Start out with a head ache

The laziness is what gets me. It doesn't take much research to find out that one needs an interface. Which is pretty much why I've quit answering the question! LOL!

Whilst I agree with you in principle X' I think "we" sometimes forget how far removed from everyday life "proper" sound recording is?

When I got started in it some 9 years ago I worked (as a sort of tool maker, test bed inventor) for a company that made network hardware, patch modules, racks, cabs and cables. As you would expect there were a lot of computers around the place especially in the product test room where I was assistant test room manager. Then too, there were a good dozen computer graduates and yet NONE of these people had any inkling of what an Audio Interface was and MIDI was totally unknown to them. Many were gamers and thought the S (of a) B sound card was the total zenith of sound quality!

Prior to the network industry I was in domestic electronics and by the end of my time a good 25% of my work was demonstrating the ever more complex TV and VCR products to Joe Public. If you are going to stay in THAT job you need to acquire infinite patience and the ability to remain calm and polite under severe provocation!

So I don't mind the noob with a basic question. Better he/she comes here and gets a good answer before buying the wrong kit.......And HOW many times have we seen THAT happen?

And lastly. If we are just going to have pages of stickies and FAQ's what is the point of a forum? Might as well do it once and stay home! A newb section is a calm, polite entry point for people IMO. Those forums that don't have such a section (or who let it be as rabid as the rest of the forum) I am very wary of. I suspect many of the people there are only there for their OWN reasons, not to help others. One can only wonder how they treat visitors to their homes or places of work?

Dave.

While I do agree with most of what you said, I still believe that it shows a lack of initiative and motivation not to even know that one needs an interface to get into digital recording. I know that if I decide to buy a new tv or automobile, I will do a lot of research before purchasing the aforementioned. I don't like dealing with lazy people. However, that's just me. If someone else wants to tell someone that they need an interface, that's fine with me. I'm certainly not going to be unfriendly to someone that ask a question that I feel they should already know the answer to. I just won't won't say anything. To each their own! LOL!

Last edited:
While I do agree with most of what you said, I still believe that it shows a lack of initiative and motivation not to even know that one needs an interface to get into digital recording. I know that if I decide to buy a new tv or automobile, I will do a lot of research before purchasing the aforementioned. I don't like dealing with lazy people. However, that's just me. If someone else wants to tell someone that they need an interface, that's fine with me. I'm certainly not going to be unfriendly to someone that ask a question that I feel they should already know the answer to. I just won't won't say anything. To each their own! LOL!

With the greatest respect, I think you DID miss my basic point?

Car, TVs, TIVOs, w'machines.....Are part of everyday life (and even here choice is not that simple!) but when was the last time you saw an advert for a Steinberg UR22 on the telly?!!

These "lazy" people might well have spent a considerable time investigating and I can think of two possible scenarios that brought them to our door?

1) They became totally confused by the unregulated ***t out there.
2) They landed at HR "early" and they thought " looks nice. Friendly, will give them a do".

Dave.

You're most likely right. I judge people and situations by how I would re-act and behave. I wouldn't come here and ask a question that has been answered hundreds of times. I would come here and look through various forums and posts until I found an answer to the question I was researching. That's how I ended up here! LOL! But I do understand that the world doesn't exist to please me! LOL! So if people here want to help people who I think should already know the answer to the question they are asking, that's fine with me. I've always maintained that if one is "beat" in a business transaction, it is one's own fault for not doing the proper research. But again, that's just me, and I completely understand that the world doesn't exist to please me! LOL!
And if you'd be so kind as to PM me the link to your son's stuff, I'd like to check him out. Thanks!

Not everyone gets their information in the same way. Some people are quite happy to research and work stuff out. Others want to ask someone. Both are OK, and that's what the newbies forum is for, after all.

Here's a test for you Xplosive:

You're in new supermarket with a completely unfamiliar layout. You want to buy diced horseradish in a jar because you need it for a recipe but it's not something you buy yourself, ever. It's the only think you need to buy.

What do you do?

Me? I track the bastard down aisle by aisle applying logic as to likely position, and eventually I'll find it, if it's there. I may have to deal with the fact that it's a speciality English thing and in the speciality English section I didn't even know existed.. but I'll find it.

My girlfriend, however will just walk up to an assistant and say "Where's the diced horseradish in a jar?" and will, 9 times out of 10, find it before I do. Who's smarter? Her or me?

Depends upon your definition - she got the object first, but in my searching I've roughly worked out the store layout and if there are multiple items to find, there's a number past which I'll win every time. Plus I like hunting things down anyway and seeing if I can work out where they are, and I've probably found all sorts of other bits and pieces along the way.

So I'm really frustrating to people who like to ask because they just think "Why don't you just ask?" and they're really frustrating to me because I think "How can you not want to know where everything else is, just in case?"

Thus it is with interfaces... :laughings:

/sermon

BTW, I have no problem asking for directions whilst driving... different problem altogether...:)

Thank you! I already returned the icicle as it was way more head ache then it was worth and am just going to save towards getting a real interface, after I do some research on the forums here as to what the population of musicians thinks is best. I guess I got a bit too excited when my old teacher offered up the mic and want to get to recording ASAP, but the couple of weeks it'll take me to get my hands on a real AI will be worth it I am sure.

-Tim

I got the Ableton license from my school and the class wasn't about recording. It was a music theory class and one of the units introduced us to DAWs and the whole field of MIDI based music. Most of my time recording was spent on the end of the mic with someone much more tech savy then me sitting at the computer. I am moving away from my home town for college and wanted to have a small recording set up to take with me, nothing too serious.

But thank you for being a first rate ass about your response. It wouldn't feel like the internet without it!

Reactions: JCH
The instructor should have given him a screamin' deal on the 103 after bilking him out of the tuition.

It was a music theory class not a recording class. Recording was the last unit at the end, and I spent most of my time singing into the mics, not learning how to use them.

Armistice, very good analogy but of course the supermarkets are the smartest! They WANT you to search around and impulse buy!

But I think of myself as a person of logic and reason (others may not agree!) and so if people coming into noob sections get treated the same as everyone else, why have a noob section at all?

Dave.

I got the Ableton license from my school and the class wasn't about recording. It was a music theory class and one of the units introduced us to DAWs and the whole field of MIDI based music. Most of my time recording was spent on the end of the mic with someone much more tech savy then me sitting at the computer. I am moving away from my home town for college and wanted to have a small recording set up to take with me, nothing too serious.

But thank you for being a first rate ass about your response. It wouldn't feel like the internet without it!

Welcome to the forum, bud. We've got a few people who react like that, unfortunately. xD

Thank you! I already returned the icicle as it was way more head ache then it was worth and am just going to save towards getting a real interface, after I do some research on the forums here as to what the population of musicians thinks is best. I guess I got a bit too excited when my old teacher offered up the mic and want to get to recording ASAP, but the couple of weeks it'll take me to get my hands on a real AI will be worth it I am sure.

-Tim

Most of us get by with a simple two channel interface. Majority use USB since Firewire is hard to find on Laptops and PCI is used only on desktops. Most common interfaces are Presonus, Focusrite, Steinberg, Motu and Tascam (there are others, just have to research). Most of them do the same thing. They run between $100-200 for the simple two channels.

Biggest thing to look for is XLR/1/4 cable (They are usually shared) Phantom Power, and probably MIDI DIN. You will record most of the times in mono except keyboards out, that is about the only time you record in stereo.

That should get you started. I am sure others can add to this list.

Good Luck!

Tim. Glad to have you back. Try to ignore all the musician egos going on around here. :)
Like I said earlier, there are $70 interfaces out there (Lexicon, Alesis), but you're probably best saving to at least the Scarlett 2i4/UR22/US 322 level. (don't look at the 2i2 as you stated you'd be using midi and it ain't got it!)
Anyway, to get the best out of the mike (as was already stated as well) you'll need some decent room treatment or at least a mike isolator (link) or similar.
Glad you made it through the storm, and Happy Recording! :D

Hey, if you're gonna tell your entire life story in your first post try giving us the pertinent facts. Do you have any idea how many clowns come in here with crack sw? We're not here to help them.

You got the right answers to your questions.

FOR FREE.

If you can find a better resource go there with your next round of questions.

Hey, why not try Banjo Mart? :laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

Last edited:
Welcome to the board Tim, there are a lot of good people here who are passionate about their craft and will go the extra mile to help you. As someone who is also new to the recording world I feel your pain. Keep at it and keep asking questions. I am also a card carrying smartass and sometimes it gets the best of me also. I have a Focusrite 2i2 which works pretty well. I got it for a little over 100 bucks. Thanks:D

Most of us get by with a simple two channel interface. Majority use USB since Firewire is hard to find on Laptops and PCI is used only on desktops. Most common interfaces are Presonus, Focusrite, Steinberg, Motu and Tascam (there are others, just have to research). Most of them do the same thing. They run between $100-200 for the simple two channels.

Biggest thing to look for is XLR/1/4 cable (They are usually shared) Phantom Power, and probably MIDI DIN. You will record most of the times in mono except keyboards out, that is about the only time you record in stereo.

So I guess that boils me down to a more specific question. Most of the time my music is going to involve an acoustic guitar using the built in pick up mic, using a mic (most likely the Neummann unless anyone one has a better suggestion) for recording a cello, vocals and using a midi keyboard. I don't need to have them all at once (I don't have enough hands to do it all at once) so having only 2 input channels isn't a big deal. You made a comment about midi usage with the interface, and honestly it went over my head (don't tell c7sus). What would you recommend as the best interface for these needs with midi usage being an absolute must for under $200ish? Or at least a short list that would allow me to use a midi keyboard.

So I guess that boils me down to a more specific question. Most of the time my music is going to involve an acoustic guitar using the built in pick up mic, using a mic (most likely the Neummann unless anyone one has a better suggestion) for recording a cello, vocals and using a midi keyboard. I don't need to have them all at once (I don't have enough hands to do it all at once) so having only 2 input channels isn't a big deal. You made a comment about midi usage with the interface, and honestly it went over my head (don't tell c7sus). What would you recommend as the best interface for these needs with midi usage being an absolute must for under $200ish? Or at least a short list that would allow me to use a midi keyboard.

In the Presonus line, I would only use the VSL as I think they have solved the latency problem I had with the USB Audio box. Once again, I hate to push one way or another as they are all pretty good entry level.

Here is a search with the important features $100-200 USB Interfaces, just check for phantom power.

You got the right answers to your questions.

FOR FREE.

Since you seem to be obsessing over my education and feel the need to be an idiot on the internet because no one will take you seriously in real life, my class was FREE. It was high school, I am an 18 year old aspiring musician, at some point in your depressed life you were probably in a very similar position. All my training in music has gone towards singing and classical music theory and musicology, so SORRY for asking a FORUM of musicians to help a brother out. One of the reasons I turned here so quickly was because "Banjo Mart" as you so affectionately want to call it wasn't a solid source of information. So why not try and learn from real musicians? People who will post legit help and answers and lead me to an understanding of something I know almost nothing about. People unlike you, who just feel the need to post mindless babble in order to talk down to the "noob" and feel all high and mighty about yourself. I guess a Napolean complex is in order, or maybe we should call it a Mozart Complex. He was pretty short right? Oh. But he had talent, didn't he?

Back