16 tracks on pc?

Roel

That SMART guy.
I was wondering. If I wanted to have 16 tracks, which way would I go? Most *big* cards have 8 inputs/outputs. So I guess you'd need 2 cards... Which way would you go? Price is always something to keep in mind, ofcourse...

I use the MOTU 24i which has 24 inputs and 2 outputs. I got it for $450 new from samash. It records 24 bit 44.1 or 48khz. There are others which do 96 if you need.

Wow... I thought Motu was fairly expensive... Guess I guessed wrong there...

From what I found, there's some package with the lunaII and A16. 1655 Euro's. Looked pretty good...

Then there's the delta1010, which has 8 inputs. Two of those would set me back at about 1700 Euro's, and you need them to work together. More hardware is more trouble, I guess...

And there's the C-port. Also got only 8 inputs, so you need to get 2 to work together too. Two of those would be about 800Euros.

And there's paris ofcourse. There's a package of 2000$, but that also has a control surface and software. I like that.

Gonna check the motu stuf now...

MOTU used to be, and sometimes is still expensive. They had a deal at a few stores because they told me they were discontinuing the 24i. But this never happened it appears? I still find the 24i in stores. Some offer it for in the thousand dollar range (dunno what that is in euros).

I use the Layla24 only one though. Your supposed to be able to pair them up similar to the Delta 1010. Also check out the Frontier Designs Tango24. I haven't heard too much hype on this board but Bill Park over at Pro Rec seems to stand by them. I give Bill Park much respect in case you haven't encountered him yet. Similar to a Harvey Gerst.

The layla is about 1200Euro over here... That's pretty expensive compared to the other brands.

Also, the MOTU 2408 MKII is about 1300 Euro. The 24i is at 1850 Euro. That's about double you payed. :(

DIGI 001 about 1200Euro. And that AI-3 thingy about 550euro.

I guess I'd go with the lunaII thingy. Or maybe the paris thing. If I'd have the money. I'm just browsing and dreaming. :D

Maybe the MOTU thing is cool too. But what bothers me here is that it doesn't have onboard DSP's. (I think? It is stated somewhere on there website, they don't put advanced dsp technology on it, so that you benefit from every upgrade your pc gets....) The Creamware stuff is the opposite philosophy. BIG dsp cards in your pc... I would go for that. Looks cooler too. :cool:

Any thoughts?

Thanks, but I really have no money... Well, I could afford the card, but I'd need to upgrade my pc and all my recording stuff too, which would be over the top.

I'm really just browsing around, trying to learn what is available and keeping track of the costs... Since I don't use a pc yet, I never investigated this all that much. Kindof a case study. hehe.
Thanks anyway!

Anybody know why at one point guitar center and sam ash had the MOTU 24i for $500 and now it is back up to $1200 from them?

Keilson,I also picked up one of 24i's from G.C. at the blowout price,I think it was back in feb. or march.
G.C. even put them in their catalog for 449/499 exp/core ,but if you looked on their website (Musicians Friend)or anyone else's site they all listed them around 1100 to 1200 dollars.
The rep that sold me mine, and the catalog that listed them, said it was overstock pricing,but rumours abound on the net and I too thought they were discoed.
Especially since when you go to motu's site they aren't listed on the main page in the left column like they used to be.

Terratec

Roel,

I too have no money and in desperate need of a new soundcard or two.

I have been considering the Terratec EWS 88 MT, just because it's cheap! I use Thomann.de - you can get the card from them for 355 euro! It has a thingy which allows you to sync up up to 4 units (assuming you can install them)

The C-Port doesn't seem to be available new, but the DSP2000 is 409 euro at Thomann.

G'luck,

matt

Lucky you!! Over here (Belgium) that dsp displays 411Euro at thomann.de! (They are pretty cheap... Me like... hehe)

The DSP2000 IS the C-port... I think it could well be worth the extra 50 euro. You get an external rack unit with 2 preamps extra, 2 midi outputs, logic software, and optical dig outputs too!
(Jup, I did my homework!!)

Think you should do a good comparison. Here's the link for C-port...

D'oh

You're right, my mistake over the name.

Things I don't like about the C-Port:

Preamps. If I have 2 on an 8-track recording, I'd be very surprised if they didn't colour the sound differently to the rest of the inputs! And the website doesn't say they're switchable.

Rack box: all the inputs are at the front! Where's the use in that? All my mixer outs are at the back. I can't tell if they're reproduced on the back of the unit, but I'd guess not as the outputs are probably there.

I'd be grateful if anyone has thoughts on either of those things.

Things I like about the Terratec:

It's cheap :D

Ok... things about the terratec: it hasn't got preamps... Not even 2.
It doesn't have an outbreak box, which means convertors on the card which means noise.... Alot of noise.
It's got all the outputs on one special cable. What a mess. All at the back of your pc... That's gotta look good.

And for the C-port: just as cheap. You gonna moan about 50€ on a 400€ investement?

and if you tried to use any other softwear with the 001 your given 2 choices adat 1 and 2 or analog 1 0r 2 thats it

From their website:
24 tracks of recording and playback, 8 channels of analog I/O (2 of them with built-in mic preamps) and 8 channels of ADAT optical I/O, 2 channels of S/PDIF digital I/O

So what fogarty was aiming at: you got 8 channels analog I/O with this setup. So if you want to record more tracks, you need some thingy that will get your audio in the adat format to record it via the ADAT interface. Which can be done by the Alesis thingy.

I didn't get that last post of yours... What do you mean?

Back