitar synth.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

Yes I agree - a piano or organ is not a synthesizer in my mind. I associate synths more with strings and stuff. I guess if you wanted to get real technical, you could argue that a piano has to be an acoustic model and an organ has to be a B3 but these days even the pros use DX7 type pianos hidden in their grand pianos because they sound great and are way easier to line out to FOH.

In any case I was just kidding around :D and the main thing was that I was impressed with your ability to learn an incorporate (well) your latest additions (piano/slide/whammy oh yeah re-amping).

Yes I agree - a piano or organ is not a synthesizer in my mind. I associate synths more with strings and stuff. I guess if you wanted to get real technical, you could argue that a piano has to be an acoustic model and an organ has to be a B3 but these days even the pros use DX7 type pianos hidden in their grand pianos because they sound great and are way easier to line out to FOH.

In any case I was just kidding around :D and the main thing was that I was impressed with your ability to learn an incorporate (well) your latest additions (piano/slide/whammy oh yeah re-amping).
Thanx Ido. I knew you were kidding. :D

I listened to She's Like a Rainbow. Fantastic cover. Really good. I like the song to begin with. The cover is enough like the original, but with enough signature to make it worth listening to (sometimes covers are so similar, I figure I might just as well listen to the original).

Nice low end to the song. Which is a nice addition to the original.

Am I hearing some crackling in the mid 1:50's? Sounds like it.

Like the distorted guitars - the tone works well for the tune.

Like the tom work on this.

;)

I sometimes just tell myself that if I was able to enjoy life without spending 80% of my waking hours on the internet before, I can do it again now.

It actually makes me more productive music-wise

I like your attitude & I'm always in awe of your stuff. Great!

I listened to She's Like a Rainbow. Fantastic cover. Really good. I like the song to begin with.
Cool. I'm glad you know the original. These people telling me shit doesn't work when it worked for the most successful rock and roll band in the history of anything. Just goes to show........something. I'm not sure what, but it definitely goes to show. :D

Am I hearing some crackling in the mid 1:50's?
Probably. :laughings:
I'll go check it out later. There's a good chance you're right. :cool:

---------- Update ----------

I like your attitude & I'm always in awe of your stuff. Great!
Thanx man. Don't be in awe. I can't handle that kind of pressure. :D

Rainbow is really well done. I take it the piano is midi? It sounds too perfect. You could have redone that piano sound just a bit. Never liked it even on the original...Liked Memory a lot more. Great mix, great job! Can't wait to hear the new originals you did. Guess I'm gonna hafta hit your link and listen.
You have that voice that sounds good on so many different artists...(is there a jealous emoticon on here?). You really don't sound so much like Mick Jagger as Alice Cooper singing Mick Jagger, but it's still awesome.

Rainbow is really well done. I take it the piano is midi? It sounds too perfect.
It's MIDI as in I'm using a MIDI plug-in for the sound. But it is 100% played in real time, not sequenced. Like I said, for "Rainbow", I had to over-dub the left and right parts because I needed both hands to play the right hand part. But I played it, no sequencing or quantizing or anything like that. For "Motel", I was able to play it in real time with both hands, no over-dubbing.

You could have redone that piano sound just a bit. Never liked it even on the original
Doesn't matter. I was happy to get almost the exact same sound. No way I was going to change it. I'm glad you recognize that it's almost exactly like the original. You might want to have a talk with a couple of other guys in this thread.:D
Liked Memory a lot more. Great mix, great job!
Thanx man. It's almost too much a of a sappy love song, but for some reason I've always loved that tune. Lots going on in it.

You have that voice that sounds good on so many different artists...(is there a jealous emoticon on here?). You really don't sound so much like Mick Jagger as Alice Cooper singing Mick Jagger, but it's still awesome.
Cool. I'll take that. :cool:

Back