TASCAM Wallpaper

In answer to Ghost. No, none of the several of those machines I have had was fitted with that tape counter. I have a couple of Nagras also, and the ones I have need a kit to go from 5" reels to 7" LOL. But they are sweet little machines, talk about "runs like a swiss watch". I believe that their very first portables where clockwork driven. Never had one of those but it sure would be a great conversation piece.

In answer to Ghost. No, none of the several of those machines I have had was fitted with that tape counter. I have a couple of Nagras also, and the ones I have need a kit to go from 5" reels to 7" LOL. But they are sweet little machines, talk about "runs like a swiss watch". I believe that their very first portables where clockwork driven. Never had one of those but it sure would be a great conversation piece.

Thanks for the info. I've been searching around the web and also couldn't find any other decks with that same tape/time counter. But from looking at the back of that deck, there is a belt running off the supply side reel assembly to drive it and the mount looks pretty clean/well fitted, so I'm assuming this was a factory option?

About the Nagras, sweet little machines for sure and really made everything else look like backyard amateur experiments by comparison when it comes to the fit, finish and compactness. I might try to hunt down some of the earliest stuff to add to the thread here depending on what I can find.

Cheers! :)

Re; the MR-70, I did some deeper web browsing earlier today and found a couple of pics that I was able to work with to put together a decent render. This still took massive amounts of post processing to put this all together but I think, at least, that it looks pretty sharp. :D

Though I'd still love to get some shots from Steve of his MR-70's as those are pretty unique beasts because of all the mods that were done to them.

Consider this one the un-modded version...

View attachment 89209

right click to download...

Scully. There's a name that I've often heard over the years but know virtually nothing about them. I know there was someone on here about a week ago who was looking for some technical support so I guess a handful of the membership here owns some of this stuff or is at least more familiar with it then myself!

All that said, I set out today to do a bit of of Scully hunting on the web and was pretty disappointed with what I could find. Really just one or two ebay auctions of a reel to reel known as the 280 and seemed to be in production from the late 50's up to the mid 70's when I think the company sort of dropped off the radar screen?

Anyway, I found a couple of fixable shots that I stitched together and then commenced to do all my usual repairs to clean it up and make it look presentable and I'm assuming by the logo on these units that this was one of the newer/last version from the early 70's.

Here's the Scully 280 record amps...

View attachment 89233

I couldn't find a usable head on shot of the Scully 280 transport so had to settle for the closest thing to a head on shot and completely render it to make it look like it was head on...to go along with those nice preamps I found yesterday.

Anyway, Scully aficionados will probably find fault with this one but then again, maybe not! :)

View attachment 89264

Long before TASCAM came to the marketplace, Teac was aiming their sights on the pro audio marketplace in the mid 60's with a series of recorders that were named the Model R-310 which were available in full track mono, half track mono and stereo. All with tube designs and with a lot of cosmetic similarities to the Ampex 351 line of American made recorders. This was of course made in Japan stuff and probably not taken too seriously at the time but still interesting to see with the benefit of hindsight to see that the day would come when Teac would build the Ampex A-700, which was a mostly just a re-branded Teac A7300.

Anyway, here's the Teac Model R-310 in all its original glory...

View attachment 89417

Concertone. Why am I doing a wallpaper of this brand? Well for starters, they had a relationship with Teac at one point in the late 60's and they jointly came out with a model called the R-505. This was an auto reverse open reel deck and had a lot of Ampex styling to it. But, this one is not of that model but instead a very beefy model form Concertone when they were a wholly owned US entity and were concentrating on the pro audio market.

This model is called the custom and is a half track stereo model that ran at 15 ips with all tube electronics and a very unique 5 head system! The two extra heads are playback heads so that you could play full track mono, half track mono/stereo or quarter track mono/stereo. Sort of like 3 machines in one!

Anyway, here's the Concertone Custom...

View attachment 89441

WOW. These shots are fantastic. Now... tell me you're using a Hasselblad with Ectachrome instead of a digital camera!

Thanks for the kind feedback!

The majority of the shots I present here are taken with all manner of cameras from i-phones up to Hasselblads and Phase Ones. But most of these images start off as simple snap shots and I then transform them in Photoshop into wallpaper worthy material. Many more of them are constructed out of several different shots where perhaps just a meter or a knob or just a screw is used from that shot to go towards building an image when I can't secure a proper whole shot to work from.

So, much of it is more-so in the digital post processing realm in terms of what I bring to the table here. The original images come from the community members here and other sources.

Much thanks to sr71rules for making the effort to take some shots of his Shure mixer collection which is pretty vast!

I asked for some shots of his reverberation model, which is called the M68RM. {Thanks to sr71rules for the info update.) Might have one or two more of some of his other stuff later on too! :)

Anyway, here's the reverberation mixer for now...

View attachment 89712

Last edited:
Back