The New Tone Thread

No, I titled it "Cover Your Ass". I even had a pic taken of me naked in a bed holding a guitar all sexy like some cheesy 80s Whitesnake thing with only a sliver of blanket over my butt. :laughings:

It was fittingly disturbing.

LOL! That's brilliant! Have you still got the pic?

One of the first things I remember about this forum was finding your old Soundclick page, with a shit-load of covers on it Greg. "Deuce" I remember was there, "The Boys Are Back In Town" & a bunch more. I asked you how you got those guitar tones and you told me on those songs you'd used Guitar Rig....This was like 2009 & I was totally green about recording. I'd just started & was using a Zoom HD8, but looking to move over to the pc because the ampsims & drum sounds on that hdd recorder sucked terribly....

Dig 'em up & post 'em dude....

One of the first things I remember about this forum was finding your old Soundclick page, with a shit-load of covers on it Greg. "Deuce" I remember was there, "The Boys Are Back In Town" & a bunch more. I asked you how you got those guitar tones and you told me on those songs you'd used Guitar Rig....This was like 2009 & I was totally green about recording. I'd just started & was using a Zoom HD8, but looking to move over to the pc because the ampsims & drum sounds on that hdd recorder sucked terribly....

Dig 'em up & post 'em dude....

Lol. Jeez I forgot I did those songs. I liked Deuce. Boys are Back was terrible. No, I don't think I used guitar rig on those. Those were done way before I even knew what guitar rig was. Maybe like 2005/2006? I did use guitar rig on covers sometimes a little later because I didn't feel like hauling my shit to the practice space to record amps just for a cover. By 2009 I was definitely back to using real amps exclusively. I liked using guitar rig though. I thought it was neat. I learned a lot from it. Like, how real amps and fake amps differ in huge ways. I used real amps all my life, then had some fun with sims, then went back to the real thing. The better, but harder, option wins again. Anyway, I don't think I have anything from that time period anymore. I had a computer meltdown a while back and all that stuff went bye-bye. It wasn't any good anyway. :laughings:

No, I titled it "Cover Your Ass". I even had a pic taken of me naked in a bed holding a guitar all sexy like some cheesy 80s Whitesnake thing with only a sliver of blanket over my butt. :laughings:

It was fittingly disturbing.

Hahaha, that sounds awesome. And the cover photo, that's hilarious. As long as someone doesn't make it weird.

Have you still got the pic?

You just made it weird.

Lol. Jeez I forgot I did those songs. I liked Deuce. Boys are Back was terrible. No, I don't think I used guitar rig on those. Those were done way before I even knew what guitar rig was. Maybe like 2005/2006? I did use guitar rig on covers sometimes a little later because I didn't feel like hauling my shit to the practice space to record amps just for a cover. By 2009 I was definitely back to using real amps exclusively. I liked using guitar rig though. I thought it was neat. I learned a lot from it. Like, how real amps and fake amps differ in huge ways. I used real amps all my life, then had some fun with sims, then went back to the real thing. The better, but harder, option wins again. Anyway, I don't think I have anything from that time period anymore. I had a computer meltdown a while back and all that stuff went bye-bye. It wasn't any good anyway. :laughings:

I dunno when you recorded those songs dude, but I do specifically remember asking about the guitar tones, & you did tell me GR...Maybe those songs had just been recorded a long time before I found 'em, no idea, but at the time, I thought they were just great. I thought they were the best fuckin' thing since sliced bread because they gave me hope about using ampsims...

A big reason I wanna hear 'em now is because I've learned just a little since then, but if they're gone, they're gone....

I dunno when you recorded those songs dude, but I do specifically remember asking about the guitar tones, & you did tell me GR...Maybe those songs had just been recorded a long time before I found 'em, no idea, but at the time, I thought they were just great. I thought they were the best fuckin' thing since sliced bread because they gave me hope about using ampsims...

A big reason I wanna hear 'em now is because I've learned just a little since then, but if they're gone, they're gone....

Yeah I don't know what we were talking about or even when I did what. I might have it all backwards. I've recorded like billions of songs different ways. Lol. I do actually remember tracking Deuce though, and it wasn't a sim. I remember the amp was a split-channel JCM 800 2205. I had access to that amp around 2006. I remember it because I remember trying to do Ace's outro lead like 5 million times and my ears were dying. I didn't think to just turn down to learn it. I learned it at max volume like I do everything else. :facepalm:

Boys are Back in Town maybe could've been a sim. God only knows what else you heard. I haven't even looked at my Soundclick page in about 5 or 6 years. It may not even exist anymore.

---------- Update ----------

Lol.....Jdude's wanting to look at Gerg's ass....:)

He thinks my ass is a Nickelback CD!

Ok, here's you guys some shitty DSL tones...Nothing special, I just worked the lead parts out best I could, then re-tracked 'em at a decent volume...I have posted clips of this song before, but those were basically scratch guitar parts recorded at low volume with the mic pre-amp cranked up(not that these are any better...:laughings:)...

SG > DSL > '65 > i5

DSL:
100 w mode
OD 2
Mid-shift: On
Resonance: 0
Presence: 5
Bass: 6
Mid: 10
Treble: 2
Volume: 5
Gain: 4

SG>DSL>DRY

SG>DSL>FX

SOLO SG>DSL>DRY

SOLO SG>DSL>FX

SOLO SG>DSL>MIX

Some of these clips have effects on 'em, but no other daw trickery...And, the fx sound over the top/too much on their own/solo'd, but in a mix, I think they make a huge difference myself...

Ha it's amazing how that super long delay sounds so weird on it's own but great in that kind of mix. Well done.

Yeah, I'm learning dude...That's actually a little reverse delay I used on that which seemed to work pretty good....

And, here's a return e-mail from Nik about the loop/800 clone:

James

Thanks.

It's a passive loop aka interrupt style loop. If you don’t plug anything into it, it becomes a totally stock amp with nothing added at all.

If you use it, then depends on your pedal. It's on line levels. If you pedal isn’t designed for such, then you'd need a buffer of sort.

As for the amp, it should be very close to a real one. Ignore the loop, ie don’t use it, then it's pretty much stock.

Hope this helps, let me know..

Thanks!

nik

That's great! Sounds like a winner. Hell, besides the old iron in original 2204s, that amp might be better than a real one.

That's great! Sounds like a winner. Hell, besides the old iron in original 2204s, that amp might be better than a real one.

Well dude, I'd rather have a real one to be able to say (with my chest all puffed out :laughings:) "it's real", but on the side of that coin, we're talking about a 30+ year old amp, which may last forever, but then again, may take a shit on me (a new one could too, but just sayin'...)...So I'm leaning toward a clone like this because it'll basically be a new amp & should last me a lifetime...

Another thing is the price. I know I could shop around & find a real one for about the same $$$, but these are there all day, everyday...

The biggie for me is the reliability thing, again, I probably wouldn't have any issues from a real 2204, but I honestly don't wanna chance it...Call me paranoid or whatever, but $1,100 is a big chunk of change for me...

Oh yeah, 20 more days & I'll be buying the Chupa back...I'm actually as excited about getting that amp back as I would be getting an 800 or anything else to be honest. I've missed that thing, a lot, & it just seems every time I plugged into anything since then I've said to myself "the fuckin' Chupa would kill on this"...
Seems like the days have slowed to a fuckin' crawl lately though....:facepalm:

I'm gonna try to get an attenuator at the same time I get the Chupa back, but I kinda doubt if I'll be able to swing it this time though...Weber Mass 200 is most likely what I'll go for there. I know some of the others are supposed to be great for recording too (Rivera, Torpedo, Fryette), but those are fuckin' expensive as hell IMO. I really just want one to knock down a few db's off whatever amp I'd be using...

Greg, I've just posted a complete remix of an old song in the Clinic. Can you take a listen. You know the song already. Its gonna be my last mix that I'm gonna do before working on the vocals.

we were talking about slide a bit back and now miner has used some reverse delay which I'm currently finding very interesting in how it can give you the 'atmospheric' feeling of echo without actually sounding like echos.

Here's a couple of sections of something I'm working on where I'll be using slide as part of the bed ..... there will be vocals and/or orchestral stuff going on over this.
The slide is probably a bit hotter than it will be in the mix because I just did it and am dialing in the reverse delay so I want to hear it well.

Of course ..... once everything's there, who knows?
For that matter who knows if I'll ever even fool with it again? It's a strange world .......... :D

also .... not any kind of music that you will like ..... just showing you the emo-slide

Attachments

• KAMPA _0722.mp3
    9 MB · Views: 18
Great tone and nice melodic playing, Bob. I've got a lap steel from the 60s that has a single coil pickup that is ferocious, sounds quite like that tone you've got going.

Back