2 Rolling Stones covers.....

R

RAMI

Hey guys,

Haven't been around for a while. Hope everyone had a great holidays. :)

I have a bunch of new tunes, covers and originals. I don't know which to post first. I got so used to getting mix help here that it was actually weird finishing tunes and putting them up on my site without posting them here first.

I think I'll post a couple of covers. Rather than make separate threads, I'll just put both Stones tunes in this thread and you can take your pick.

I actually did both of these tunes about a year or more ago, but I didn't have a piano at the time, so I did all the piano parts on guitar at the time.

I now have a piano, so I replaced the proper parts with piano.

Let me know how it sounds and what I should change:

SHE'S A RAINBOW (Rolling Stones cover)

MEMORY MOTEL (Rolling Stones cover)

Great use of stereo on "She's a Rainbow".
Didn't like the lead guitar tone. Was rather penetrating. However, I find most lead guitar sounds in the 60/70s to be absolutely atrocious, so I'd say that it fits as a reference to the era.

Everything else just sounded splendid.

The lead tone of the 2nd one was better. A lot smoother.

Everything else is great. <3 the vocal harmonies & the bass guitar.

Great use of stereo on "She's a Rainbow".
Didn't like the lead guitar tone. Was rather penetrating. However, I find most lead guitar sounds in the 60/70s to be absolutely atrocious, so I'd say that it fits as a reference to the era.

Everything else just sounded splendid.

The lead tone of the 2nd one was better. A lot smoother.

Everything else is great. <3 the vocal harmonies & the bass guitar.

Thanx man.

"She's a Rainbow"............Didn't like the lead guitar tone.
I'm trying to figure this one out. There is no lead guitar in "She's s Rainbow". What are you referring to?

When I say "lead guitar", I usually mean any guitar not playing chords.

The guitar in the left speaker that mimics the singing somewhat. Kicks in it 0:17

When I say "lead guitar", I usually mean any guitar not playing chords.

The guitar in the left speaker that mimics the singing somewhat. Kicks in it 0:17

Ah, I see. Yeah, that. That's a slide guitar (actually 4 tracks of slide guitar layered), which is trying to mimic horns on the original. All that stuff on the left is layered slide guitars trying to either mimic horns or strings from the original. Thanx man.

Good to see ya back. Listening to Rainbow now...The drum sound is incredible. I think the vocal could come down a little bit. Not much though. Nice crunch guitar on the right. I actually like the slide guitar on the right, it could come up just a bit too. This is a cool rock n roll update on an oldie but goodie. Nice work.

No fair on Memory Motel. You can't just post the original and say it's you. C'mon, man!

Awesome job, dude. You're getting pretty good at this music stuff.

Good to see ya back. Listening to Rainbow now...The drum sound is incredible. I think the vocal could come down a little bit. Not much though. Nice crunch guitar on the right. I actually like the slide guitar on the right, it could come up just a bit too. This is a cool rock n roll update on an oldie but goodie. Nice work.
Thanx a lot, bro. I can bring down the vocals in this no problem. I'd actually prefer that. It's an older vocal track from when I was still a smoker and I totally hear it on my voice, not in a good way. I have a "stuffed up" sound to my voice when I listen to these older tracks. Thanx a lot.:cool:

No fair on Memory Motel. You can't just post the original and say it's you. C'mon, man!

Awesome job, dude. You're getting pretty good at this music stuff.
Ha! Thanx. I like to stay pretty true to the original when I do covers, but I don't think it's THAT close. :D I appreciate that, though. I did this vocal track very recently, and like I was saying above, I used to be a smoker. Nice to see that it's not just my imagination that my voice sounds better now. Thanx a lot, Lou.

I remember the old She's A Rainbow with guitars, I really liked that version. This sounds equally as great. The only thing I would change would be to add a handful of reverb to the piano to make it sound a bit more distant, like the original. But that's a personal thing.

:thumbs up:

For some reason I can't get the 2nd one to download but that's probably my internet. I've been having issues today with lots of sites. Like Arnie, "I'll be back".

I remember the old She's A Rainbow with guitars, I really liked that version. This sounds equally as great. The only thing I would change would be to add a handful of reverb to the piano to make it sound a bit more distant, like the original. But that's a personal thing.

:thumbs up:

For some reason I can't get the 2nd one to download but that's probably my internet. I've been having issues today with lots of sites. Like Arnie, "I'll be back".
Thanx a lot, buddy. It should give you a choice of downloading or just playing it without having to download.

Anyway, thanx for checking out "Rainbow". I'll have to go back and listen to the original again. I spent so much time learning the part (no MIDI for me) and getting as close as I could to the piano sound that I didn't notice if there was reverb on it. I'll definitely check that out.

Thanx a lot Clean. :cool:

I downloaded the 2nd one in 8 seconds. Bless Google Fiber :)

Listening to Motel now. This one sounds great as well. Again, drums are excellent. There's something a little different about the snare on this one. Compressor maybe? I like it. Vocals sit in this mix better than the other one, and background vocals sound very good as well. Very Jagger vibe on the vocals here. Good vocal slapback delay. Mind if I ask what delay settings you used? I tried that last week and I don't like how it sounded, but yours sounds very nice.

No nits to pick here, sounds like a great mix to me.

She's a Rainbow: The piano sound's too compressed - those notes are like hits from a little ball peen hammer. That guitar tone that you've got panned left really doesn't work for me, or the verb you've got on it. If it was a synth, it'd be a square wave. And that sound at 3.23? Aw, c'mon. Really? The rest is great - you're really tight and I love how you're exploring stuff. More, please. Oh hang on... you posted two lol.

I think Memory Motel worked better. Check out this triangle though: vocal, drums, backing vocals. Both the bvs ('just a memory') and the drums are in front of the vocal. If it was me, I'd turn 'em both down. I know you're in love with drums though. Good tuneage. Enjoyed it.

She's a Rainbow: The piano sound's too compressed - those notes are like hits from a little ball peen hammer. That guitar tone that you've got panned left really doesn't work for me, or the verb you've got on it. If it was a synth, it'd be a square wave. And that sound at 3.23? Aw, c'mon. Really? The rest is great - you're really tight and I love how you're exploring stuff. More, please. Oh hang on... you posted two lol.

I think Memory Motel worked better. Check out this triangle though: vocal, drums, backing vocals. Both the bvs ('just a memory') and the drums are in front of the vocal. If it was me, I'd turn 'em both down. I know you're in love with drums though. Good tuneage. Enjoyed it.
I'll answer everything in a bit, guys. Just dropping in quick, but don't have time to go into detail.

Dobro, go listen to the original. I'm pretty sure I got pretty damn close to the piano sound of the original on Rainbow. That guitar on the left that you hate is trying to mimic horns and strings, like I said earlier. I'm not saying I pulled it off, just trying to explain what I was trying to do.

As far the rest, I'll go back and listen later. Thanx.

Be back later. :cool:

Last edited:
Glad to see you back Rami!

I can't listen cuz I got's a cold and stopped up ears, but I'll come back to it later. Thanks for posting.

OK, I'm back. Let me try to address everything as best I can.

Motel........There's something a little different about the snare on this one.
Probably. I wish I could remember. I did the music tracks for this over a year ago. I don't stray too much with compressor setting and such from song to song, so I'll guess that the snare just happened to be tuned the way it was tuned at that time.
Mind if I ask what delay settings you used?
On the vocals, I almost always put a little bit of mono delay. Depending on the tune, it will be more noticeable in some than others. I always use the Kaujerhaus (sp?) Classic Delay. I also almost always use the "sync" function or whatever it's called, and set it to 16th notes or 8th notes. In this tune, it's 16th notes.

Thanx for all the comments. :cool:

She's a Rainbow: The piano sound's too compressed - those notes are like hits from a little ball peen hammer.
OK, like I said, the original has that same sound. It's a very compressed music-box type sound. I actually didn't put any compression on it, but on the original, you hear major compression pumping on the piano and the whole mix. Listen to the original.
That guitar tone that you've got panned left really doesn't work for me, or the verb you've got on it. If it was a synth, it'd be a square wave.
Again, I sort of addressed that above. Isn't a trumpet a square wave? If so, then you just told me that I got really close to what I was trying to mimic, because I'm trying to "do" a trumpet part there. I think you should listen to the original.
And that sound at 3.23? Aw, c'mon. Really?
Me c'mon? No, you c'mon, man. Chill out. :D I put a little backwards part in there. Big deal. It's a song from the 60's, I don't think what I did is that far-fetched for something like this. Again, I suggest you go listen to the original, because that part has way more weirdness and backwards stuff on the original than what I did. If I added all the weirdness and reverse stuff that they did, I think you'd have a coronary. Most of the stuff you don't seem to like is on the original or at least very close to it.

Thanx. Mick's lead vocals are rarely out front, if ever. I will take another listen, though. The drums might be a little loud, but that's always better than drums being too low, which seems to ruin too many home recordings.

Are you at all familiar with the Rolling Stones? :D

Thanx a lot for the comments.

Last edited:
Glad to see you back Rami!

I can't listen cuz I got's a cold and stopped up ears, but I'll come back to it later. Thanks for posting.

Good to see you, Greg. Time flies. I just took a look, and my last post before posting this tune is almost exactly 2 months ago. :eek:

Hope you're doing well. Get over that shitty cold. They suck. :(

Are you at all familiar with the Rolling Stones? :D

Sure, but not those two. I understand now that you were aiming at the sound of the original - it explains everything. You're a really good recordist, so I couldn't figure out why you were making those sounds. I get it now. And again, I like how you're exploring new stuff - very cool. Applause.

Where you been? Cuba? The moon?

Sure, but not those two. I understand now that you were aiming at the sound of the original - it explains everything. You're a really good recordist, so I couldn't figure out why you were making those sounds. I get it now. And again, I like how you're exploring new stuff - very cool. Applause.
Thanx Dobro. I have to be honest and say that I hesitated to point all that out because I hate it when I see someone post something, get critiques, and then start arguing with people. I always think to myself "Why the hell did you ask for opinions if you're going to argue and disagree?". I hope it didn't seem that's what I was doing.
It was important for me to point out that most of the things you mentioned really were very similar to the original. Has nothing to do with not respecting your opinion. It's always welcome. I'm not here to just get pats on the back. I WANT criticism. :cool:

Hey Rami. Listened to Memory Motel last night. Don't know the original, but this version sounds great. especially enjoyed the way the bass and kick work together. Did you remix everything after adding the piano? Vocals sound different for some reason. Maybe because I haven't heard one of your songs in a while and it's just psycho-acoustics kicking in.

No real comments on the mix or performance. To me, everything is Ram-o-perfect. I hate that you're back and setting the bar way too high for us common folk.

:D

cheers,

Hey Rami. Listened to Memory Motel last night. Don't know the original, but this version sounds great. especially enjoyed the way the bass and kick work together. Did you remix everything after adding the piano? Vocals sound different for some reason. Maybe because I haven't heard one of your songs in a while and it's just psycho-acoustics kicking in.

No real comments on the mix or performance. To me, everything is Ram-o-perfect. I hate that you're back and setting the bar way too high for us common folk.

:D

cheers,
Thanx a lot, Chili. Great to hear from you man. How's the us-800 doing?

I did re-mix after adding the piano. But I also re-sang it. So, everything's about 2 years old except for the piano and the vocals....and the mix itself. :)

Back