16 tracks on pc?

Terratec etc

Monsieur Roel,

The terratec has a breakout box. Form their website:

Eight high-quality analog input and output converters process audio signals (continuously from the hardware to the software) with up to 24 bit and 96 kHz. The converters - and a full-scale MIDI interface - are housed in a 5 1/4" module that can be mounted in a PC drive bay or installed externally

ie a breakout box that I can put somewhere where the inputs don't face the wrong way

Why do I need 2 preamps when I have 8 on my console already?

When it's another 50e I don't have, then it makes a difference.

There are good things and bad things about both. Preamps would be useful if I didn't have a mixer and only wanted to record two tracks at a time, but I like to record 8 drum tracks at once, so I need the mixer anyway. A rackmount breakout box would be a sweet, but with a mixer I'd want the inputs at the back

etc etc

The Focusrite Octopre has a digital option card that can run ADAT. This preamp sounds better than anything else even remotely in its class, and with the ADAT card hooked into, say, a Digi001, would give you an awful lot of simultaneous tracks....

Ok cakey... You win. Well... Let's call it a draw. :p

If it's got a breakoutbox I guess it's about the same yeah... Didn't see the breakout box, just a cable with loads of connectors on one end. Yuck!

I don't know how you install your stuff, but connections in the back aren't that much of a problem if you have a flightcase setup as your rack. You just mount it in the back... :rolleyes: It doesn't matter all that much.

And even if you just install it, you leave a little space under it and run the cables nicely via there. You can do that pretty clean I think...

But it's your choice. I haven't heard any of them, so I really wouldn't know....

I quite like the cables underneath idea - simple fix (but not pretty!). But I'd rather have all the ins/outs at the back.

As for sound, I've not heard them either. But it would cost me the difference in price to go somewhere where I could hear them A-B'd!

I have heard hearsay that the hoontech sound quality leaves something to be desired, but that's just rumours.

But it's something to think about f'sure.

Back