Good films?

My Grandad was too young but was a bombardier in WWII. Just before he was deployed he was called back to the pits, as they needed miners more than soldiers....the pit collapsed on him, lucky white heather or what?

I'm assuming the collapse was fatal, & he was an underground miner??? We call it a "fall" or "roof fall" around here....25 years of underground experience here man, been covered up 3 times myself...The first 2 times were nothing really, but the last time in '08 I was very lucky to say the least, as it took about an hour & 1/2 for 10 guys just to get me out from under the rock & onto a stretcher so they could get me out of the mine, then to the hospital...The rock that "got me" was estimated to be about 10-12' at it's thickest part, 18' wide, & 40-50' long. The only thing that saved me was the fact that I was sitting between the continuous miner I was running, & a set of MRS' (mobile roof supports, which actually did what they were supposed to, & broke the rock where they were set against the roof properly...), actually right up next to the continuous miner. I'd just taken my coat/jacket off & stuffed it under the lids on the miner, & was on my knees opening a Mountain Dew, about to have lunch while I finished the cut I was in. I was actually about to move from the spot I was in when the fall happened. If the rock had fallen 15-20 seconds later, I wouldn't be here right now...Props to your Grandpa dude...

Back to the topic, I've been into war movies lately, "Lone Survivor" is decent, "Zero Dark Thirty" I thought was pretty good myself...I have Netflix too, so I'm gonna check out those WWI/WWII flicks, I've saw a bunch of 'em on the History Channel, dunno if it's the same thing or not, even if it is, I'll probably watch 'em anyway...

Yeah WW1 was nuts...it was the union of old-school traditional warfare (i.e. charge at the enemy) with new-school technology, like the Maxim/Vickers machine guns. That's why the casualty rates for the first couple years were so incredibly high--once the whistle blew, it was time to get out of the trench and charge straight into 500 rounds-per-minute. Freaking insane. Then the opposing side would go. I can't even imagine being in the middle of that...it'd be terrifying.

I'm assuming the collapse was fatal, & he was an underground miner??? We call it a "fall" or "roof fall" around here....25 years of underground experience here man, been covered up 3 times myself...The first 2 times were nothing really, but the last time in '08 I was very lucky to say the least, as it took about an hour & 1/2 for 10 guys just to get me out from under the rock & onto a stretcher so they could get me out of the mine, then to the hospital...The rock that "got me" was estimated to be about 10-12' at it's thickest part, 18' wide, & 40-50' long. The only thing that saved me was the fact that I was sitting between the continuous miner I was running, & a set of MRS' (mobile roof supports, which actually did what they were supposed to, & broke the rock where they were set against the roof properly...), actually right up next to the continuous miner. I'd just taken my coat/jacket off & stuffed it under the lids on the miner, & was on my knees opening a Mountain Dew, about to have lunch while I finished the cut I was in. I was actually about to move from the spot I was in when the fall happened. If the rock had fallen 15-20 seconds later, I wouldn't be here right now...Props to your Grandpa dude...

Back to the topic, I've been into war movies lately, "Lone Survivor" is decent, "Zero Dark Thirty" I thought was pretty good myself...I have Netflix too, so I'm gonna check out those WWI/WWII flicks, I've saw a bunch of 'em on the History Channel, dunno if it's the same thing or not, even if it is, I'll probably watch 'em anyway...

He was an underground miner...he survived but his working life was over due to spine damage...his leg had to be in a caliper and he was on sticks the rest of his days. His brothers names are all on the same monument in a town ten miles east of Edinburgh. I try to visit it when Im ever back that way.

Glad you were lucky...though "props" for my Grandad wouldve helped hold the roof up lol

15264437570_0d6be86e74_b.jpg

OK the thread went all "war"

so I bought battle of Britain on blu ray....nifty FX and modelling for a 46 year old film, great air combat cinematography, holds up well (apart from the "what, what" accents)

On a war note, I got A Bridge Too Far on DVD in the post yesterday. My best friend's Dad's Parachute Regiment were in the film doing the, wait for it, parachuting scenes. A great film too, that can sit proudly with the others I've started collecting.

I watched The Town 2010 the other night with the wife. It's a film I'd heard about lots and finally bought the DVD in 2013 maybe but never got around to watching. I thought that was a cracking little film.

Not seen anything new for a while. Want to see the new Terminator film but haven't had the chance yet.

It is a quality film. I just had a quick look on his Facebox page and found some of the Photo's from when he was filming ABTF. You may appreciate them, being into your War stuff.

10898257_855088217887971_5442715608009929927_n.jpg

10433095_855088214554638_8589732507670269985_n.jpg

857579_495931907136939_169755286_o.jpg

602055_498812700182193_1209804621_n.jpg

Not seen anything new for a while. Want to see the new Terminator film but haven't had the chance yet.

I saw that one the other day. It's nothing groundbreaking, but I thought it was a pretty cool film. Has a good plot! You can tell the people who made this one definitely love and respect the originals, so if you're a fan of those definitely check it out.

I saw that one the other day. It's nothing groundbreaking, but I thought it was a pretty cool film. Has a good plot! You can tell the people who made this one definitely love and respect the originals, so if you're a fan of those definitely check it out.

Yeah, that's what I've already heard about it and the main reason I want to see it. :thumbs up:

I watched "Sabotage" with Arnold Schwarzenegger last night, & thought it was pretty good. Pretty much knew how it was gonna turn out, but I enjoyed it just the same...

Poltergeist 2015 is just an awful, awful, AWFUL film. As remakes go, this is nearly as bad as Stallone's Get Carter!

I saw Stallone's Get Carter about ten years ago, I thought it was half-decent. A few years after I saw the original one with Michael Caine, and realized that the Stallone version was DOGSHIT.

Mr Clean's photos

That's pretty cool.

Not really a film but a BBC three episode series called "Our World War" on Netflix

was pretty good, I think the first two were the best about the brit defeat at Mons and desertion...not a huge budget but very decent production values. Plus the first world war is always more interesting than yet another Nazi documentary

I watched only the first episode a couple weeks ago, but it was awesome. I'm going to watch the next two soon. I watched it twice, the second time with subtitles because the accents were a little thick for me to understand everything the first time around. It was on par with Band of Brothers.

That part where the battle begins, where the Germans just keep marching into the machine gun fire... I know it's just a movie (filmmakers always take liberties and exaggerate), but I can imagine conscripts in 1914 doing just that, just walking into an obvious slaughter because they were told to do so.

Found a little gem on Netflix, "The Physician". Not an action movie, great acting, good subject.

I watched only the first episode a couple weeks ago, but it was awesome. I'm going to watch the next two soon. I watched it twice, the second time with subtitles because the accents were a little thick for me to understand everything the first time around. It was on par with Band of Brothers.

That part where the battle begins, where the Germans just keep marching into the machine gun fire... I know it's just a movie (filmmakers always take liberties and exaggerate), but I can imagine conscripts in 1914 doing just that, just walking into an obvious slaughter because they were told to do so.

The thing is the series tries to be as accurate as possible, these are from first hand accounts, and from what Ive read they did march in as they had no idea how to fight in a modern war. crazy.

Back