The New Tone Thread

She has many other “tunes” that could have been posted, but in the end the knee jerk reaction of some people would probably be the same anyway.

A better question is: Why do some people continually feel they always need to talk down about any guitarist with technical abilities?

Or………. better yet

How can a song taken from a multi-platinum selling album, that is inspirational to thousands of people around the world, not be considered a tune?

I'm not talking down a guitarist with technical ability.

I just dont find that style of music tuneful. To me, any song just gets lost in amongst all the flashy stuff.

If enough people like it enough to make it a platinum record, good luck to them.

Take a technically good guitarist like Kirk Hammett. He's really good but he often plays his solos for the song, with passages and phrases that have a tuneful hook to them and complement the music - often linked together with a fast run. Some of his stuff isn't that good, but you see what I am getting at.

So, why did you post that video of that girl?

She has many other “tunes” that could have been posted, but in the end the knee jerk reaction of some people would probably be the same anyway.

A better question is: Why do some people continually feel they always need to talk down about any guitarist with technical abilities?

Or………. better yet

How can a song taken from a multi-platinum selling album, that is inspirational to thousands of people around the world, not be considered a tune?

Why do you care so much? Some people don't like it, so what? Why should sales numbers be any measure - if so, we'd have to agree that One Direction are brilliant.

I see you were banging on about being disrespectful again, but I find your whole attitude (not to mention the homophobic vitriol you were spewing out several pages ago) disrespectful to people's opinions on here.

Have you noticed how technical shred/metal players don’t seem to post much “tones” in this thread?

Judging by the almost insane allergic reactions of some people to most any form of technical metal guitar playing, it’s no wonder they stay away.

All tones welcome here, neoclassical metal stuff need not apply! :guitar:

Have you noticed how technical shred/metal players don’t seem to post much “tones” in this thread?

Judging by the almost insane allergic reactions of some people to most any form of technical metal guitar playing, it’s no wonder they stay away.

I think if they posted some, they'd get honest opinion, which would likely be along the lines of 'I don't like that style, but the tone is x because of y, try doing z'.

I think you'd get the same, if you posted some tone instead of videos of other guitarists.

For example, look at Greg and Minerman, the most prolific posters in this thread. Greg hates hair metal, Miner loves it. Greg spends a lot of effort helping Miner get the tone he's searching for.

I think if they posted some, they'd get honest opinion, which would likely be along the lines of 'I don't like that style, but the tone is x because of y, try doing z'.

I think you'd get the same, if you posted some tone instead of videos of other guitarists.

Gotta call total bullshit on that idea.

If a person openly says he hates neoclassical metal guitar, there’s no fucken way they can work effectively in a positive manner in that realm of music, period.

(Sorry for the profanity, but I’ve read plenty of profanity being used on this thread and nobody seems to get in any trouble for it, hope there’s no hypocrisy here and that nobody goes crying to the mod’s like little bit*#hs again)

You've already been given a good example above where someone is being helpful despite the fact that it's not a musical style that they like.

The way you are posting suggests that you want to feel some sort of persecution. What help do you want with your tone? Why did you post the video of that girl? Is it tone you would like to get?

Or were you just posting if so you could throw your toys out of the pram when people said they didn't like it?

I like Minerman’s music a lot, it’s rock/metal, but it is not neoclassical metal.

The hate shown here is for anything that even resembles neoclassical shred metal is clear, so no they’re not even close to being the same. Wrong, try again.

Soorrrry for having a dissenting opinion WW.
You don't read what's written. You take your bias into the fray & I'm afraid you don't argue well. You're banging on about something that isn't real, isn't acknowledged by observers and is really a projection of your own insecurities about a lack of validation for your own musical tastes.
I'm comfy knowing my wife likes Metallica primarily for their pretty songs & that I don't like them because of their pretty songs, (oh, and the hunting of bears woken from hibernation).
I'm comfy listening to Black Sabbath, Budgie, Buffalo and other old, old school metal knowing that it is a mark of my age - even though much of their stuff endures musically.
I'm comfy having Richard Lloyd, Tom Verlaine & Robert Quine as my preferred "technical" guitarists.
I'm comfy knowing that one day, when you grow up a little, you'll allow others to have opinions that differ from you & that you'll be able to accept them as people regardless of their taste.
take a deep breath, realize that you've made your self seem rather juvenile and tawdry and be comfy that I won't hold it, or neo-classical metal against you. Oh, for clarification's sake when & who musically define classical metal, (as opposed to classic metal that is)? I assume it's there somewhere otherwise there'd be no "neo".

ray...

Apparently you must not have ever heard the term “Neoclassical metal” it is a rock genre; you can Google it, it just so happens to be the style several of you guys openly admitted to hate with a passion. You’ve made it’s perfectly clear neoclassical metal music or guitar tones aren’t welcome here.

I actually never said they were the same. I was giving it as an example of people with vastly differing styles helping each other out.. you probably realised that though.

I don't think anyone has ever said that neo classical rock and metal isn't welcome here even though many people don't like it.

I actually never said they were the same. I was giving it as an example of people with vastly differing styles helping each other out.. you probably realised that though.

I don't think anyone has ever said that neo classical rock and metal isn't welcome here even though many people don't like it.

Enjoy it then!

sorry but that's not correct ..... there were a couple of metal players that posted tones here and the responses were the same as anyone else ...... simple comments on the tone and that's all.

You, on the other hand, have yet to post ANY tones so you simply have no idea how we'd react.
This thread is NOT about posting clips of people playing .... it is about YOU posting your own tones.
Every single person that's involved in this thread has posted their tones ..... you're the only one who hasn't.

So post some tones ...... you seem to think it's about posting clips of music you like ...... and it's not.
It's about posting your own tones ...... you're the only one who hasn't. I will admit I haven't listened to your clips but I also haven't listened to anyone else's clips either unless it was their own recordings of their own tones.

And you, in your short stay here, have posted more off-topic clips that have nothing to do with what the thread's about than everyone else put together.
Post your tones or not but until you do you have no standing to complain about how people react to your tones.

I'll make an exception and listen to 'Mr. Scary' ................ nice playing, of course, .... but since this thread is about tone I have to say I dislike a super scooped midrange ...... tones like that have poor note definition because most of a guitars sound is in the midrange ..... when it's scooped like that you lose a lot IMO.
This IS a thread about tones and I have every right to state if I don't like a tone and it's my opinion.

let's see if you can read a dislike of a tone without seeing an imaginary criticism of metal since I've been VERY careful no to say anything about metal at all..

.... well crap ...... time to load up the truck and go do it again ...... see ya'll later.

Last edited:
I've posted some stuff here that was pretty wank-tastic - I could sense the discomfort, but I did get some helpful comments and no disses.

WW - I used to dabble in neoclassical riffing in the 80s but I'm out of practice - one thing I noticed back then was how much harder it was to play when there was less gain, because all of a sudden I had to worry about dynamics in addition to speed - my dynamics were actually sloppy but no one could tell as long as the peaks were all cut off by saturation. That's why wanky acoustic players are more impressive to me.

Anyway - I think tone is really relevant to that style of playing - it's just that it's so intertwined with technique (*not* the topic of this thread) that it's hard to stay OT. That said, I bet if you posted some rakes here and asked about the tone, the crowd would be surprisingly receptive.

Let's get this thread back on track to discuss/comment/advise/etc about our own guitar tones. It's not about what genre is better or about posting clips from other bands/artists. Post your own stuff and discuss. It's also not about drums, playing technique or hair spray.

Yes, it's possible to give and receive good constructive criticism about tone even if it's in a genre that is not popular at this site. I know from personal experience, I have received great feedback and advice over the years for my crappy folk-rock stuff from everyone who hates it. I don't take it personally and I try to filter out which advice is best for me and which isn't.

Now that I've posted in this thread, I'll pay more attention to it and try to keep it on track. I might even post up a few clips from my amp sim and give you guys something REAL to complain about. :D

Let's get this thread back on track to discuss/comment/advise/etc about our own guitar tones. It's not about what genre is better or about posting clips from other bands/artists. Post your own stuff and discuss.
Thanks Chili, to me, this is the thread on the 'net, period, I've improved my guitar recording skills so much over the past year or two, that it's just amazing to me...All because of the guys in this thread helping me along my way...I still have lots to learn, but I have learned tons about getting the tones I'm after, here in this very thread...

It's also not about drums
Sorry guys, but Greg has helped me so much with my drum programming, that I thought it'd be cool to show him I'm actually trying to better my tunes (drum-wise) by actually playing on 'em, even if it is an e-kit...So my apologies for going off-topic with the new set of e-drums...I actually thought to myself before posting about 'em "Man, this is the tone thread, & it's about guitar....", but I still did it...

And, just for the record, I do love hair metal, always have always will...It's no secret that Greg doesn't like it, but that's ok too, while some of the stuff he likes is ok to me, I just really don't get into it...But that's what makes us individuals...But, even with some of Greg's comments (he's mainly having fun....that's what this thread is about....having fun while learning to record guitars...), I know he's only joking with me, even though some might take offense, I don't, because I know he's only joking...

Wavewarrior: Post up some of your own tones dude, & I bet you'll have people trying to help you get where you wanna be dude...This thread ain't about technical ability, if it was, I'd been gone long ago...:laughings:.

Have you noticed how technical shred/metal players don’t seem to post much “tones” in this thread? [...] it’s no wonder they stay away.

Hm.. yeah you're right. Also, notice how no disco musicians are posting tones here? What's up with that? Must be a buncha goddam disco haters in here.

Hey- and big-band guys! What's up with that?? Why can't this thread get more big-band musicians posting tones, huh? Whaddayoos guys all got against Benny Goodman HUH?!?!

Back