2 Overheads and 1 Snare Mic Make This

Thanks! I tried the whole Glyn Johns setup, and it sounded pretty much the same to me.
Are you sure you're panning everything correctly? Do you have your overheads panned L&R and snare centre? Are you recording in stereo, not mono? Are you saving as stereo interleaved?

In that recording, the toms sound good but the kick is weak. Moving the mics back behind the drummer and down a little would help that, I think.

The bass drum doesn't really radiate sound upwards; the heads radiate most of the sound laterally.

the toms sound good but the kick is weak.
Yeah, I think he's aware of that, based on his first post:
THERE IS NO KICK DRUM MIC IN THIS RECORDING!!!

Again, this is with just 2 overheads and a snare mic, so don't mind the crappy, off-in-the-distance kick sound. I think once I get the new kick mic mixed in, it'll sound rockin :cool:

In that recording, the toms sound good but the kick is weak. Moving the mics back behind the drummer and down a little would help that, I think.

The bass drum doesn't really radiate sound upwards; the heads radiate most of the sound laterally.

Um yeah, read above.

Are you sure you're panning everything correctly? Do you have your overheads panned L&R and snare centre? Are you recording in stereo, not mono? Are you saving as stereo interleaved?

Yes, I had everything panned correctly. It may be mono, I don't know. I run from a left and a right output on my board, which conforms into one cable that goes into the line-in jack of my laptop. I'm using Garageband, so I don't know how to save as stereo interleaved.

Yes, I had everything panned correctly. It may be mono, I don't know. I run from a left and a right output on my board, which conforms into one cable that goes into the line-in jack of my laptop. I'm using Garageband, so I don't know how to save as stereo interleaved.
Ah, i got mixed up between you and someone else who uses audacity. Do you have two signals into garageband? Does they change depending on what of the drums is being played? Do you export in stereo? Even the way you had it set up before should give you some stereo image and Recorderman/Glyn John technique should give a geat stereo image.

Ah, i got mixed up between you and someone else who uses audacity. Do you have two signals into garageband? Does they change depending on what of the drums is being played? Do you export in stereo? Even the way you had it set up before should give you some stereo image and Recorderman/Glyn John technique should give a geat stereo image.

I don't know... I honestly, truly did set everything up according to the Glyn John method, and it sounded identical to me. Looks like I only get one signal on Garageband, like on the track itself. Then again, I probably don't know what you're talking about either. I export the file to iTunes as a .mp3 file, so I don't know about that either.

I don't know... I honestly, truly did set everything up according to the Glyn John method, and it sounded identical to me. Looks like I only get one signal on Garageband, like on the track itself. Then again, I probably don't know what you're talking about either. I export the file to iTunes as a .mp3 file, so I don't know about that either.

Sounds like you're summing the two mics into one "mono" signal.

You need to record the overheads as two seperate mono tracks or one stereo track.

There should be an option in garage band to record a stereo signal from the soundcard, or at last 2 mono signals at once, which you can pan L&R. If not, download Audacity. It's free and perfect for beginners. It will allow you to record stereo(you can choose between mono and stereo in preferences). No wonder you didn't hear a difference if you are recording in mono :P. Hope you get it working.

Haha, yes, I can read the title of the thread. Don't forget that things can get lost in translation when all you have is text.

All I was trying to do is give an opinion how you could make the recording stronger.

...since that is the point of the thread, no? My advice still stands.

Um yeah, read above.

Have to admit that Im quite surprized by AD conversion quality here,
I mean, using line in input on MBP !!!

Haha, yes, I can read the title of the thread. Don't forget that things can get lost in translation when all you have is text.

All I was trying to do is give an opinion how you could make the recording stronger.

...since that is the point of the thread, no? My advice still stands.

No, you still don't seem to get it. You kept saying how my kick sounded weak, and in my original post, I said there was no kick drum used in this recording. So of course it's going to sound weak. I have a new one coming in this week, and I'll do another recording then.

No, you still don't seem to get it. You kept saying how my kick sounded weak, and in my original post, I said there was no kick drum used in this recording. So of course it's going to sound weak. I have a new one coming in this week, and I'll do another recording then.

So what are you looking for? A bunch of atta boys?

Hey your kick-less drum track sounds awesome! It can't get any better! Way to go!

No, I understand that there's no kick mic. You've definitely made that clear.
All I'm offering is an opinion on how to get a better sound while you're waiting for the mic to come in. There shouldn't be any reason why you can't get a full drum sound with only overheads and a snare mic.

If you don't want to put in the effort to optimize your current set up and just wait for the kick mic to arrive, that's cool... just disregard what I offered. I was only trying to help.

Back