Hooking up effects I need some advice

bachelorb

Cowboy Chord Virtuoso
I was looking at different ways of hooking up the two effects I have (compressor and reverb) up to my mixer board. I was looking at looping them (aux out-compressor-reverb-effect in). But I also have two aux outs available. Would it be better to put each effect on its own aux out (aux out-compressor-effect in), (aux out-reverb-effect in) ? I'm thinking doing it the second way might muddle up the effects?????

Thanks

I would use the reverb on the aux send.
This way more than one track can share the effect.
I would put the compressor on an insert.

Yeah you don't usually put a dynamics processor on a send effect loop...usually dedicate the compressor to one source using an insert. Can explain further if it would be helpful.

I think I get it.... you really want to compress each channel differently right? Voice might need more than guitar etc.....

Exactly. Besides you only have one mono comp.
Whereas a reverb you can have various elements of the mix running through it.
Then you bring the reverberated signal back through either a dedicated return or even better a seperate channel on the mixer. (Or channels if you have a stereo verb.)

Most often I'll run into the mono input of the reverb and bring it back to the mixer on a pair of faders in stereo. You can now eq and pan just the verb as you see fit.

Yes, typically one comp for a channel. The next option is a compressor for a sub mix -all the vocals for example, or the main mix. In those cases it works out best if everything in fairly well balanced. But if one thing is significantly louder than the others, it will tend to be the one that drives the compressor.

That's a good explanation ^^^^. Not that you would do this, but think of what a compressor would do if you compressed a sum of a kick drum track and a vocal track...the compressor is a peak-sensing amplitude attenuator. It's going to act on the kick drum peaks and, depending on how you have the attack and release set, will duck the amplitude of the vocals right along with the kick drum every time it thumps.

What they said. Compressor on an insert. Most stereo compressors can be dual mono and compress two mono channels. Reverb on a post fader aux send, return to channels for best control, to aux return if channels aren't available.

There are some other "special" uses of compression and reverb, but the above is the usual.

Yeah^^^
With compression it's generally individual sources.
The beauty of a stereo comp is the ability to go dual mono, in essence giving you two compressors for the price of one.
The only time to use it in stereo would be for a stereo source, mainly the stereo out buss, lighty applied to control your final mix transients.

Alright.... I get it!! and I really appreciate the help....

Here's the way I was going to set up my mixer (many many thanks to Famous Beagle for taking the time to help me on this)

this picture might be a little bigger..... https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/analog-recording-and-mixing-tape-and-gear/going-mobile-project-391519/5/#post4424767

When tracking:
1. Run the track outs of the Tascam 234 (tracks 1-4) into the 5/6 and 7/8 inputs on the mixer for playback. This will give you basic monitoring control while tracking
2. Plug your instrument or mic into channel 1, 2, 3, or 4.
3. For recording on tracks 1-4: The inserts would feed inputs 1-4 on the 234, respectively.

When mixing down:
1. Run the track outputs of the 234 into Channels 1-4 on the mixer.
2. Run Aux send 1 to the input of your FX processor.
3. Run the stereo outputs of your FX processor to inputs 5/6 of your mixer. This will allow you to EQ the effect.
4. If you have a second FX processor, you can do the same with Aux send 2 and inputs 7/8.

So the sample signal path for track 1, for example, would be:

Mic/instrument --> CH 1 mixer ---> out the insert ---> Track 1 on the 234 ---> out Track 1 output ---> CH 5 mixer

So for mixdown, I should probably repatch whichever instrument or voice I am going to compress to channel 1,2,3 or 4 so I can use the insert, right???

Tape Track 1 output --->CH1 mixer-----> out the insert---> compressor---> into insert----> stereo out---> mixdown recorder

If I get really brave and I want to compress while tracking, I'd go:

Mic/instrument --> CH 1 mixer ---> out the insert --->compressor---> into insert-----> Aux 1 output---> Track 1 on the 234 ---> out Track 1 output ---> CH 5 mixer????

Last edited:
Inserts are bidirectional, send and return. You use a specific insert cable that has TRS on one end which is split out to a pair of TS on the other end. The post-preamp signal is sent out of the mixer on one TS into the processor (compressor in this case) and returned on the other TS back to the normal channel path. From there the routing of the channel is the same as what you normally do. Depending on the mixer the insert may be tip-send, ring-return, or it may be ring-send, tip-return.

The inserts for each channel are TRS insert/return jacks. The effect returns are not.

My thinking is on the reverb I would be going:

Aux out----> Reverb ----Effects Return

I'm a little short on cables right now to be trying all these things. I'm trying to figure out what to order......

Oh okay I didn't see "insert" jacks anywhere on the pics I was looking at online. I hate it when I don't have a manual for a piece of gear to refer to.

Hey another thing I was going to mention regarding the interfacing of the M-08 and the 234, for cue monitoring during overdubs you could hook the CUE out jacks of the 234 to the TAPE input of the M-08. The 234 has an onboard 4x2 cue mixer. It would allow you to setup CUE mixes on the 234 without changing settings on the M-08.

Just an idea. Unfortunately with no direct outs, program groups or switchable line/mic input sourcing the M-08 isn't necessarily ideal for multi tracking. I don't want you to regret purchasing it or cause you to question and go hunting, but for small mixer offerings from Tascam the M-106 for 4 track recording.

The mixer you have can be made to work.

For me though, this is my preferred set up with any rack mount cassette.

Get twice the mixer channels than you have tape tracks.

For a 4 track, 8. For an 8 track 16.

With this setup you can have channels 1 thru 4 set up for tracking. Channels 5 thru 8 are for monitoring what's already been recorded.
Come mixdown time, your tracking channels (1 thru 4) can now be used for effects returns, additional sources such as audio from a midi source, etc.

Personally, I'd prefer a 16 channel mixer. There are bunches of good affordable ones that will fit in a standard 19 inch rack space.
Besides, should you want to go 8 track, you're already set up.

Anyway, I'll shut up. I've already caused you enough trouble.

:D

Last edited:
+1 to what RFR said. The M-08 will work just fine. I don't want to discourage you. And that is exactly how I would use it: channels 1-4 for sources, channels 5-8 as tape returns, and then I'd put Y cables on the master outputs, L to 234 inputs 1&3, R to 234 inputs 2&4. It's unfortunate you don't have a mono summing function on the headphone circuit. But it can totally work, and it's nice it has those 4 effect returns and phantom power.

I'd put Y cables on the master outputs, L to 234 inputs 1&3, R to 234 inputs 2&4.

That is a good idea!!!!

Anyway, I'll shut up. I've already caused you enough trouble.

YES YOU HAVE!!!!! :D

......see...... you guys don't look at the important specs on a mixer. You know..... like.... Will it still fit under the edge of the bed with 90 degree connectors on it... and can it hold my reading glasses and iPad when it's time for bed..... geeeesh.....

Three things I really liked about this one... All the inputs and outputs were on the top, Phantom power for my condenser mic, and light weight so we can move it.

I think this thing will be way more advanced than I am for a while........

Brad, thanks for the reminder we each have individual needs...your situation is unique and it sounds like you are pleased with your well-suited purchase. I'll stop projecting my preferences on you and instead focus on helping you get the most out of your setup. :) ;)

Get twice the mixer channels than you have tape tracks.

For a 4 track, 8. For an 8 track 16.

With this setup you can have channels 1 thru 4 set up for tracking. Channels 5 thru 8 are for monitoring what's already been recorded.
Come mixdown time, your tracking channels (1 thru 4) can now be used for effects returns, additional sources such as audio from a midi source, etc.

THAT is the only thing that bugs me about this mixer!!! Because only channels 1-4 have an insert, my mixdown has to be something like channels4-7 and tracking is 1,2,3, and 8 so I can use my compressor..... Throws off the whole Feng shui thingy...... not to mention my extememly ordered and organized life..... :wtf:

I'll stop projecting my preferences on you and instead focus on helping you get the most out of your setup.

Don't do that!! I enjoy finding the answer to questions like "What the hell is a mono summing function on the headphone circuit?"

Back