The New Tone Thread

Haha! Yeah I have trouble keeping track of this thing too.
:D

I think the key is to be on top of it and check the thread every day. Forget the notifications.

I'm getting the GAS itch to build an amp again. Last year I was really close to buying a Plexi 1987 kit. But then a Marshall 1987x fell right into my lap for a stupidly stupid cheap price so I bought that instead. I really like that amp. So....

I'm looking to go even "older" in a build. I want to do an early Bassman circuit, or maybe even better, the Marshall version JTM45.

I'm getting the GAS itch to build an amp again. Last year I was really close to buying a Plexi 1987 kit. But then a Marshall 1987x fell right into my lap for a stupidly stupid cheap price so I bought that instead. I really like that amp. So....

I'm looking to go even "older" in a build. I want to do an early Bassman circuit, or maybe even better, the Marshall version JTM45.
What about this thing?
Amp Maker: Guitar amp kits and parts :: Guitar amp kits :: PP-36 18-36W plexi amplifier

OK, here's a revised riff which is far closer to what my original vision of it was - much less widdly. I'll need to get rid of it when I get back to my amp - this tone is using fucking GearBox! This riff is also going evolve into a longer, slower, more feedbacky solo - so even more Greg Sagey

View attachment 97558

Greg, I've updated the drums too as per your recommendation
Sounds great. Lead tone is better than previously and the rhythm tones are excellent. :)

Guitar is startlingly vile. :D

5d77_1.jpg

OK, here's a revised riff which is far closer to what my original vision of it was - much less widdly. I'll need to get rid of it when I get back to my amp - this tone is using fucking GearBox! This riff is also going evolve into a longer, slower, more feedbacky solo - so even more Greg Sagey

View attachment 97558

Greg, I've updated the drums too as per your recommendation

Damn I didn't even see this until Bubba just responded to it. Sorry J.

Yeah drums are better. Those fast closed hats really propel that section. The new lead line is okay to me, but that tone is terrible!

Damn I didn't even see this until Bubba just responded to it. Sorry J.

Yeah drums are better. Those fast closed hats really propel that section. The new lead line is okay to me, but that tone is terrible!

Cheers, I was surprised Bubba said that he liked the tone too! Its supposed to be a Marshall! Its Line6's interpretation of a TS in front of a marshall from about 10 years ago.

Lead lines like that are easy to write - scrubbing the previous idea from your mind in between ideas is the hard bit!

There's the problem!

Saying that, I don't know what it is with Marshalls, sims or otherwise, but they sound shit when I play through them - to my ears anyway. I hear other people playing through Marshalls all the time and they sound great. I've tested a few different Marshalls and they all sound crap to me.

I tried a DSL15, a DSL40 and another one, I think it was a CODE modelling amp. I've heard all of these amps sound fucking great - just not when I was playing. I've also heard people do great stuff with the Marshall sim in Amplitube. It also sounds crap when I use it.

Lol. I don't know what to tell you about that. Maybe you just don't like Marshalls. You're influenced by an era of music that was very un-Marshall.

Yeah, they sound great when you, Miner and Bubba use them!

Ah, well then clearly the problem is YOU! :D

I actually know quite a few Marshall-sound lovers that don't use Marshalls. They all lament that they're not quite happy with their own tones, but the answer is right in front of their damn faces - get a fucking Marshall. I was there too a while back, looking for Marshall sound in little amps. It didn't work.

Back