The New Tone Thread

Haha looks funny, that little amp on top of those cabs. Looks more "EVH" though. They shoulda done that at the factory.

And of course, no hillbilly pic is complete without a Mountain Dew. :D

Lol....yeah dude, I had to get the Dew in the pic...If I drank beer like Dew, I'd be a raging alcoholic.....

Any yeah, the little amp looks funny on the cabs, but I still like it a lot...It's cool on my desk, I don't have to go back/forth tweaking the amp...

On the paint job, I may do some more to it, or re-do the cage part. The blue just doesn't "pop" like I thought it would, I need a lighter shade....I might re-paint the stripe thingy, mask of what I wanna keep red & do some of the stripes white...

Here's where I got the idea, but this is too much red IMO, especially painting the grill cloth on the cab:

Jesus Christ. You'd think someone that much a fanboy would get the proper EVH amp - 68 Plexi and a variac.

Those EVH amps are nice, but they don't sound "Eddie" at all.

Jesus Christ. You'd think someone that much a fanboy would get the proper EVH amp - 68 Plexi and a variac.

Yeah man, what I did to my amp is a bit much, but that amp/cab/pedalboard is just stupid. IMO he'd better have the chops to back up his message he sends with his gear....

I think I'll just re-paint mine black now.....:laughings:

^^^^^
Bingo!

The EVH amp is a reverse engineered Soldano.
Mike built him two heads. One went to Peavy at the time of his Peavy Endorsement.
It was promptly dissected and voila! The signature 'Eddie Head'! It's really just a cheaply made Soldano Copy. I'm not saying it's not a good amp in its own right, just pointing out the origins.
The only manufacturer that was authorized by Mike to make a Soldano clone was Yamaha.
However with Eddie and Peavey's agressive high profile mktg campaign, the 5150 lives on and the Yamaha is forgotten.

But the 'Brown Sound' was neither. It was the Plexi.

Yahoo Mount'n Dew!
the red makes it look like it should from my little knowledge of the band.
JDOD,
that's coming along really well. It does need the precise aggression that Greg described so get your programming pants on!

OK, so the punk rhythm guitars hard panned, the reggae guitars are panned 70/70.

So, how do I automate the volume between these two

There are a couple of ways of going about it. For me, the easiest would be to add the clean guitars to a folder and add the distorted rhythm guitars to another folder. Then you can automate volume of each folder instead of having to individually automate each guitar track.

There are a couple of ways of going about it. For me, the easiest would be to add the clean guitars to a folder and add the distorted rhythm guitars to another folder. Then you can automate volume of each folder instead of having to individually automate each guitar track.

Yeah, that's no problem - but how do you to the automation bit?

Yeah, that's no problem - but how do you to the automation bit?

Oh that!

I tried looking through The Reaper Blog's channel on YT but apparently he never went over the basics of automation...he just went straight to the hard stuff.

This one should at least get you started:

Awesome cheers. Will check that out in a bit
Can't believe I had no idea about any of that.

Last edited:

Good advice Tad, much easier that way opposed to an automation lane/track for each guitar, it can get quite tedious & messy when you have lots of tracks along with lots of automation for 'em...

I use fx automation on my guitar tracks like a stompbox setup, you can basically control anything, bypass, wet/dry, even the effect parameters themselves (IE: change the speed of a tremolo from fast to slow in different parts)...

Shift+left click inserts a single point JDOD, & Ctrl+left click lets you draw, but I usually use the single points here/there as my needs are really pretty simple....

Damn I must be missing out. I don't automate anything. I've automated pan or reverb for an effect, but never for level control.

Damn I must be missing out. I don't automate anything. I've automated pan or reverb for an effect, but never for level control.

I've had a bit of a play with it now. There's a few places where it's gonna be useful but I do think it's mostly turd polish... At least for the music I play.

I think it'll be easier to just re-track stuff and play a bit better!

It's probably go a load of applications if you're into more complex stuff though.

I've started using automation a little more, mainly for turning stuff up/down for choruses or solos. Every once in a while I'll get ambitious and do some special effect type stuff, or turn up a reverb send at the same time as turning down a track volume, or engaging a lo-pass filter to put something in the background. It's easy to get way too fancy-pants and end up with something cheesy, but it's all good practice anyways. You can always mute or delete the automation lane if you get carried away.

This one came together fairly quickly today - the kind of guitar solo at end sounds a bit like Greg Sage.

View attachment 97538

I like this a LOT more with the cleaner guitars in the ska section. Sure, there's some leveling and/or automation to be done, but the tone just suits the part so much better than the furry fuzzy one from last time. The lead tone needs something, but I can't put my finger on it. There's nothing wrong with it, but it seems like it could benefit from a little attitude of some sort. It just seems...polite. Maybe you need to sit down with the soloist and tell him something awful about his mother, whether it's true or not :laughings:

Ok guys, just gonna throw this up for shits-n-giggles....

Something More

Lemme know what you guys think of this....

I continue to be amazed by your low volume tones. They don't have that aggressive snarl of a blasting loud amp, but they breathe very well for being bedroom levels. I think that you may have found a kindred spirit in that EVH amp.

I like the wah/delay lead fills. Drums sound amazing. And is that you singing?!? You should do that more often. A few spots could use some polishing or re-tracking, but this is terrific overall. This is focused, and sounds like exactly the product of the few things that I know about your influences and tastes. The tone, the structure, the overall feel...this just seems like a Minerman song :)

Well done dude! Now, do it again! And again!

I like this a LOT more with the cleaner guitars in the ska section. Sure, there's some leveling and/or automation to be done, but the tone just suits the part so much better than the furry fuzzy one from last time. The lead tone needs something, but I can't put my finger on it. There's nothing wrong with it, but it seems like it could benefit from a little attitude of some sort. It just seems...polite. Maybe you need to sit down with the soloist and tell him something awful about his mother, whether it's true or not :laughings:

I'll just retrack with some compression on the clean guitars to clear up the dynamics, should be much easier to volume match the parts that way.

Yeah, the lead is a little boring sounded, don't know why

Back