‘Rich Men North Of Richmond’ Oliver Anthony's viral video 20 million views in 9 days Damn!

LOL, finally selling my Virginia house, it's north of Richmond in Caroline County. I ain't a rich man, that's for sure. ha ha ha

I had tenants in there for the last 14 - 15 years. The last one totally destroyed the house. Spent a buttload of money that I don't have to get it ready for the market. We close on the sale end of August. Can't wait to get that disease out of my head.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Reactions: TAE
WHOOPS. Big whoopsie’ what a difference one word omitted from a sentence can make! I left out no.

I meant to say “I have NO negative comments on the song or man”

Sorry my bad. Late nite posting. Original posting corrected.
I have to admit, I read it the way it was typed ;)

From my understanding he's from Farmville, Virginia. It's not like the above video. Yeah, it's country, but it isn't like that. No mining for coal there, it's not even particularly mountainous. Economically, a lot of those small towns, plenty of farming, and a factory or two if you're lucky to gain employment, the rest lord knows what they do to support themselves and family. Pass the same dollar around from one to another I suppose. Factory closes (or layoffs) and the bottom drops out from stability to you're screwed. A ripple effect, for everyone. It's about an hour east of Lynchburg, home of the late Jerry Falwell of The Moral Majority fame and the legacy of the now Liberty University, an hour west of Petersburg. Virginia saw quite a bit of Civil War action, to include Petersburg. Headed west about 25 miles from Farmville on rt. 460 is Appomattox, Va, site of Lee's surrender to Grant at the McClean House. There's a lot of history in Virginia, going back to colonial times. 4 of the first 5 presidents called Virginia home, 8 in all, most of any state. Given the locale, and history, and one might encounter the rebel flag flying here and there(which I feel is kind of stupid but has nothing to do with race), in general those small Virginia towns don't suffer the racial angst one might assume. Not like larger cities throughout America. Take Charlottesville, Va, none of that shit was even on the map of concerns for anybody until northern busybodies and outside agitators made it so. Hell, I even have a couple relatives great great uncles or whatever buried in the confederate cemetery there in Charlottesville, transported to a field hospital there where they died. I'm not all weepy over it, but I don't see how the little drummer boy statue that stood at the entry to the cemetery was really bothering anyone. It's history. I can't say whether they succeeded or not, but they even set sights on tearing down the statue there in Charlottesville of the founder of The University of Virginia, Thomas Jefferson. It's crazy, petty, asinine. In the small Virginia town close to where have moved and live there are more interracial couples and biracial children than I ever saw in the larger places I've lived. In fact closest neighbor(s).

I'm not trying to poke anyone in the eye, just talking reality. From my understanding Dogooder is from somewhere up north, now living in Virginia. I've never seen more thinly veiled off-color(see racist) "jokes" be told by anyone in these here pages. Somehow he gets a pass. Oh well. He'd be well advised don't do that in the meatworld, he'd likely get his block knocked off. We don't need that shit here, we Virginians.

Just trying to separate myth from reality. Oliver Anthony guy is from Farmville, Va, which isn't considered "Appalachia". And for the record, the correct pronunciation is not Appa lay chia, only a damn Yankee would say such a thing. Correct pronunciation is Appa latch uh. Ask the American Indians/Native Americans.

From my understanding he's from Farmville, Virginia. It's not like the above video.
You're right my intro to the Appalachia video was a bit misleading....He is from Farmville but in his interview he mentions he's been all over the area with his jobs.
Clearly he has seen what goes on in the likes of what is brought to focus in the video.. His video and song broke on RadioWV ( West Virginia where much of the Appalachia video was shot)
He mentions MIners being forgotten in this song...

Here's the interview...

Im sitting in such a weird place in my life right now. I never wanted to be a full time musician, much less sit at the top of the iTunes charts. Draven from RadioWv and I filmed these tunes on my land with the hope that it may hit 300k views. I still don’t quite believe what has went on since we uploaded that. It’s just strange to me.

People in the music industry give me blank stares when I brush off 8 million dollar offers. I don’t want 6 tour buses, 15 tractor trailers and a jet. I don’t want to play stadium shows, I don’t want to be in the spotlight. I wrote the music I wrote because I was suffering with mental health and depression. These songs have connected with millions of people on such a deep level because they’re being sung by someone feeling the words in the very moment they were being sung. No editing, no agent, no bullshit. Just some idiot and his guitar. The style of music that we should have never gotten away from in the first place.

So that being said, I have never taken the time to tell you who I actually am. Here’s a formal introduction:

My legal name is Christopher Anthony Lunsford. My grandfather was Oliver Anthony, and “Oliver Anthony Music” is a dedication not only to him, but 1930’s Appalachia where he was born and raised. Dirt floors, seven kids, hard times. At this point, I’ll gladly go by Oliver because everyone knows me as such. But my friends and family still call me Chris. You can decide for yourself, either is fine.

In 2010, I dropped out of high school at age 17. I have a GED from Spruce Pine, NC. I worked multiple plant jobs in Western NC, my last being at the paper mill in McDowell county. I worked 3rd shift, 6 days a week for $14.50 an hour in a living hell. In 2013, I had a bad fall at work and fractured my skull. It forced me to move back home to Virginia. Due to complications from the injury, it took me 6 months or so before I could work again.

From 2014 until just a few days ago, I’ve worked outside sales in the industrial manufacturing world. My job has taken me all over Virginia and into the Carolinas, getting to know tens of thousands of other blue collar workers on job sites and in factories. Ive spent all day, everyday, for the last 10 years hearing the same story. People are SO damn tired of being neglected, divided and manipulated.

In 2019, I paid $97,500 for the property and still owe about $60,000 on it. I am living in a 27′ camper with a tarp on the roof that I got off of craigslist for $750.

There’s nothing special about me. I’m not a good musician, I’m not a very good person. I’ve spent the last 5 years struggling with mental health and using alcohol to drown it. I am sad to see the world in the state it’s in, with everyone fighting with each other.

I have spent many nights feeling hopeless, that the greatest country on Earth is quickly fading away.

He's not alone :unsure:

Last edited:
Yup. The people who are receiving the free stuff are beginning to hate the people who are paying for the free stuff because the people taking the money from those who pay for are telling the people receiving the free stuff that they no longer want to pay for the free stuff.
But the people paying for the free stuff can no longer afford the free stuff AND their own stuff which means they need to start receiving the free stuff which makes them hate the people who receive the free stuff even though they now need to receive the free stuff....
So the people paying hate the people receiving because they have to pay. The people receiving hate the people who pay because they can no longer afford to pay. And NOBODY has figured out that the only ones you need to hate are the middle ground people that are telling you to hate each other while they give up nothing?

Reactions: RFR
Yup. The people who are receiving the free stuff are beginning to hate the people who are paying for the free stuff because the people taking the money from those who pay for are telling the people receiving the free stuff that they no longer want to pay for the free stuff.
But the people paying for the free stuff can no longer afford the free stuff AND their own stuff which means they need to start receiving the free stuff which makes them hate the people who receive the free stuff even though they now need to receive the free stuff....
So the people paying hate the people receiving because they have to pay. The people receiving hate the people who pay because they can no longer afford to pay. And NOBODY has figured out that the only ones you need to hate are the middle ground people that are telling you to hate each other while they give up nothing?
:laughings:Wow that was a lot of words to say the bleeding heart POS politicians wanna give the "boo hoo, I can't work" lazy ass parasites of our communities free homes, phones, food n booze and tax the working class folks even more to pay for it... Sounds reasonable :unsure: ...WTF? It's a whack world and it's getting whackier by the minute.

I often enjoy and agree with ol Lefty Lefsetz when he speaks of his perspective on the music industry and keeps his political views out of it...Then there's times like this where he is so blinded by his own Leftistness that he concocts a spin on why Oliver Anthony is a joke. political? Nah :laughings: OK maybe his opinion is skewed a smidge...

1692749749050.png

Where this dude is from crazy

I live here. I lived in the town next to Appalachia Virginia for over two years. I still live in the same area. What did one think would happen when the coal industry went bust? The area is slowly recovering and it is not near as bad as these videos would lead one to believe. Don't forget, this guy is making these videos and making money off them, that is his main agenda. Coal miners were offered the opportunity and money to learn new skills. They believed Trump would save them and most took no advantage of what was offered.

Yeah, they were told to "Learn to code, lol". When economic conditions became such that so called journalists and such were being laid off, folks who gave them the same advice "learn to code" were being banned on social media. Odd how opportunity for one became insult & ridicule for another.

So 34 million views in 2 weeks...loser

So the first time I watched this I was just kind of captured in the moment and had no idea it had 20 million views...a friend had posted it of FB in a twitter format..saw it there then went to Youtube to see who this cat was....That's when I saw the 20 million views in 9 days thing.

Now I am trying to figure out how he produced this recording....
What mic is he using?
The guitar is a Gretsch G9220 Bobtail Resonator that cost @ $650
What was the audio recorded on?
What kind of cameras? It is a multi camera shoot. iPhones?
Who did the video editing? What did they use?
Was it mastered before it was released? It sounds like it was If yes, who what where?

Re-watching this it is a really cool song presented as a grass roots, working class Virginia hillbilly just doing his thing.
Thing is this was very well produced. You know how Finneas gives us a tour of his bedroom studio... I am hoping we can get a peek into how this was produced. The audio is way clean....
The vocal has a nice solid reverb on it but I am not hearing the same amount of reverb on the guitar ..How dey do dat? ... maybe it is live...maybe it's memorex watchyall think?

Note at 1:40 "keep kicking them down" the audio is way off sync with the video...bad edit? Probably...maybe?

I was trying to believe, when I heard the verb and was thinking the echo from him being on a PA in maybe a valley and the guitar isn't? I didn't look too close as I didn't want to see the man behind the curtain.

From my understanding he's from Farmville, Virginia....
We drove through the area last June on our way to our Va house to get it ready for sale. Spent night in Roanoke then drove to Richmond. It's a beautiful drive. Up through Appomattox, Buckingham, Dillwyn, etc. The whole ride I'm like, We could retire here... how 'bout here. No wait, here. My wife got tired of me quickly. lol

Last edited:
We drove through the area last June on our way to our Va house to get it ready for sale. Spent night in Roanoke then drove to Richmond. It's a beautiful drive. Up through Appomattox, Buckingham, Dillwyn, etc. The whole ride I'm like, We could retire here... how 'bout here. No wait, here. My wife got tired of me quickly. lol
LOL back before grandkids we had visions of blowing out of Cali to somewhere less lefty and more affordable.....Grandkids happen...game changer...a true bonus round but we aren't going anywhere that will cheat us out of missing out and watching them grow and hanging with them till they don't want to hang...

If you ever travel to Virginia again...you should drive the 120 mile length of Skyline Drive. Awesome views of lower lying terrain. I've driven the length of the Skyline Drive more than once. The speed limit is 35 mph, well intended speed limit for drivers to slowly drive through and take in the breath taking views. But, be aware, all of sudden some asshole passes you on the left of the two lane road at twice your speed into on coming traffic, nearly causing a tragic accident of the head on type of collisions that usually result in someone losing their life needlessly. There's but one stop off, restaurant type of place, halfway. I had taken note of the two recklessly driven vehicles that had sped by me. Sure enough, there they were parked in that parking lot. I stopped long enough to empty my bladder, my only regret being, as I drove away, was that I didn't have 8 Japanese stars to place adjacent to the tires of their vehicles.

If you ever travel to Virginia again...you should drive the 120 mile length of Skyline Drive. Awesome views of lower lying terrain. I've driven the length of the Skyline Drive more than once. The speed limit is 35 mph, well intended speed limit for drivers to slowly drive through and take in the breath taking views. But, be aware, all of sudden some asshole passes you on the left of the two lane road at twice your speed into on coming traffic, nearly causing a tragic accident of the head on type of collisions that usually result in someone losing their life needlessly. There's but one stop off, restaurant type of place, halfway. I had taken note of the two recklessly driven vehicles that had sped by me. Sure enough, there they were parked in that parking lot. I stopped long enough to empty my bladder, my only regret being, as I drove away, was that I didn't have 8 Japanese stars to place adjacent to the tires of their vehicles.
Yes, I’ve done that drive. Breathtaking indeed, especially in the fall.

Back