Need studio monitors. can't break the bank.

I've got the KRK Rokit 6, big improvement from the hi-fi speakers I was using before. They double as my computer monitors, so I wanted something with a balance between sounding good and being accurate enough for mixing. I won't get near their potential until I have a treated my room.

Easlern has the Rokit 5, he can give you his verdict on those.

Cool cool. Equator d5s and rockit's 5 or 6. Got it. I'll do some research.

Ok for lower listening volumes? Can't crank it most of the time. About normal tv volume is what I can do now. In my hp's, I constantly go back and forth between quiet and loud.

I want to get good records out to where people say, "you made this in your garage?"

The advice given above about room treatment is critical then. If you make a recording in an untreated garage, nobody will be surprised it was made in a garage. It will be apparent to all.

My opinion is this. Either mix on good quality proper studio monitors in a decent space, or just get some old hifi and get used to it as best you can.

What kind of Stereo do you have? Goodwill and thrift shops can furnish something pretty accurate if you know your old school hi-fi.....

Also, you might list your location. Someone on here with five minutes to kill might look on your local CL for you.

Yes. The KEF speakers on Ebay that I linked to earlier would not only make better monitors than the typical $100 powered monitors, the asking price plus shipping is ridiculously low for that brand and model. I'd buy them myself if I didn't have several pairs already. If they've already been sold, you can PM me for help picking out a decent vintage amp and speakers.

Also, don't forget about Reverb.com! I've spent way too much money on that site, but damn, a deal is a deal. Promise I'm not a shill for them...

Looks like there are some older generation KRK monitor pairs there for a good price. But I don't know what each generation has actually added to the feature list over the years. Might be worth a little research.
https://reverb.com/marketplace/pro-audios?condition=used&query=krk

$200 asking price for a pair of Yamaha HS50m. I have their bigger brothers, and I love them. Maybe make an offer and see if you can get 'em even cheaper.
https://reverb.com/item/1605277-yamaha-hs-50m-5-powered-studio-monitor-pair

The V6 Black Cones are the hot deal there on Reverb. The ST6's are good if you have an amp around. I'd offer something a little lower on the V6's and see if seller bites.

Also, don't forget about Reverb.com! I've spent way too much money on that site, but damn, a deal is a deal. Promise I'm not a shill for them...

Looks like there are some older generation KRK monitor pairs there for a good price. But I don't know what each generation has actually added to the feature list over the years. Might be worth a little research.
https://reverb.com/marketplace/pro-audios?condition=used&query=krk

$200 asking price for a pair of Yamaha HS50m. I have their bigger brothers, and I love them. Maybe make an offer and see if you can get 'em even cheaper.
https://reverb.com/item/1605277-yamaha-hs-50m-5-powered-studio-monitor-pair

I will give a personal 'don't do it' for the KRK G2 5's. They were seriously hyped in the low end and mixes did not translate well for me. And this was in the same treated room I am in now.

To be honest I stopped using my KRK G2 8's ($300 used) for mixing in preference of Event TR8's ($300 used). The Event's don't go down very low in frequency range but I have a sub for that. They are way clearer/accurate in the mids. KRK 8's are a bit scooped in the mid range.

Just my opinion.

I will give a personal 'don't do it' for the KRK G2 5's. They were seriously hyped in the low end and mixes did not translate well for me. And this was in the same treated room I am in now.

To be honest I stopped using my KRK G2 8's ($300 used) for mixing in preference of Event TR8's ($300 used). The Event's don't go down very low in frequency range but I have a sub for that. They are way clearer/accurate in the mids. KRK 8's are a bit scooped in the mid range.

Just my opinion.

Yes. The Rockits were nowhere near as good as the V series. I have "heard" similar reports about those G series. Those huge 3 ways that they came out with were really bad.

The larger of the two little JBL's won my little GC shootout. Even, smooth, detailed, and I just like horn loaded tweeters I guess.

last year, i went to GC to test out monitors. (still on hp's). I recall the differences between the models so incredibly drastic that it was overwhelming. I wondered about buying the set that made my mixes sound best, but then wondered if that would be leading me astray.

last year, i went to GC to test out monitors. (still on hp's). I recall the differences between the models so incredibly drastic that it was overwhelming. I wondered about buying the set that made my mixes sound best, but then wondered if that would be leading me astray.

The rooms that they demo the monitors in at GC and other places are not treated properly so you need to keep that in mind. What I can say is that you should bring along some music that you're VERY FAMILIAR WITH...........a well used CD....etc. At least you'll be hearing something you'll have some previous reference to. What you're looking for.......to begin with......is how much of the music / sound range you can clearly hear. That's a good and simple step one. After that it's what everyone here will tell you.........you'll have to use them at home and learn how they reproduce all types of music and sounds. Only time will get you to that point. As you use them over and over.......their flaws will begin to become familiar to you and that's when you'll be able to learn how to adjust your tracks. Pretty much all of them have their flaws........some worse than others. I have used many different brands at this point. My advice is to stay away from the KRK's but there are some who like them. The JBL 305's are good but are not flawless either. No matter what........upgrading your monitors will help you out........especially if you still using your HP's.

No matter what........upgrading your monitors will help you out........especially if you still using your HP's.

i think i've done well with one year, or so, of using headphones...so yeah, i'm excited to hear what i can do with monitors. i hope it makes an improvement aside from just the amount of time until i'm satisfied with a mix (less time bouncing tracks out and referencing, etc.)

When I was looking for monitors, I was looking for the ones that let me hear something I have never heard in a familiar song. I also wanted something that was clear in the upper mids, but soft at the same time. That way I could mix all day without getting too ear-drunk. I also like darker monitors, because they translate better for me.

That's how I picked mine.

When I was looking for monitors, I was looking for the ones that let me hear something I have never heard in a familiar song. I also wanted something that was clear in the upper mids, but soft at the same time. That way I could mix all day without getting too ear-drunk. I also like darker monitors, because they translate better for me.

That's how I picked mine.

That is exactly what I would listen for now. But we also may have more of an understanding of what we are looking for after some time basing that opinion on experience.

I'm not sure that advice would work so well for someone who is guessing from the get go.

What are you using now Farview? I am sure I could do a search but... My next investment is going to be getting rid of the KRK8's (likely at a huge discount to a member here who needs them) and going with something much more expensive (and hopefully worth the money).

Right now, I only have the Genelec 1031a. I used to also have a set of Urei 813c's. If I were to buy a new set now, it would be the Barefoot micromains

Right now, I only have the Genelec 1031a. I used to also have a set of Urei 813c's. If I were to buy a new set now, it would be the Barefoot micromains

$3G is the range I am looking at myself. My, don't the 10G range monitors look tempting? :)

Keep me in mind if you are looking for a sell out/up scenario. I may just take your Gen's off you quick so you can upgrade right to the Barefoot's with cash in hand instead of waiting for sale later.

If I could justify $9k for monitors, I would get rid of the Genelecs. I'm only doing mix projects, mostly from Eastern Europe. I no longer advertise or seek out projects. Not that I'm quitting, I just don't have time to look for work and do the work I find, while doing my normal day gig.

My next investment is going to be getting rid of the KRK8's (likely at a huge discount to a member here who needs them) and going with something much more expensive (and hopefully worth the money).

1. Are they not-so-good monitors?
2. Pm me. How much of a discount?

I had some rokit 8s didnt like em cheap build quality too.
As to sound, very hyped bottom end and top end. The mids were lacking.

I'll add a tentative reccomendation against anything KRK Rokit related (though the VXT's have a good rep), I've used at various points. the Rokit 5's and 8's (G2) and they do sound hyped. As a first set of monitors you can do a lot worse, but there are more neutral/less hyped monitors available (my preference there).

I like them for listening though, so take that for whatever it's worth. I have the Rokit 5's sat in the kitchen instead of hi-fi at the moment and use them to reference mixes still...

Maybe I have mentioned it before, but here's another plug for the Equator D5s. 399.00 for a pair, they sound great, not hyped, and with the coax design, have very good imaging. For a 5 inch driver they have excellent bass response, and the port is on the front so there are less issues when close up to a wall.

I have no vested interest in the company, just own a pair. had them for a bit over a year and am very satisfied. The second version is out and available for shipping which improves upon the first version (although, I have no complaints about V1) 399 right now but they will go up in price.

Hey, it's worth doing a google, and they offer a 60 day return.

I know a lot of people like KRKs and they are all over youtube, but having owned a set I think they are shit. (no offense if you like them).

Lots of people like the JBLs, but too much plastic for me.

The Equators are solid and sound good. So the question is do you want a set of GOOD affordable monitors, or a set of "popular" monitors?

Enough said.

:D

Back