2 Overheads and 1 Snare Mic Make This

BRX rad

Hey Guys,

Since my band is deciding to get back together, which means making another album, I decided that since I got my new kit (Pearl Masters BRX), I should go back beforehand to get it sounding good on recordings so that when the time comes, we're ready to rock and roll. Let me just say, it took a lot of adjusting from the settings I had saved from recording my Export kit - totally different sound. So here's the deal...

In case you don't know, the way I record is simple. I use Garageband on my Macbook Pro because I don't have any other recording software. Therefore, all I do is plug my mics into my mixer board, and run the outputs of the mixer board directly into the line-in jack of my laptop. Not the best, I know, but it's all I have, and I try to make everything sound decent on one track.

The mics I used here were 2 Audio Technica 2020's as overheads, and one SM57 on the snare. I would have used a kick mic, but my PG-52 took a crap on me, so I just ordered a new Shure Beta 52A today :D So just take note, THERE IS NO KICK DRUM MIC IN THIS RECORDING!!! When it gets here next week, I'll do another recording with the new kick mic mixed in.

I just got these overheads yesterday, and I must say for how cheap they were, I'm very happy with them. They pick everything (except the toms maybe...) up nicely, especially the cymbals. A few of you may remember me starting a thread asking what overheads I could buy for under $150, well I found these for $60 brand new on eBay!!! :D

Let me know what you guys think. Again, this is with just 2 overheads and a snare mic, so don't mind the crappy, off-in-the-distance kick sound. I think once I get the new kick mic mixed in, it'll sound rockin :cool:

Thanks!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=756906

Once you add the mic'd kick in that'll be a very nice sound - the only thing missing at the moment. I would describe it as powerful but very natural. I would maybe like the stereo image a tad bit wider - cymbals seem a tad crunched up in the middle with the snare at the moment. How much are the OH tracks panned at the moment?

Once you add the mic'd kick in that'll be a very nice sound - the only thing missing at the moment. I would describe it as powerful but very natural. I would maybe like the stereo image a tad bit wider - cymbals seem a tad crunched up in the middle with the snare at the moment. How much are the OH tracks panned at the moment?

One is panned left, and one is panned right. I wish they didn't pick up so much of the snare.... there's like a certain level I can't go below with the level of the snare or else the overheads start to pick it up. I want the snare mic to pick it up more than the overheads, which is why the snare is a tad but on the louder side.

Should I pan the overheads differently do you think?

Thanks.

how did you setup the audio technicas at 2020's as overheads? I have one and I'm debating how I could use it on a drum set considering I already have a matched pair of behringer c-2s (which are small diaphragm condenser).

your drums sound really good, as soon as you add a kick it'll be sweet. Good mixing job.. I have to run from a line in to my mixer too so it kinda sucks. oh well.

keep it up.

There's nothing wrong with having a fair amount of snare in the overheads. In a lot of mixes the the overheads may give most of the snare sound, with the snare mic just helping it push through. Think of how the levels will sit with other instruments.

How hard are they panned left and right? And I'd also be interested in how you have the overheads set up.

how did you setup the audio technicas at 2020's as overheads? I have one and I'm debating how I could use it on a drum set considering I already have a matched pair of behringer c-2s (which are small diaphragm condenser).

your drums sound really good, as soon as you add a kick it'll be sweet. Good mixing job.. I have to run from a line in to my mixer too so it kinda sucks. oh well.

keep it up.

Thanks man! I know how you feel... Here's two pictures of how I have the AT 2020's mounted :D

Attachments

• IMG_2097.jpg
    IMG_2097.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2100.jpg
    IMG_2100.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 128
There's nothing wrong with having a fair amount of snare in the overheads. In a lot of mixes the the overheads may give most of the snare sound, with the snare mic just helping it push through. Think of how the levels will sit with other instruments.

How hard are they panned left and right? And I'd also be interested in how you have the overheads set up.

I just posted a couple pics of how I have them setup. And in regards to how they're panned, one is panned completely left, and one completely right.

http://www.blaxploitation.com/drums/
That method will help with the stereo image.

+1

That's how I do everything with my 4 mic setup - 2 OH in this configuration, plus snare and kick. The Recorderman method also gives a very nice stereo image; I find that the Glyn Johns linked above just sounds better to me, and gives the toms a little more body.

You definitely have a nice sound already; once the kick mic is in and you experiment a bit with the overheads, you'll be in great shape! :D

+1

That's how I do everything with my 4 mic setup - 2 OH in this configuration, plus snare and kick. The Recorderman method also gives a very nice stereo image; I find that the Glyn Johns linked above just sounds better to me, and gives the toms a little more body.

You definitely have a nice sound already; once the kick mic is in and you experiment a bit with the overheads, you'll be in great shape! :D

Thanks! I tried the whole Glyn Johns setup, and it sounded pretty much the same to me.

Hey BRX, the mics work in a cone shape. You're pointing half the cones towards a low untreated ceiling. If you're solo tracking, try the overheads out in front of the drums versus the usual overhead config. Give the drums as much room to breathe as you can. Add other live instruments to the room and the fun begins.

If you're happy with the sound you have then don't ask :p

side address as in the sound is best projected towards one side right? Because my audio technica says back on one side and I definetely do not use that side.

side address as in the sound is best projected towards one side right? Because my audio technica says back on one side and I definetely do not use that side.

Yes, it's a cardoid mic, meaning it picks up what's right in front of the capsule. The "back" means the other side is the pickup side.

ok. Have you tried recording in the glyn johns method or recordman method? I want to try them out... I don't quite know ortf. Last time I recorded drums I just threw two sdc on it.

ok. Have you tried recording in the glyn johns method or recordman method? I want to try them out... I don't quite know ortf. Last time I recorded drums I just threw two sdc on it.

I use the Recorderman all the time. Glyn Johns and the others don't work well for me with my room and drum setup.

Back