Pics of My Studio Conception to Finish

What Do You Think of My Humble Setup?

• Total voters
Seek, I sold my nt-3 about 7 years ago and upgraded to an Nt-2. I should have kept it, because both mics are completely different. I was new to recording back then, and thought I only needed one mic.... :) my my, how much I've grown!

Studio looks great man, congrats! What kind of glass did you use for your windows between the tracking and control room? Did you build double walls or just go with single wall construction? How does the sound from each room translate (how much sound do you hear in the control room coming from the tracking room and vice versa)? I'm about to build a couple rooms in my basement and deciding if I want to go with a window (which I really want to do) or not deal with the window due to sound transferring from room to room.

Studio looks great man, congrats! What kind of glass did you use for your windows between the tracking and control room? Did you build double walls or just go with single wall construction? How does the sound from each room translate (how much sound do you hear in the control room coming from the tracking room and vice versa)? I'm about to build a couple rooms in my basement and deciding if I want to go with a window (which I really want to do) or not deal with the window due to sound transferring from room to room.

Thanks ARC. I used 1/2 " untempered glass. Rick Fitzpatrick recommended I use two, but I tried one and it works great. No transmissions whatsoever through the single pane. Because I used a hollow core door, I get some sound transmission through it. But I will upgrade to a solid core later on, I just could not afford to special order one right now due to all the other upgrades I had to make. But with a solid core, I know beyond a shodow of a doubt it would eliminate all of the sound from the control room (simply because so little leaks through now)

As far as the wall is concerned, I used a single wall design, and put two layers of drywall on each side for a total of 4 layers of drywall. It works perfectly. The walls are 2 x 4, but I would recommend 2 x 6 just to be safe. My equip is not that loud in the control room, so this is probably why it works so well for me. I do not have a lot of gear, and I understand that the more you add, the louder it gets. I wish you the best!

Just wondering... I appreciate the honesty on the poll- this kid xxl voted that he disliked my studio build. However, he failed to tell me why, just voted in the poll. I read some posts of his and he is roughly 85% negative in his posts to others (as far as I can tell). Can this kid give me a reason why? I am interested in some feedback! What would you have done differently x?

I can honestly say if I had it to do over again, I would have widened the room by about 6 feet and shortened the control room by that length. And of course as I have stated before, I would have really pushed the concrete slab issue before I put this thing up- I got some lying advice from the builder though.... oh well! Other than that - I think it was a total success thanks to the peeps in my fave forum!

C-YA!

Love the studio. It gave me alot of tips and idea's on what I'd like to build. A bit different but very simular to yours. I still need to learn how to mix a measly little 4 track b4 I take on the project of building a studio though :D

Indianpolis recording studio - CityDump Records

Nice studio man, I just got done building my studio 3 months ago. www.citydumprecords.com . I am a little disappointed u did not put horizontal beams to connect the 2/4's to stop resonance. It almost seems like you just build a room and put a window and some acoustical treatment on it. Did you do anything at all to try and keep sound out? I hired an acoustical engineer to help me with mine. It was the best money I ever spent. If there is anyone else thinking about building a studio from the ground up like this guy did invest in a design. There are a lot of good guys out there. Jeff from HDAcoustics (http://www.hdacoustics.net/) helped me and it was worth EVERY penny. It is a lot easier to spend to much on a good space and buy equipment later than it is to build a bad space and have to re-build it when ur equipment gets better, BUT at least you dove in there an got closer to ur dream man, keep up the good work I hope the space works for u.

ICON
CityDump Records
www.citydumprecords.com

Last edited:
I am a little disappointed u did not put horizontal beams to connect the 2/4's to stop resonance. It almost seems like you just build a room and put a window and some acoustical treatment on it. Did you do anything at all to try and keep sound out?

Hey Dump, thanks for the praise and criticism- actually, I did just jump off into it and build a room like you said and put a window in it. I did get pro advice on how to build the room after the fact and make the best of it. So far everything is working fine. The main thing for me is I do direct in on all my electric gtr & bass, and use MIDI for piano and other sound effect. The booth will handle vocals and acoustic gtr, as well as other acoustic instruments like dobro (resonator gtr for you non-bumpkins out there) banjo, mandolin, etc.. The room is too small to handle things like horns and such. The comb filter would be a nightmare in that small room. It is definitely too narrow, but for what I am doing it will be fine. This is my first studio, and I learned a lot from the experience. I do not think it will be my last, but for project recording It will suffice. I stated it before, but if I had to do it over again, the main diff would be I would widen the room by about 3 more feet (or more) making it a 9' x 16' room as opposed to a 6' x 16'. The truth is, my control room is too big- and I would have rather my booth been larger. Another thing I would like to add is: I was told by the folks who put my steel building up that it absolutely could not be put on a concrete slab. They lied. They just did not want to. That would have helped me tremendously, and finally, I would have liked to have 10 foot ceilings at the LOWEST point on the building (the ends), as opposed to *gulp* 6 1/2 '. That part really sucks.

I can't wait to give you guys a sample of what I've been working on. I've had the extreme pleasure of working with Cubase 5 lately, and it is quite a bit diff than my old VST/32 program. If anyone in this forum uses it and would like to share some ideas, please PM me!

Final Pics Beginning today!

We finally cleaned up the last remnants of the junk and put everything in order. The control room is finally complete (although I will at a later time put more absorbers on the wall). Here are some pics of the final product. I would like to thank everyone again for all their valuable input, and should I put together another one, I will definitely consult with you guys again and post more pics of the process.

You can view all the pics here: http://www.box.net/shared/apy2bzhx33

I look forward to more feedback. I will post more pics with different views of the studio in a few more days.

I just deleted a huge long winded post, but I will reduce it to this - I'd listen to the guy who complained about your electrical.

Looks great! Congrats! Great idea building it separate from the house like that. Can I ask how much it cost for just the materials etc? Send me a pm if you want. I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

Looks great! Congrats! Great idea building it separate from the house like that. Can I ask how much it cost for just the materials etc? Send me a pm if you want. I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

Materials alone (including the building) cost roughly 10-12 grand. I kinda lost count after about 10....

Thanks for the kudos. Man... tearing down my walls to replace this electrical is gonna be a bummer.....

Thanks ARC. I used 1/2 " untempered glass. Rick Fitzpatrick recommended I use two, but I tried one and it works great. No transmissions whatsoever through the single pane. Because I used a hollow core door, I get some sound transmission through it. But I will upgrade to a solid core later on, I just could not afford to special order one right now due to all the other upgrades I had to make. But with a solid core, I know beyond a shodow of a doubt it would eliminate all of the sound from the control room (simply because so little leaks through now)

I applaud your efforts, but I am as shocked by your claim of zero transmission through a single pane of glass as your predictions that a single solid core door will eliminate all sound. You are considering leakage from tracking room back into control room, yes?

I applaud your efforts, but I am as shocked by your claim of zero transmission through a single pane of glass as your predictions that a single solid core door will eliminate all sound. You are considering leakage from tracking room back into control room, yes?

Yes Todd, let me make some things clear that otherwise may not be...
There are very little transmissions from the control room to the live room- even with the air conditioner running. However, I do not monitor my tracking during the record phase through my nearfields. Obviously, that would get through. What we are talking about here is my gear noise, general room noise, fluorescent lighting, computers running, outside noises, etc. Yes, if I monitored through my nearfields, they would definitely get through. The AC is the only thing I can hear in the control room with the door closed, and barely audible at that. The noise absolutely comes from the door, which is my weakest link. I am convinced that a solid core door will fix that issue.

I am not trying to make outrageous claims, just trying to be informative. :)

I like it but would have definitely gone with floating floors at least in the booth. also not sure about the tile. Other than that looks great nice space. Oh might want to add some bass traps

damn... that's a dream for me.. right now my studio is in my "living room" i live in an apartment in the city, so theres not much I can do right now. that's freakin awesome man.. congrats! Is it all done?

damn... that's a dream for me.. right now my studio is in my "living room" i live in an apartment in the city, so theres not much I can do right now. that's freakin awesome man.. congrats! Is it all done?

With the exception of bass traps being installed in the control room, a solid core door leading into the live room, the studio is completed. Thanks for the kudos guys, and I will post some pics of the final touches- as we just treated with Auralex.

SG...ya already brought up what I was gonna bring up...:D

First was the fluorescent lighting...I had those in my room and found some low end yuck. I ended up just bringing in some lamps and leavin em off.

You covered the bass traps I was gonna mention too. Cool. Did ya put a cloud over your desk or do ya need it?

The other thing was your monitors. They seem a bit too close. How do they sound to you?

Those are nits man. Nice job...nice room. ;)

Back