Put up some pics of your kit

What is it with limeys and Stagg cymbals? The only people I "know" that even talk about those things are online brits. They're rare over here and even if you do find one, they're cheap and trashy. Maybe yall get good ones or something and they don't export to the US.

IME, Stagg seem to make entry-level (and often low) quality stuff.
I would guess the cymbals are of a similar quality - cheap and nasty, but might be the sound you're looking for once in a while (however, I haven't seen or used any).
I'm no expert on what is a good or crummy brand of cymbal. The thing with the 5 cymbals I have is variation of sound. I'm not a drummer. It's other people that play them so I depend on their skills to coax appealing sounds out of them. I like all the sounds although thinking about it, I was initially underwhelmed by the sound of the 2 Staggs.

I had a kit for awhile that had 14-16" floor toms. It sucked. Your right, a 18" floor is like thunder of the gods! I'll never not use an 18 floor tom again.
My full kit is 10", 12" 14" rack toms and then 16" and 18" floor toms. I choose to play a 20" kick (I get plenty of punch out of it). Always a 14" snare (I just don't like piccolo snares). On my "club kit" I drop the 10" and the 18" toms and play a 5 piece kit and that's almost more than I need for those venues.

oops i meant:
IMG_0239.JPGIMG_0243.JPGIMG_0245.JPGIMG_0247.JPGIMG_0253.JPGIMG_0255.JPG

Mapex Meridian Birch kit I got around highschool graduation time last year.
Paiste PST3 set I've had since 2009. Along with a Zildjian splash that came with the set :confused:
It's always mic'd with a SM81 (purchased from moresound!) that surprisingly captures everything really well for moments of inspiration.

That black snare is a Tama Imperialstar that I got for my first kit after the metal snare that came with it crapped out.
I broke something on it, but I'm ready to get it fixed...anyone know what type of lug I need for the snare retainer?
IMG_0062.JPG

Also, here is the only pic I have of my first kit. Complete with DW head purchased from local music store to try and fool people into thinking it was actually made out of wood:
100_1188.JPG
After I got the Mapex I donated it to an after school program though I did keep a floor tom :o

And just like that, I enter the thread and post an e kit. Toms are conversion, I want to do a dual zone snare at some point.

IMG_0545.jpg

I own a metalworks 13" snare as well, but I has no pictures.

Here is some kits snares I have recorded just so I can contribute haha:

Shifty Gentlemen hand made snares:
5802641.jpg

4412651.jpg

4316589.jpg

This kit was absolute crap and I hate recording kits like this (either a Pearl EXP or Forum, but I can't remember):
100_0932.jpg

This kit sounded great actually, no clue what it was sorry:
4aff0b7a.jpg
afba63e9.jpg

Kit was terrible, and I think it's ugly. But it sounded terrible:
992d3df7.jpg

6794ecc2.jpg

d769eea7.jpg

I don't honestly remember who's kit this was or what is was or if it sounded good. haha
l_f951599f412444848d66ce9614791c6b.jpg

And this one took second place for worst sounding kit ever. Kit had factory heads on it and this kit was at least 7 years old at the time. He had so many blankets in the kick... it was really bad. Kind of sad though he was a really good player.

l_f23d8ecf5e6a3637fce28f29b2ca6b24.jpg

l_b7f6f614a625ec60c24e260a8ca2b947.jpg

First payed gig recording someone, I don't remember what the kit was (front head is probably accurate though):
l_eed9bc2864d0f7a2d35cb8e16f653d3b.jpg

l_cc45055a490ec449c5db636831463e10.jpg

l_a0de7f38bae091ffee29e5277acc1ea4.jpg

This kit was really nice. All new heads, all new cymbals. I can't remember what kit it was though:

l_ab7c47d19129438d92b11b5d63f08973.jpg

Don't know this kit either, don't remember if it sounded good. I may have already posted it, not sure. haha
l_6810df3a47cd4f6fbf41bd50f066b1c0.jpg

l_4d9d15ec146c4dd28711209826c0d722.jpg

l_04a729d8e78b4ea891ebed37838411e7.jpg

This kit sounded pretty good IIRC.

l_32fafefc37cc4800adf080e7f1953901.jpg

The kit you couldnt remember was a Pearl exr, with poplar shells. I had one and got rid of it because it sucked, although the kick wasnt too bad.

My humble recording kit. The heads are cymbals ('50s Zildjian thin hats, '50s Zildjian sizzle ride, Zildjian A crash and Mehmet crash) are good, the shells and hardware notsomuch.

Attachments

• DSC07469.JPG
    DSC07469.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC07468.JPG
    DSC07468.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 135
Man I really want a studio kit, but every time I look into one my requirements would consist of around $2k USED (because for a studio kit I would want no poplar in my shells, would prefer a laquire over a wrap and would really want a nice set of brass to go along with it). And that sucks. :lol:

However I did record a cheap pearl export and it came out well, so maybe I could lower my standards... but I sort of don't wanna. CL is full of morons who want way to much for what they have.

I considered the meridian birch at one point, the studioease one. Seemed like a decent kit for the cash.

I think you could easily achieve a great studio kit for way under 2k..! What would be your dream kit?

I think you could easily achieve a great studio kit for way under 2k..! What would be your dream kit?
I agree. You could get a great "recording" kit for under $1000. It's one thing to desire a "dream kit", but if anyone thinks you need to invest thousands of dolars to get a great recording out of a drum set, they're living in dream-land.....or they need to learn how to record.

Besides the fact that I bet if you blind-folded ANYONE and played a well tuned kit with good skins, they wouldn't be able to tell you if they're birch, maple, mahogany, or formica. :eek:

Besides the fact that I bet if you blind-folded ANYONE and played a well tuned kit with good skins, they wouldn't be able to tell you if they're birch, maple, mahogany, or formica. :eek:

This X 1000000000 ^^^^^^^^^

There's a bunch of cork-sniffers out there that say they prefer xxxxxx wood because of this or that. The reality is just like what Rami said....no one can hear the difference between shell materials if the shells are decent quality with good bearing edges, heads, and tuning.

Snares are different. Metal, wood, acrylic, they sound different. Toms and kicks, not so much. Head choices and tuning are the most important by a million miles.

This X 1000000000 ^^^^^^^^^

There's a bunch of cork-sniffers out there that say they prefer xxxxxx wood because of this or that. The reality is just like what Rami said....no one can hear the difference between shell materials if the shells are decent quality with good bearing edges, heads, and tuning.

Snares are different. Metal, wood, acrylic, they sound different. Toms and kicks, not so much. Head choices and tuning are the most important by a million miles.

I agree with most of that especially if you are mic'ing the kit. But the density of the shells and the hardness of the wood does make a bit of difference. A really thin shelled soft wood cheap kit will not give you the full round sound of a thick shelled hardwood kit. Too much of the reverberation is lost through the very thin soft shells and all you are counting on it the sound from the heads themselves. But I agree with all that being said, you can fix up any kit to sound real good with proper heads and tuning (and good solid hardware).

I agree with most of that especially if you are mic'ing the kit. But the density of the shells and the hardness of the wood does make a bit of difference. A really thin shelled soft wood cheap kit will not give you the full round sound of a thick shelled hardwood kit. Too much of the reverberation is lost through the very thin soft shells and all you are counting on it the sound from the heads themselves.
Yes, I don't disagree with that. Just to be clear, I'm not saying any kit can sound good with good skins. But once you get into higher end, or at least "good" quality drums, the skins, tuning, and skill of the drummer will make a much bigger difference than whether the drums are made of birch or maple. :cool:

Yes, I don't disagree with that. Just to be clear, I'm not saying any kit can sound good with good skins. But once you get into higher end, or at least "good" quality drums, the skins, tuning, and skill of the drummer will make a much bigger difference than whether the drums are made of birch or maple. :cool:

This again. ^^^^^^^^^^

I wasn't talking about cheap wal-mart kits. I'm talking reasonable quality, middle-of-the-pack shells from the major manufacturers. Average stuff from Tama, Pearl, Mapex, Sonor, Ludwig, Yamaha, etc.

Back