TASCAM Wallpaper

From 1975, a more conservative effort from Pioneer, the CT-F9191. This was an era when front loading decks were just starting to catch on and Pioneer had a pretty unique cassette bay and curved door that pivoted up and inside the chassis, like a garage door. They also came up with a piano key transport that was backed up by a very early logic system that allowed for direct switching between modes without having to hit the stop button first! Baby steps...:)

View attachment 90099

right click to download...

Cheers! :)

More cassette deck mania but this time from a company considered a bit more "pro"..

Here's the Studer A 710 3 head, dual capstan balanced in & out mastering deck. The upper dress panel pivots open to reveal additional controls like tape type selection and calibration controls.

View attachment 90117

Hey Ghost, a very nice collection of pics. Do you own any of these machines? It really takes me back to when I was first introduced to the world of recording. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! :)

Illsidgus, I've owned a good many pieces of the here pictured here but certainly not all of it! Many of the original, (pre-edited) pics come from the members here and from around the web. But like you, many of these pieces come from my original introduction to the world of recording and hifi gear and I'm just trying to share that passion and fascination of that stuff with the community here.

Oscilloscopes. Sure, anyone with a tape deck knows they come in handy for checking azimuth but let's face it, most of them look too ugly or overly technical to proudly display along with the rest of our studio gear. Oddly enough, back in the early 70's, companies like Pioneer, Technics, Sony and even Marantz knew about this and tried to find a place for these units in the hifi world and added some extra features to them to make them better suited for a number of different tests and checks. Here's a few examples of their handy-work...

View attachment 90218

View attachment 90219

View attachment 90220

right click to download.....

Much thanks to mdainsd for sending me some shots of his Pie PWM stereo compressor that he built himself from a DIY kit! Had to do a bit of "reconstructive surgery" to piece this one together but I'm pleased that the patient lived! :D

View attachment 90252

Next up, another classic battleship deck from Pioneer, the CT-F700. Unique to this deck is the third meter which can monitor bias level or peak program content. That's something you just don't see every day! :)

View attachment 90293

Bizarre. The extra expense of the meter and associated circuitry, but "piano key" transport controls.

Agreed. It is a bizarre feature to be sure, But Pioneer was incorporating a primitive form of "logic assist" on that transport which allowed for directly switching from wind modes to play or record without hitting the stop button first, similar to the CT-F9191 that also had that functionality. Pioneer, at that time, would probably feel they were offering cutting edge technology! :D

I like the receivers with the o-scopes! That's really keen ;) Why did that never catch on? :facepalm:

I also like the cassette deck with the 3rd meter. Monitoring the bias level must have been an audiophiles dream! ;)

:spank::eek:;)

About the O-scopes not catching on, it was probably a sales/numbers decision to drop the feature. Only die hard techies would really want and be willing to pay for that feature, I guess.

The Teac A-450 consumer cassette deck. A fairly pedestrian model for the early 70's with a piano key transport, mic line mixing and Dolby B. The only really unique thing about this model was that it was a transitional one from the old school top loader decks which also had all the controls on the top too. The A-450 was one of the first decks I've seen that made an attempt to give give this model more of a front loader feel with almost all the controls and meters on the front panel which did indeed make this an important model! Even on ebay, one in decent shape will fetch around $200! where other similar featured decks might only get 20 to 30 bucks. Anyway, I thought it looked pretty cool, so decided to add it to the collection here. ;)

View attachment 90354

^ Thanks, Dave! :)

Speaking of thing which Teac came a long way from, I'll add in here the TEAC TCA-43 which was their original 4 track reel to reel with syml-sync. This unit was based on the regular series A4010 deck and was still limited by 7.5 IPS and also didn't have the ability to monitor source or sync/play individually on each track but instead in groups of 2 tracks. I guess that's why the A3340S was needed to address all that in one piece. This one was a three piece.

Anyway, here she be....

View attachment 90382

From 1979, Pioneer's second from top of the line deck, the CT-F950. This image was assembled from 7 different shots as there is no actual head on shot of the 950 out there with rack handles and not shot with a decent focal length lens...until now! :D

View attachment 90392

Back