So like

We elected a Prime Minister out of fear of "the other", and he was a brawler and bruiser and an angry man before he was elected, but we elected him anyway because of "the other" - and I remember hearing people saying "He'll get more Prime Ministerial - he'll grow into the role..." He didn't. He lasted two years.

Hope you have better luck with your guy. I've always thought he was just playing for the win and had no idea what to do afterwards, and also that he'd live longer if he didn't win. Somewhere out there, someone's thinking it...

Still, it'd put him amongst the immortals.

How's Mt Rushmore these days? Room for another addition?:D

Sunlight is the best disinfectant, as they say. Somebody probably should have told Hillary. Years and years of secrecy, lies, and undercover illegalities ultimately dashed her ambition to become POTUS. So we get a brash egotist who can't help but to spout off the first thing that enters into his adolescent like mind. meh. As sunlight and disinfectants go, maybe we got the right one.

Life goes on.

I am digging the protests from the party of tolerance and inclusiveness. Violence from the anti-war crowd is always entertaining.

Refresh my memory, we're there protests in the major cities after the last two elections?

I am digging the protests from the party of tolerance and inclusiveness. Violence from the anti-war crowd is always entertaining.

Refresh my memory, we're there protests in the major cities after the last two elections?

theyre violent? theyre pretty peaceful here in Philly (Ive turned cable news off)

Americans never seem to protest enough, we'd protest the time of day in Europe lol

theyre violent? theyre pretty peaceful here in Philly (Ive turned cable news off)

Americans never seem to protest enough, we'd protest the time of day in Europe lol

The protesters blocked the main thoroughfare in and out of Hollywood last night for two hours. Not violent per se but not helpful at all either.

Across the country, there were several arrests for burning effigies, vandalism, etc... There was at least one city that had to employ tear gas to handle the situation.

I admit, I turned it off pretty quickly. It just seemed like a bunch of bratty kids angry that they didn't get their way.

It is a common thing, that when you hang out in a community of like minded people, you can get the impression that the entire world thinks like you do. When in fact, it's only the people in your world (and other ones similar) that actually do.

It's the same thing with music. I was a metal head. I hung out in metal clubs, was in metal bands, and everyone I knew that was around my age was into metal (parents and other "old people" don't count).

But once I got away from that crowd, I realized that I was part of a small minority that had that frame of reference.

I think the same is true for politics. If you look at the county maps of how people voted, a lot of the time, you will see that the counties with major cities vote Democrat and the more rural counties vote Republican.

Here in Nevada, the state ended up Democrat, but only two counties voted that way...the ones that had reno and Vegas in them. The other couple dozen counties were all red.

I wonder why city dwellers tend to vote the opposite of country dwellers.

Yeah, unfortunately there has been a bit of violence. I've seen a few vids of youths blocking the road and trying to run down white drivers and pull them from their cars.

If a group of people is physically attempting to pull you from your car and do who knows what to you, is it within your right of self-defense to run them over, intentionally or otherwise?

It just seemed like a bunch of bratty kids angry that they didn't get their way.

Exactly.

It's the "womb-to-the-tomb"and "need-to-be-coddled" generation.

If they don't get their way...they feel it's someone's fault, and they need to assign blame, rather than take on responsibility...though I'm sure they think that violently protesting a democratic election outcome is an act of "responsibility".

Growing up isn't the same thing is use to be.

I always thought that it was because cities tend to rely on government services more than rural towns do (public transport, etc...) that the idea of government taking care of things for you is more natural to city dwellers.

But I suppose the "big government = Democrats" and "small government = Republicans " is probably an old and outdated description.

I'd guess due to colleges and fresh-outs. Younger crowds think they are going to change the world with their vote.

Much more to it than that. For starters, when people are forced to live elbow to elbow in a city they tend to view their relationships with their neighbors slightly different. Add to that the usual diversity of people living in the city (ie - immigrants) and you tend to have people with a wide world view who would lean toward progressive ideologies, versus say more 'traditional' views of things.

This article crunches numbers on the topic if you're into such things:

What Is It Exactly That Makes Big Cities Vote Democratic? - CityLab

I always thought that it was because cities tend to rely on government services more than rural towns do (public transport, etc...) that the idea of government taking care of things for you is more natural to city dwellers.

But I suppose the "big government = Democrats" and "small government = Republicans " is probably an old and outdated description.

That's definitely a factor as well. When you see something in action everyday you tend to place value on it. People in a city cannot escape the impact government has on their lives, they understand that it provides them critical services. People in a small town on the plains much less so. Government's role is also much larger in a city than in a rural situation.

I find a lot of rural american opinion and policy revolves around things they don't have exposure to. They tend to frown on immigrants being allowed, they don't value government and often wish for a world without any, and they don't feel human rights issues are as important because they often don't have someone in their social network who might be impacted/marginalized.

That's definitely a factor as well. When you see something in action everyday you tend to place value on it. People in a city cannot escape the impact government has on their lives, they understand that it provides them critical services. People in a small town on the plains much less so. Government's role is also much larger in a city than in a rural situation.

I find a lot of rural american opinion and policy revolves around things they don't have exposure to. They tend to frown on immigrants being allowed, they don't value government and often wish for a world without any, and they don't feel human rights issues are as important because they often don't have someone in their social network who might be impacted/marginalized.
I do get a lot of that. But the services that city dwellers receive are from city government (for the most part), not necessarily the federal government. Rural dwellers tend to be affected more from federal governmental things that state or local. And most of the governmental things that affect them are things that get in the way and make their life harder.

Also, if we are talking farmers, in certain places they rely on immigrant labor to run their farm, so that doesn't make much sense.

I think that rural might not be the best way to describe some of these areas. In most states that I saw, the near suburbs of the major cities were in different counties and still voted republican. It isn't just farmers, country hicks, and weirdos living in cabins on a mountain. There is plenty of diversity in the sticks, otherwise there would be no community theater outside of the cities (that's a joke).

However, the minorities that live outside of the cities might be a little farther up the socio-economic ladder, and therefore might have a different opinion on how things should be.

The gay marriage thing is purely a religious issue. City dwellers might not be a superstitious...(another joke)

You know I remember one report during rioting in France where it said that 150 cars were torched over the weekend. I looked up figures there and it turns out on an average weekend 80 cars are torched anyway lol.

These dont look like much of anything, Id imagine if he'd lost there would be far worse. Certainly more evidence of hate crime stuff appearing on social media...but like the French riots theres likely plenty of hate shit going on here every night anyway :)

Yeah, unfortunately there has been a bit of violence. I've seen a few vids of youths blocking the road and trying to run down white drivers and pull them from their cars.

If a group of people is physically attempting to pull you from your car and do who knows what to you, is it within your right of self-defense to run them over, intentionally or otherwise?

I think you were accidentally watching that documentary on the LA riots on Netflix
:D

Relying on government services is paid for by the people who live in the cities, its not free, its not taking care of things its to stop roads being completely blocked by one person in an suv at a time etc. We even pay a separate City of Philadelphia tax even though we live ten miles outside. Thats not to pay some poor families cable bill, its too ensure that theres a train stopping at my station every half hour ;)

Back