The New Tone Thread

Fuck that. For 1400 you can get a real 800 that isn't dumbfucked all up with Kerry king nonsense.

The Rhoads amp, well that's different. Those are pretty cool IMO.

plus, to me, they're ugly ..... I particularly dislike the chrome faceplate ...... looks very unMarshally to me.

Fuck that. For 1400 you can get a real 800 that isn't dumbfucked all up with Kerry king nonsense.

The Rhoads amp, well that's different. Those are pretty cool IMO.

BTW I've tried three Jubes now. Not a huge sample size, but they all had the same characteristics I don't like.

Yeah man, that's a decent price for the KK amp, but if I was gonna plunk $1400 at something, it'd be a real 800...

The RR amp is a loud-mother-fucker from what I've heard guys say online (this is of course from the cork-sniffing places mentioned before), but that's a decent price for that amp IMO...I'm just not interested in it because the Chupa will get close enough to those kinda tones for me...

That's so weird about the Jubilee's you've tried man, I figured you'd like 'em for sure, just because they're so revered by a lot of people...

plus, to me, they're ugly ..... I particularly dislike the chrome faceplate ...... looks very unMarshally to me.

Yeah Bob, black & gold ftw dude....Even if I end up with yet another clone (my Chupa is a clone, but IMHO, it's great), I'll still get black/gold like it's supposed to be...:D

Ok, here's a screenshot of the e-mail Nik just sent:

Here's the link in the pic above, which shows a bunch of pics & info:

Ceriatone 2204

I asked him if what I read was a typo, & apparently he thought I was at the wrong web address, but it's the same: www.guitarampsusa.com...

So, apparently what the site I first linked has is what I'd get from the USA, it's just a typo about the input. I also asked him about an fx loop, & it's a stock feature....

Long story short, a Ceriatone 2204 would be $1027 total, shipped from Florida...Which is a couple hundred cheaper than any used Marshall I've saw...When the time comes, I guess it just depends on what's out there used vs. a new clone...

Yeah man, that's a decent price for the KK amp, but if I was gonna plunk $1400 at something, it'd be a real 800...

The RR amp is a loud-mother-fucker from what I've heard guys say online
It's loud because it's a NMV amp. A wide open 1959 circuit probably is pretty loud to the momma's basement crowd. :D

That's so weird about the Jubilee's you've tried man, I figured you'd like 'em for sure, just because they're so revered by a lot of people...
I wanted to like them, but I just don't. A bunch of hairband shredders liking an amp doesn't really mean a whole lot to me. :laughings:

Here's the link in the pic above, which shows a bunch of pics & info:

Ceriatone 2204

That one looks more like a normal 2204, but with effects loop and half power switch.

The half power switch may or may not effect the sound, but an effects loop very much can. Not that it will, but it can. Now I'm talking minuscule cork-sniffer type of difference, but if you're wanting a true-blue 2204, they didn't have effects loops. See if it's a true bypass loop.

It's loud because it's a NMV amp. A wide open 1959 circuit probably is pretty loud to the momma's basement crowd. :D

:)

I wanted to like them, but I just don't. A bunch of hairband shredders liking an amp doesn't really mean a whole lot to me. :laughings:

I hear ya man, just goes to show you can't listen to everybody's opinion online. Like that one guy who uses iPhones for his clips, & you can hear his strings as loud as the amp...The guy can definitely play, there's no doubt about it, but, that doesn't really show the tone of the amp....Shit like that....:laughings:

That one looks more like a normal 2204, but with effects loop and half power switch.

The half power switch may or may not effect the sound, but an effects loop very much can. Not that it will, but it can. Now I'm talking minuscule cork-sniffer type of difference, but if you're wanting a true-blue 2204, they didn't have effects loops. See if it's a true bypass loop.

I'll bombard Nik with a bunch of questions before it's over, especially if I'm gonna drop $1100 on an amp, you can bet your ass I'll pester the fuck out of him....:D

I hear ya man, just goes to show you can't listen to everybody's opinion online. Like that one guy who uses iPhones for his clips, & you can hear his strings as loud as the amp...The guy can definitely play, there's no doubt about it, but, that doesn't really show the tone of the amp....Shit like that....:laughings:
Oh man, that's one of my biggest pet peeves. If I can hear the pick hitting the strings, whatever amp you're trying to showcase is not loud enough. Total waste of bandwith and time.

Oh man, that's one of my biggest pet peeves. If I can hear the pick hitting the strings, whatever amp you're trying to showcase is not loud enough. Total waste of bandwith and time.

You'd have a stroke over at some of the forums I visit a lot dude...:laughings:A lot of those guys can really fuckin' play, I mean they play fuckin' circles around me, but what good is it if you don't get your 50/100w amp up past 0.5 while you're doing all that fancy shit???

There is a kid associated with the Marshall forum I admire a lot. He's like 16, his dad's the forum member. The kid's name is Matt Stanley. He's great to be so young, if he sticks with it, he'll be a bad-ass player in a few years. He's the lead player in the Ozzy tribute band I posted a week or so ago...

I'll post some tones tomorrow, I did a little lead work on a song today, so I'll throw up some of my shitty SG/DSL stuff tomorrow...:)

You'd have a stroke over at some of the forums I visit a lot dude...:laughings:A lot of those guys can really fuckin' play, I mean they play fuckin' circles around me, but what good is it if you don't get your 50/100w amp up past 0.5 while you're doing all that fancy shit???

There is a kid associated with the Marshall forum I admire a lot. He's like 16, his dad's the forum member. The kid's name is Matt Stanley. He's great to be so young, if he sticks with it, he'll be a bad-ass player in a few years. He's the lead player in the Ozzy tribute band I posted a week or so ago...
I don't know man, being a good player is cool and all, but I feel there are a lot of really good players totally wasting their talent in tribute/cover bands. It's a weird thing for me to try to wrap my head around. On one hand, yeah, I think those good players are wasting their talent playing Ozzy or Pantera covers and they deserve better. On the other hand, if those are the covers they choose to play, anything original they might do probably isn't gonna be anything I want to hear either. So I'm just whatever on good players in cover bands. Pretty meaningless to me.

I'll post some tones tomorrow, I did a little lead work on a song today, so I'll throw up some of my shitty SG/DSL stuff tomorrow...:)
Ha, you're stuff aint shitty at all.

Playing covers has never really interested me that much. I learned a load of songs by other people when I was a kid but then didn't actually learn to play anything for years and years. Only really since playing in a band last year have I started learning stuff again and I have found some value in it as it does add licks to your playing even when you're adlibbing and you pick up new techniques which you wouldn't pick up if you were adlibbing on your own. I don't really sit at home playing other peoples songs on my guitar, I generally just jam away and come up with ideas and things I think sound nice. I don't record covers that often either.

Playing covers has never really interested me that much. I learned a load of songs by other people when I was a kid but then didn't actually learn to play anything for years and years. Only really since playing in a band last year have I started learning stuff again and I have found some value in it as it does add licks to your playing even when you're adlibbing and you pick up new techniques which you wouldn't pick up if you were adlibbing on your own. I don't really sit at home playing other peoples songs on my guitar, I generally just jam away and come up with ideas and things I think sound nice. I don't record covers that often either.

I used to record tons of covers. I felt that covers were a better vehicle than originals to learn this digital recording mess. I didn't wanna waste originals on a learning process only to have to re-record them later. I still think covers are fun to record, and I love to take a respected classic song and completely bastardize it. I actually got hate PMs in the past from people pissed off that I'd dare ruin one of their favorite classics. That does make it all worthwhile. I'm just not interested in hauling gear to a venue to play them live. If there was a crowd for the covers I'd wanna play, maybe it'd be worthwhile.

I used to record tons of covers. I felt that covers were a better vehicle than originals to learn this digital recording mess. I didn't wanna waste originals on a learning process only to have to re-record them later. I still think covers are fun to record, and I love to take a respected classic song and completely bastardize it. I actually got hate PMs in the past from people pissed off that I'd dare ruin one of their favorite classics. That does make it all worthwhile. I'm just not interested in hauling gear to a venue to play them live. If there was a crowd for the covers I'd wanna play, maybe it'd be worthwhile.

Yeah, of the few covers I have recorded, I have enjoyed them. They've all come together really quickly too 'cos I've not given them too much thought - maybe I should do a couple more to improve my recording technique before carrying on with trying to make my own music sound how I want it.
What did you bastardise so much that you got hate PMs? It better not have been Pearl Jam!

I did a cover of The Curse of Millhaven by Nick Cave a few years ago. I wonder how that sounds. EDIT: Shit.

Yeah, of the few covers I have recorded, I have enjoyed them. They've all come together really quickly too 'cos I've not given them too much thought - maybe I should do a couple more to improve my recording technique before carrying on with trying to make my own music sound how I want it.
What did you bastardise so much that you got hate PMs? It better not have been Pearl Jam!

I did a cover of The Curse of Millhaven by Nick Cave a few years ago. I wonder how that sounds. EDIT: Shit.

Hah. Let me see if I can remember....

No Woman No Cry got some bad feelings
Sloop John B - I thought I did a pretty nice job. It didn't go over well with some people.
Hallelujah - I killed this song for some guy's weird little contest that I totally won by popular vote and never got my prize. He hated it.
Ziggy Stardust - I'm just not that good a singer so I belted it out in my own crappy voice. I think it's fine, but I don't sound like Bowie, so....

Those are just off the top of my head. I'll have to go way back through my old clinic threads to find some more.

Hah. Let me see if I can remember....

No Woman No Cry got some bad feelings
Sloop John B - I thought I did a pretty nice job. It didn't go over well with some people.
Hallelujah - I killed this song for some guy's weird little contest that I totally won by popular vote and never got my prize. He hated it.
Ziggy Stardust - I'm just not that good a singer so I belted it out in my own crappy voice. I think it's fine, but I don't sound like Bowie, so....

Those are just off the top of my head. I'll have to go way back through my old clinic threads to find some more.

You should try doing The Curse of Millhaven. It would lend itself well to a surf-punk style thing - you'd probably like the lyrics too.

I don't remember the Ziggy one. Oh, that was the one that was all about the half cocked wah tones of Ronno I think.
Hallelujah & NWNCry are both super fav songs for me but I loved the version you did - I'm not precious about fav songs and adding humour can only be a good thing.
Your version of Sloop was amazing Greg. I'm still waiting for the mono mix (not mono button) of it!
I don't do covers because I don't sing and can't remember songs.
I even had to go & relearn my latest project after a fortnight off!

I put together a covers "album" of my own favorites that I've done. I was gonna release it for free to anyone that wanted to hear that crap. Some are pretty faithful, some are complete hatchet jobs, some are good mixes, some are real old. Some of the choices may shock and appall just because of what they are. I never did anything with it though.

Any of yall wanna hear it? I can dig it up.

I put together a covers "album" of my own favorites that I've done. I was gonna release it for free to anyone that wanted to hear that crap. Some are pretty faithful, some are complete hatchet jobs, some are good mixes, some are real old. Some of the choices may shock and appall just because of what they are. I never did anything with it though.

Any of yall wanna hear it? I can dig it up.

Well, while I've got Nick Cave on the brain... you could always called the album "Murdered Ballads"

Well, while I've got Nick Cave on the brain... you could always called the album "Murdered Ballads"

No, I titled it "Cover Your Ass". I even had a pic taken of me naked in a bed holding a guitar all sexy like some cheesy 80s Whitesnake thing with only a sliver of blanket over my butt. :laughings:

It was fittingly disturbing.

Back