TASCAM Wallpaper

I'm not sure if Orban invented the genre of "para-graphic" equalizers but they certainly popularized them with a couple of different models, one in mono and the other in stereo.

Compared to other parametric offering of the day from Urei and Tascam who offered 4 sweepable bands, Orban doubled that with 8!

For now, here's the mono unit, the Orban 672A...

View attachment 88792

right click to download...

Cheers! :)

You just keep finding all SORTS of pieces of gear I've never seen before...!

That's part of what makes this thread fun...Its like a catalog!

That Orban EQ is unique...I've never seen a control layout like that for a parametric EQ but its very smart...I like it.

You just keep finding all SORTS of pieces of gear I've never seen before...!

That's part of what makes this thread fun...Its like a catalog!

That Orban EQ is unique...I've never seen a control layout like that for a parametric EQ but its very smart...I like it.
Thanks, Cory! :)

It's challenging to keep this thread fresh and especially so because I've just about run out TASCAM gear to work on, (as far as models I want to), so yeah, now I'm branching out to other makes that I've lusted after over the years and trying to present them at their best cosmetically, which is no easy task! Lot's of searching for good images or bits of good images to jig-saw puzzle stuff together. I'll often find myself looking for just a knob or a switch at just the right angle to use as an element in a project...weird hobby, eh? :laughings:

Staying in the 60's, here's an old classic from Ampex, the AM-10, 6 channel stereo mixer. An odd feature of this unit was that you could either hard pan left or right or dead center via the 3 way flip switch. And based on some of the hard panning witnessed on many 60's records, it makes one wonder just how much use the mixer actually saw! :D

Apologies for the quality of the image as there bugger all out there on the web to work from in terms of good quality images. If only sweetbeats owned one!

View attachment 88861

^^ Thanks Cory! :)

Well, here's a true team effort! sweetbeats was kind enough to oblige me with a nice head on shot of his FR-1300 which I was mentioning in another thread that I wanted to place it into a NASA type backdrop and got to work on that backdrop a few days back and tonight was able to assemble everything together. Most of the shots came from Mission Control in Houston including the blue hallway which is part of the compound there. But all the pictures on the wall were individually hunted down separately and then mounted onto the walls by yours truly.

Anyway, enjoy!

View attachment 88883

Wicked cool, Jeff...

:D :D :D

I LOVE what you did with the first shot...lots of work with the pictures on the walls. Very, very cool idea...artist indeed.

Wicked cool, Jeff...

:D :D :D

I LOVE what you did with the first shot...lots of work with the pictures on the walls. Very, very cool idea...artist indeed.
Thanks Cory and glad you liked what I did with your shot! :)

Every once in a while I get a bit of a brainstorm of how I want something to look and actually manage to pull it off "on paper".

Back to Ampex for a moment, Now we will warp back to 1953 where we find the Model 400A mono portable field recorder! Unfortunately, I couldn't find a decent picture of the transport and only so far a semi-decent one of the amplifier unit, so I did up a wallpaper of just that one for the time being...

View attachment 88906

More hunting today and finally success after trying a number of different search parameters for the 400A transport! :)

Turns out I should have been searching for a 401A the whole time. :facepalm: :D

Anyway found this smallish image that was shot at just the right angle and with the right kind of lens! But, it was badly lit, so I converted it into 3 different exposures of -2, 0 & +2 and then processed those 3 shots as an HDR image, fiddled around with that to get it all lit and detailed properly and finally into Photoshop for the finishing touches.

View attachment 88915

impressive work on the Ampex 400 series stuff, Jeff...fascinated by what you did lighting wise on the transport.

And thanks for dolling up my bench power supply...It looks awesome!!! :D :D :D

impressive work on the Ampex 400 series stuff, Jeff...fascinated by what you did lighting wise on the transport.

And thanks for dolling up my bench power supply...It looks awesome!!! :D :D :D

Thanks! :)

I used to dabble with High Dynamic Range/HDR photography quite a bit when I was doing more nature/landscape type stuff as its a good way of capturing all of the highlights and shadows that are normally beyond the range of a single exposure. But just like digital audio, once your highlights are blown, it's like going over the 0VU mark in audio and those details are lost in a sea full on white. The original shot I found of the transport didn't have any blown highlights and as such was a candidate to try an experimental HDR process to recover what was lost in the shadows. All that said, a properly lit single shot is almost always the better way to go though.

About your power supply, yeah, that turned out to be a fun one once I got the idea to put a mad scientist's theme behind it! :D

Back