Put up some pics of your kit

Cool thread. I don't see pics of kits as often as guitars and stuff. I hope people keep posting...loving the photos so far.

I think you could easily achieve a great studio kit for way under 2k..! What would be your dream kit?

Something along the lines of a used Starclassic (bubinga or maple, I don't care) or Masters and a nice set of brass (basic hat, crash, crash, ride would ok for what I do).

As goofy as it is, I also would really prefer this setup... which doesn't seem to common for some reason.

22" kick
10/12/14/16" toms
14" snare (actually, I don't care if it comes with one or not)

Die cast hoops. My experience with these are that it's easier to get that drum in tune quicker.

But I could certainly live with less just fine. The one area that I could not bring myself to compromise on is the cymbals. I've recorded the cheap stuff and I've recorded the nice stuff and there just is no comparison (unless the nice stuff is cracked or keyholed haha).

I'm not a snob by any means, one of the best kits I have recorded was just a low end export so I know when it comes down to it heads and tuning makes the most difference between horse shit and fantastic.

As goofy as it is, I also would really prefer this setup... which doesn't seem to common for some reason.

22" kick
10/12/14/16" toms
14" snare (actually, I don't care if it comes with one or not)

Those kits are very common. In fact, it's probably the most common these days. Tons of "fusion" kits come with 10" and 12" rack toms with a 14" floor tom and 22" kicks are the norm. I don't know about your locale, but I can walk into a GC and see a dozen used kits in those sizes stacked up everywhere. When you find one, you'll probably have to add the 16" floor tom separately, but they're extremely common too. The 16" floor tom is like the standard single floor tom.

Those kits are very common. In fact, it's probably the most common these days. Tons of "fusion" kits come with 10" and 12" rack toms with a 14" floor tom and 22" kicks are the norm. I don't know about your locale, but I can walk into a GC and see a dozen used kits in those sizes stacked up everywhere. When you find one, you'll probably have to add the 16" floor tom separately, but they're extremely common too. The 16" floor tom is like the standard single floor tom.

I don't know why greg, but for some reason when I find these kits they seem to be the rarity. When you get fusion sets they never seem to want to give you a full 22" kick, opting for a 20" instead. It SUCKS. haha

My guitar center sucks for the most part. A lot of the used kits are not even worth a sniff (I did find a catalina birch once, but for the most part it's all fucked up cheapo kits).

Local mom and pop can get mapex stuff and I have recorded a Saturn kit a few time (walnut) and dig that kit quite a bit with the exception of the snare. But yeah, for the most part it seems the local crap is just that: crap. haha

Yeah maybe it's just your location. I don't imgaine Auburn, NY is a bustling hotspot of activity. I've got literally 5 GC's all within an hour from me here in the greater Houston area. Big city, lots of options.

Some great pics, especially your old ones Grim!

anyway heres mine :lol:

DSC_0762.jpg

DSC_0763.jpg

DSC_0764.jpg

Im looking for a VST to replace the tambourine :D

naw seriously, Im gonna invest in a kit as soon as I settle permenantly

Some great pics, especially your old ones Grim!

anyway heres mine :lol:

DSC_0762.jpg

DSC_0763.jpg

DSC_0764.jpg

naw seriously, Im gonna invest in a kit as soon as I settle permenantly

Do I see an Xavier guitar???

Yeah maybe it's just your location. I don't imgaine Auburn, NY is a bustling hotspot of activity. I've got literally 5 GC's all within an hour from me here in the greater Houston area. Big city, lots of options.

My closest GC is in 'cuse and it sucks. They carry so much worthless shit. In fact one day I went in for moon gels and they had none. :spank:

My closest GC is in 'cuse and it sucks. They carry so much worthless shit. In fact one day I went in for moon gels and they had none. :spank:

It might be worth it to you to pack up the van and travel the 6 hour drive down to the NYC area. We have about 7 or 8 Guitar Centers within Long Island, and the five boroughs. The one closest to me is in Commack and I bought a couple of good used kits there in the last few years (a Tama and a Ludwig) and I never spent more than $250 on a five or 6 piece kit. Call ahead and see what they have before you travel. I know Auburn. Nice family vacation area and close enough to Watkins Glenn to get over for the car races and car shows.

You can also use GC's online used ordering. Browse all of their stores online using keyword searches, find something you like, buy it, and have it shipped to you. If you don't like it, get a full refund at your local store. You have 30 days. I did that with an amp head. I actually returned it about 90 days later, but I raised hell and they worked with me. I got a full refund and another head that I'm still very happy with.

GC gets an overall bad rap from the internet cork-sniffers, but I've had nothing but good luck and good experiences with them. I'll take a city full of Guitar Centers over a bunch of overpriced and understocked mom and pop shops any day.

GC do a pretty good job of listing their used gear on their web sight, having said that you might wanna call and verify before making a trip. If you did happen upon something you liked I believe they will ship it to your local store.

GC do a pretty good job of listing their used gear on their web sight, having said that you might wanna call and verify before making a trip. If you did happen upon something you liked I believe they will ship it to your local store.

They'll ship it to your front door.

You can also use GC's online used ordering. Browse all of their stores online using keyword searches, find something you like, buy it, and have it shipped to you. If you don't like it, get a full refund at your local store. You have 30 days. I did that with an amp head. I actually returned it about 90 days later, but I raised hell and they worked with me. I got a full refund and another head that I'm still very happy with.

GC gets an overall bad rap from the internet cork-sniffers, but I've had nothing but good luck and good experiences with them. I'll take a city full of Guitar Centers over a bunch of overpriced and understocked mom and pop shops any day.

Crap you beat me to it!!

Sorry Greg, back in the day I gigged in the Houston area quite abit.....and I freakin hated that hot ass humid as hell shit hole. Every gig something bad would happen! Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, would be great. Houston ,the shit would hit the fan...LOL ..nothing personal im sure it was just my bad attitude.:D

The piney woods on the way in and mostly on the way out were nice though!!

Crap you beat me to it!!

Sorry Greg, back in the day I gigged in the Houston area quite abit.....and I freakin hated that hot ass humid as hell shit hole. Every gig something bad would happen! Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, would be great. Houston ,the shit would hit the fan...LOL ..nothing personal im sure it was just my bad attitude.:D

The piney woods on the way in and mostly on the way out were nice though!!

Everyone hates Houston. That's what I really like about it. It's big, it's hot, it's crowded, and it's too spread out. It also doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't. It's not some faggy cowpuke town pretending to be hip like Austin or Denton or Dallas either. Hippies and Hipsters hate Houston, and thank God for that. That's good to me. By all means, everyone go visit Austin and Dallas. Please. Go there instead. Nothing to see here.....

I remember the a/c in our van went to shit and being stuck in rush hour traffic in mid july, got to the gig, one song in, broke my snare head, grabbed the back-up told my tech to grab a new head outta my drum case ,which turned out to be outside, he ran out, song later broke my back-up, no drum-tech , no head, he locked himself out and the bouncers wouldnt let him back in...LOL..fuckin Houston! Cant remeber the name of the club, but I remember the owner was an arab dude and at like midnight he would pull the plug and the place would turn into a dance club!!

Anyway I digress, someone post some more drum pic ****!!

I remember the a/c in our van went to shit and being stuck in rush hour traffic in mid july, got to the gig, one song in, broke my snare head, grabbed the back-up told my tech to grab a new head outta my drum case ,which turned out to be outside, he ran out, song later broke my back-up, no drum-tech , no head, he locked himself out and the bouncers wouldnt let him back in...LOL..fuckin Houston! Cant remeber the name of the club, but I remember the owner was an arab dude and at like midnight he would pull the plug and the place would turn into a dance club!!

Anyway I digress, someone post some more drum pic ****!!

Lol. It's not Houston's fault that your equipment and crew are completely incompetent. :laughings:

Some great pics, especially your old ones Grim !
Yeah, my mate Mikey always looked pretty cute on the drums but you had to photograph him when he wasn't aware. Many of my friends were like that. I told them as far back as 1981 "you'll regret it one day". I have so many pics of them covering their faces as they spot the camera. Now, 25 and 30 years on, people are asking me for photos "from the old days....". I'm too much of a gent to say "Ahem.....!"
I've long used lots of percussion, going back to the days when I used paint cans and garlic encrusted forks. I encouraged Mikey on the drums there to build up his percussive arsenal, so much so that for many years, he's more known as a percussionist than a drummer. He turns up with athletics bags full of shakers, rattlers, bangers and all manner of stuff and a couple of foldaway tables. He cracks me up !
But you know, on Miroslav philharmonik and Swar systems {Indian instruments} there are some fantastic percussion samples. If you've got rhythm, it's almost impossible to tell that they are samples. I've been really impressed by the percussion sections on both those programmes. Also, Celtic Instruments has some fantastic Bodhran samples. I've found the main limitation on percussion VSTis is actually the MIDI keyboard and how well one sets the release. The giveaway can be a badly set release that makes each sound end too abruptly.
That all said, I find that the samples need to be mixed in with acoustic instruments, especially, yes, you've guessed it, to return to Greg's initial point,
the drums !

Lol. It's not Houston's fault that your equipment and crew are completely incompetent. :laughings:

Never in my life before or after have I broke two snare heads at the same show let alone within 20 minutes of each other....I have almost equally bad or funny stories each time we played your city!

But yea my tech was an idiot. The very next time we played in houston{different club} he got his ass kicked by The club owner...long story!

Never in my life before or after have I broke two snare heads at the same show let alone within 20 minutes of each other....I have almost equally bad or funny stories each time we played your city!

But yea my tech was an idiot. The very next time we played in houston{different club} he got his ass kicked by The club owner...long story!

How the fuck do you break a snare head anyway? I've been playing drums for over 20 years, and I've never broken a snare head. And I hit hard as shit. Were you playing way too old heads with broken sticks or something?

Back