The New Tone Thread

Thanks minerman! It's totally dry - I did add some digital gain to push it closer to zero but that's it. The amp has a harmonic overtone thing going on I guess.
Cool man, maybe it's just my ears, I dunno....either way, I think it's a great guitar tone for some kick-ass rock music dude...Well done...

I'll try to post up some clips tomorrow, it's too late to even think about firing up the DSL tonight...

BTW, what speakers did you use on that clip, greenbacks???

Gents,

With Greg not being about I posted this in the MP3 mixing clinic but its more appropriate here. Getting a good heavy tone now, my semi clean verse tone sounds appropriately mangled and I love the feedback at the end.
View attachment Test Mix.mp3

antichef,
In the 1st section it sounded almost like two guitars - one with meat'n'potatoes and the otehr with the top end. That said it has a nice touch of angry young man about it. To my ears, rubbish ears - it needs more vol & less gain but I like it.

JDOD the intro guitar tone is very odd given the next section.
If it's the ol'soft/loud thing I reckon you'd be better with less effect on the guitar.
The noodling tone is OK but the 2nd bit of noodling doesn't go anywhere.
The feedback section shows promise but doesn't go anywhere other than under the tough guitar. I had hoped it would go haywire and into a feral solo.
Good start mate - I'll have to listen again for the drums & bass.

JDOD the intro guitar tone is very odd given the next section.
If it's the ol'soft/loud thing I reckon you'd be better with less effect on the guitar.
I'm not sure about the phaser either - I added it at the last minute - I just stood on it and recorded it using the settings it happened to be on.

The noodling tone is OK but the 2nd bit of noodling doesn't go anywhere.
I agree, the 2nd bit is shit.

The feedback section shows promise but doesn't go anywhere other than under the tough guitar. I had hoped it would go haywire and into a feral solo.
Ah, good idea, it was supposed to just be an outro - maybe I'll have a messy - effecty solo come out of the feedback then descend back into feedback.

I actually don't hear any noodling at all ..... how can I be missing that?

I'm just hearing various rhythmic things ..... mostly chordal or octaves or power chords.

Anyways ..... sound fairly good to me.

I actually don't hear any noodling at all ..... how can I be missing that?

I'm just hearing various rhythmic things ..... mostly chordal or octaves or power chords.

Anyways ..... sound fairly good to me.

There's a small noodle over the verses, nothing major. One of them is good and starts to feedback, one of them is shit. I think I'll double the length of the verse, have the little noodle over the first half so the feedback will ring over the 2nd half where I'll have the vocals.

The chord structure in the chorus is fairly odd. The powerchords are C5, C#5, F5, E5, but the octaves are F, E, C, C# So the sequence is effectively C/F, C#m twice, followed by G5, A5, E5 twice. Its proved to be a twat to right lead for.

The verse is just E6 and F#5 so that's pretty simple.

JDOD: The guitar tones sound fine to me, maybe brighten the dirty sound up a little for a tad more bite (which I usually have too much of....:D), but again, the guitar tones sound pretty good. You're gettin' better at it man, it just takes some trial/error & patience....

I really have no input on the song (as far as how the progression etc should go), but as far as the mix itself, the drums need more "oomph"...

With Gerg away, someone's gotta keep up the stooges riffs, so I'll step up:

View attachment 95734

Someone on another forum recommended the AKG D1000E dynamic microphone is being good for distorted guitar and I reflexively went to ebay and ordered one (for like $30).

This clip is a SG Supreme with 57 classics using the bridge pickup -> Orange OR100 dirty channel with the gain at about 2:00 but the overall volume pretty low, and the EQ knobs all at 12:00 -> Chandler TG2 -> Lynx Aurora

I like the mic - I think I'm going to use it a lot. I think I like it better than a 57, but I haven't really put it through it's paces yet - I need to hear how it performs at around 125 decibels.

Man i really REALLY like this tone dude. Good job. I might have to do some looking for one of these.

JDOD - sounds good to me - I too would like to hear a big solo.

Rayc - yes, too much gain for me as well - just thought I'd try it for a change. When we cover that song in my band, the gain knob is down a couple of notches and the volume is way up.

I knew I left something out of the signal chain - the speaker is a V30 in a standard issue Orange PPC 412. The mic was positioned at 90 degrees about halfway to the edge

I don't dip into the "Tone Thread" all that often but I am moved to say I miss Greg.

We had our differences at time and often I did not know WTF he was on about (did he always?) but yes, I miss him.

I suspect the guy has his own, personal demons but the place ain't the same without him!

Dave.

JDOD - sounds good to me - I too would like to hear a big solo.

Rayc - yes, too much gain for me as well - just thought I'd try it for a change. When we cover that song in my band, the gain knob is down a couple of notches and the volume is way up.

I knew I left something out of the signal chain - the speaker is a V30 in a standard issue Orange PPC 412. The mic was positioned at 90 degrees about halfway to the edge
Cheers, mate. Solos just don't seem to work in that song very easily. The chord progression is too unconventional. I'd have to write it very carefully and I'm lazy! Would be easy enough to write over the interlude.

Cheers, mate. Solos just don't seem to work in that song very easily. The chord progression is too unconventional. I'd have to write it very carefully and I'm lazy! Would be easy enough to write over the interlude.
I may throw down a quick improvised solo over that just for giggles this week .... doesn't sound that unconventional to me ...... maybe when i try to play over it I'll find out I'm wrong! :D

I may throw down a quick improvised solo over that just for giggles this week .... doesn't sound that unconventional to me ...... maybe when i try to play over it I'll find out I'm wrong! :D
Go for it Bob, I'm finding it a pain in the arse to improvise over.

Back