Start out with a head ache

timmer1112

So for a while now I have been working with electronic music (took a class in school and fell in love with DAW software and the whole field of music)

I am a classical vocalist by trade, and figured that I should pick up a mic and power supply to start recording my self into electronic tracks and work on boosting my classical recording portfolio with midi accompanied recordings and the like.

Much to my happiness my old musicianship teacher decided to purchase a Neummann u87 for the school's recording studio. (As a music charter we have around 40k invested into small recording studio for the students.) Because he picked up the new mic for the school and because I asked nicely he sold me the TLM 103 we have had for only a couple of years for pennies on the dollar.

I was so excited to get my hands on it. However, I had the issue of a beautiful mic that I had used several times at school to make beautiful recordings with, but no set up to use it.

So obviously I ran down to my local Guitar Center and starting finding out a way to interface it with my laptop. When I got home is where I ran into some seriously depressing issues.

I needed an inexpensive way of interfacing (I spent most of my money on the mic) and the helpful staff set me up with the Blue Icicle as an easy way of interfacing my components until I had the money to invest in a real preamp interface and mixer station.

I found quickly (within about 15 minutes of getting home) that I had a serious issue in recording on my laptop. My sound card? Well its ****. When I try to record I get a drop off and a nice loud click to go with it about every 2 seconds or so. Basically its useless at this point. After reading on the internet for about 5 hours and trouble shooting everything I could find, I am still at a loss at what to do. I believe the issue stems from a low buffer capacity on my computers built it sound card. Basically the cache gets filled and I end up losing that moment of sound that I keep missing.

So what is my question? Well would investing in a real preamp interface fix this issue or do I need to buy a new sound card? Do interfaces come with their own buffering abilities, or is that all going to be my sound cards responsibility? If I do need a new sound card, what should I buy to fix my problem? Replacing the internal is impossible as it is intergrated (yay laptops!) so what is there in the way of reliable external sound card set ups? Or I am completely left field in my reasoning?

My software of choice is Ableton Live 9 Studio and laptop is a Lenovo model from 2 years ago (I can't find the type of sound card it has in it, sorry)

Any suggestions for trouble shooting or advice on the hardware I need going forward?

Hi there Tim(?)

Bit "terse" weren't they? I shall say welcome to HR! We really should not be ragging noobs until at least their third post!

Yes, you need an Audio Interface and yes, there is one in the PC but they are not good, in fact many "serious" recordists turn them off. You could do that in Device Manager, not vital but you really should kill the Windows sounds, those irritating bleeps and bloops.

An AI will have built in pre amps and that being a "capacitor" (aka condenser) microphone it must have "phantom power" but almost all do these days.
My suggested AI at the £100 mark would be the Steinberg UR22. If things are tight you can go second hand, AIs are very reliable things and a used model is very unlikely to cause you problems. Ones to look out for are the M-Audio Fast Track pro and the Tascam US 144. There are many other brands but not all of the older AIs will play well with Win 7. I know the two mentioned definitely will.

Hope you come back soon.

Dave.

As an alternative (cheap) option. Try the Alesis IO2. Never used one, but it has midi in/out that you state you'll need, plus phantom and two mike inputs. Saw one for $69 on amazon.com :D

As an alternative (cheap) option. Try the Alesis IO2. Never used one, but it has midi in/out that you state you'll need, plus phantom and two mike inputs. Saw one for $69 on amazon.com :D

Nope. Not enough words. You need at least 3 paragraphs for a proper welcome. You sire, are TERSE!!!!!!

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :D

Your first mistake was going to Banjo Mart.

Is the Ableton a crack? Be honest.

Take the Icicle back and get a USB-powered full-duplex interface. The Icicle is designed for podcasting and not for doing overdubs.

When you get an interface, turn off all the screen saver/anti-virus/whatever other bullshit you have running besides your DAW.

The interface IS your soundcard. Disable the internal soundcard on the laptop and route everything through the USB interface.

Also please post the name of the school where you took this recording class because they didn't teach you jackshit.

Also please post the name of the school where you took this recording class because they didn't teach you jackshit.

Raggin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME BACK ONE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :D

Bit "terse" weren't they? I shall say welcome to HR! We really should not be ragging noobs until at least their third post!

... and this part I get least of all. What the heck are you talking about?????? :wtf:

What you're missing is RAMI's original response. Seems to have been removed. It may not have been THE answer, but had AN answer. It was also quite amusing. Starting the food chain that led to the Pink Floyd references.

My comment about "end with a headache" was referenced to the initial post heading "start with a headache" because the thread got derailed by oversensitives and blatant blasting of things unknown. I am also confused by attacking someone's schooling/class/teacher whatever....

Jimmy deleted a post of mine. That's why you're confused. I told him the thread is worse off after he deleted my post, because now everything is out of context and confusing.

We disagree (me and Jimmy) on whether my message should have been deleted. I was making fun of myself for having a short attention span, and he (and Dave) took it as if I was criticizing the OP's message. I was actually helpful in my post by telling the OP he doesn't need a mixer and his internal sound card won't be used if he gets an interface. There is absolutely no reason that my post should have been deleted.

So Jimmy and Dave were on the same page as far as mis-interpreting my post. I didn't mean to make fun of anyone but myself and they mis-understood it. I'll take the proverbial "high road" and say that I'll take the blame. I must have not typed it the way I meant it. (though I don't believe that for a second, I'll still say it).

Last edited:
the thread got derailed by oversensitives and blatant blasting of things unknown.
Thank you. I thought so too.

But one thing I do find REALLY AMUSING is MJB getting blasted for "ragging on a newb" along with me. That's ironic and hilarious for reasons that only a few of us can comprehend. :D

FWIW, I understood the RAMI DAMI DING DONG post perfectly. Like I said he gave an answer and did it humorously. Shouldn't have been a problem. I like puppies too.

FWIW, I understood the RAMI DAMI DING DONG post perfectly. Like I said he gave an answer and did it humorously. Shouldn't have been a problem. I like puppies too.
Bunch of Puppy haters in this place!!!!!!:D

Man, 2 nights in a row that I'm not near my computer from about 8pm the night before. I come back and all hell has broken loose. I'll have to hire a HR monitor for myself, just to keep an eye on you people while I'm out raping and pillaging. :eek: :D

I was actually helpful in my post by telling the OP he doesn't need a mixer and his internal sound card won't be used if he gets an interface.

This. ^^
There's no benefit to getting a mixer and the onboard sound is completely bypassed by 'proper' gear.
Pick up one of the interfaces that ECC or someone else mentioned and you'll be golden.
If you find that the mic sounds disappointing in your place it won't be because of the interface; It'll be because of the acoustics of the room.

In that event you'll want to look into room treatment or a reflection filter.

Back