Need studio monitors. can't break the bank.

Ex3vious

Hey guys,
I need some help here. I was mixing on a set of $50 computer speakers, now I know this isn't recommended but its what I had and made use of. Now one speaker keeps cutting in and out, I think I need to get some studio monitors to do some proper mixing.

The problem is I am not in a position to spend much money on this at all. I would be comfortable keeping the purchase under $100, but about $150 would be my max.
Any recommendations, I've been looking at a few on amazon let me know what you guys think of these, and thanks!

Amazon.com: Alesis Elevate 5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers with Elliptical Waveguide (Pair): Musical Instruments

Amazon.com: Mackie CR Series CR3 - 3" Creative Reference Multimedia Monitors (Pair): Musical Instruments

By the way, I mix a variety of music but its generally rock oriented.

Need studio monitors. can't break the bank.
Wait until you can break the bank. The absolute most important (recording related) purchase you will ever make by a loooooong shot. Every single sonic decision you will make is based on what you hear through your monitoring chain.

Save until you can spend more. Lots of choices in the range of $400 for the pair. Use your headphones in the meanwhile.

The Alesis are probably a good step up from your computer speakers, but the advice to keep saving is good, too. JBL LSR305s - you can usually find on sale for about $240/pair (normal street price is $300) and have a low end a little better and overall I think a smoother sound.

Also in the $400 range are the Equator D series, that are probably the best bang for Buck choice.

But $150 just isn't going to get you anything more worthwhile than going to goodwill and getting an old component stereo.

Let me ask this,
what am I missing out on by only spending $100, is it that I won't be able to hear certain frequencies that I otherwise could hear with a better set?

If you've got a Guitar Center nearby, go in and listen. They usually have a room with a bunch of monitors set up for you to compare. You'll hear the difference in clarity, detail, and even response between low end monitors and those just a notch or two up the scale.

Beyond that, think longer term. I know you are a student and money is tight, but why buy something that you'll want to upgrade before you've had them very long? If you keep upgrading incrementally, you'll eventually spend more money to get to something you really want than if you had saved and gone right for the good stuff. It's a strategy and a philosophy. Building up a studio is an expensive proposition and takes a while to achieve, but it will take less time and cost less if you go about it efficiently.

What you will be missing is accuracy, frequency response, clarity and other things that make it easy to have your mixes translate to other systems.

It isn't so much that there are frequencies you won't hear, but they won't be balanced correctly.

I think I'm gonna spend $300 and actually get something good. Everyone I talk to tells me the $100 sets are just computer speakers.

I think I'm gonna spend $300 and actually get something good. Everyone I talk to tells me the $100 sets are just computer speakers.

Good start. :)
$300 still isn't a lot of money in this area. Either way, be sure to by something that comes recommended by a reputable source.

It's not as simple as not being able to hear certain frequencies, or whatever. It really is like saying what am I missing out on with my $10,000 car compared to a $200,000 car with the same kit.
Build quality, quality of components used, attention to detail, quality control (i.e. your pair sounds like my pair).
With a car you just feel it and with monitors you just hear it.

I don't know Alesis' current models but I didn't think much of their M1 Actives at all.

I have Mackie HR624s, which aren't bad to my ears, but even still...I'm yearning for a big upgrade.

Don't dismiss Diggy's idea. You'll get far better quality in every sense from a Denon amp and Kef bookshelf speakers, for example.
You'll also pay buttons.
I'm not saying they're a substitute for professional monitors, but they're a substitute for 'professional' monitors < $400 or whatever.

And then there is the other elephant in the room....

High end,, or shit monitors, or stereo speakers can lie to you if your room is introducing problems.

Some get away with never dealing with those issues and get good results. If you are serious tho....

Place 'acoustic treatment' on your TO DO LIST! Best advice and least expensive upgrade I ever did!

:)

And then there is the other elephant in the room....

High end,, or shit monitors, or stereo speakers can lie to you if your room is introducing problems.

Some get away with never dealing with those issues and get good results. If you are serious tho....

Place 'acoustic treatment' on your TO DO LIST! Best advice and least expensive upgrade I ever did!

:)

What he said. :D

Get the what you can afford and upgrade later. And you will want to upgrade monitors, and treat your room, with the good stuff.

Not much difference between the old Tascam and the 2i2. Consider the 2i4 or the Tascam 2x2, as well. And like everyone else said: acoustic treatment. It really does make a difference.

I am but a lowly garage mixer, so professional gear is not what im really looking for. but I want to get good records out to where people say, "you made this in your garage?" And my cheap audio interface is dying. I'm looking at getting this to replace it, any ideas about it?

Amazon.com: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Recording Audio Interface: Musical Instruments

also whats the difference between this and my current interface which is this one
Product: US-100 | TASCAM

My opinion is this. Either mix on good quality proper studio monitors in a decent space, or just get some old hifi and get used to it as best you can. (or...gasp...headphones).

The budget "studio monitors" in between won't offer you an advantage but they'll happily take your money.

What kind of Stereo do you have? Goodwill and thrift shops can furnish something pretty accurate if you know your old school hi-fi.....

Also, you might list your location. Someone on here with five minutes to kill might look on your local CL for you.

I'll jump in on this instead of creating my own "what monitors should i get" thread, which I was just about to do. I'm finally upgrading from headphones soon (hd 280's), and am wondering what you guys think. Someone recommended the Equator D's above. KRK? M Audio? for the pair, i'd go up to $600.

The Equator D5 is an awesome speaker. I have several friends that use them and are very happy. They also get great reviews. The D4 was the cheaper version, but they don't seem to make it anymore. The D5 might have gotten a little expensive, depending on where you look.

Back