Pro Tools noob question...

Step, have you thought about Ableton Live for recording drums? Some fun beat stretching/editing features and song arrangement stuff that might suit your style.

Plus, you wouldn't be wed to Digidesign hardware and so would have some less expensive options for audio input available.

No I haven't checked that out but I'll definitely consider it....

TIf compatibility with other studios is of importance to you (as it was to me when I switched), Pro Tools is definitely the way to go. It's not the best software out there, and even many pro's will attest to this, but it's definitely without a doubt the most prevalent.

However, if it's not incredibly important to be able to transfer projects back and forth between studios, there are many fantastic pieces of software that I'd recommend over Pro Tools (Sonar & Logic are fantastic), because Pro Tools drastically limits the hardware you can use, as well as the plugins you can use (although there is a fantastic program out there that allows you to use non-pro-tools plugins)

Last edited:
Please don't respond sounding like you know what you're talking about if you're not absolutely sure of it. It's not helpful.

Thanks....

All I'll say and this it'll be the last, I'm open to whatever, I haven't purchased anything yet, I'm just doing all my research up front, so i'm not stuck with a bunch of equipment i can do nothing with or limits me. Pro Tools is a pretty penny, so if there is a way to still be able to get quality material, cheaper and still be able to collaborate with Pro Tools users, then I will definitely look at that.

Thanks....

All I'll say and this it'll be the last, I'm open to whatever, I haven't purchased anything yet, I'm just doing all my research up front, so i'm not stuck with a bunch of equipment i can do nothing with or limits me. Pro Tools is a pretty penny, so if there is a way to still be able to get quality material, cheaper and still be able to collaborate with Pro Tools users, then I will definitely look at that.

Oh dude, I was referring to some of the other people responding, not you! It's your thread and you're asking goooooood questions.

As for collaborating with other Pro Tools users, if you want to be able to record and edit some stuff, then bring the project to another studio with Pro Tools and record and edit some more, then bring it back home (or to another studio) etc., then Pro Tools is the way to go. Be absolutely sure that it's necessary for you to do so though, as you will indeed be paying a premium for no reason other than collaboration!

Ableton...

Step, just wanted to let you know that a demo version of Ableton is free to try from their website.

In addition, if you do like their product you can route it into Pro Tools so that might be a way to bridge over with other PT users for collaborative work.

I know it sounds like I'm shilling their stuff but I've just been getting more and more into it and really like the way their system works.

Worth at least taking the time to download and check out.

Step.
Ableton works great in PT.
That's how I do it in PT8 MP, I'll use Live 7 or Reason 4 to get more outputs.

I'm on a 32 I/O with Protools 8, 24 I/O's with my SSL :D (great sound).
You can have only 18 simultaneous I/O's. When I wanna track more then that I use Reaper for that. Reaper isn't expensive at all. The normal price for REAPER is $225.00 USD, or use REAPER for non-commercial use for $50.00 USD.

What do you all think about Pro Tools M-powered? I found a MAudio Project mix interface for the same price as the Digi 003 and it seems to basically do the same and then some. I'm thinking of using a Presonus DigiMAX D8 optical into a ProjectMix I/O. Any input?

What do you all think about Pro Tools M-powered? I found a MAudio Project mix interface for the same price as the Digi 003 and it seems to basically do the same and then some. I'm thinking of using a Presonus DigiMAX D8 optical into a ProjectMix I/O. Any input?

From another recording website:

1. Project Mix I/O does not include Pro Tools. You will need to buy this seperate. SO add more money on the Project Mix to get up and running with Pro Tools.

2. You can clock the 003 to any source you want. That post above about not being able to clock to other sources is pure BS. You can clock through: SPDIF, Word Clock, and Optical.

3. Yes the 003 only has 4 mic pres but they actually SOUND FANTASTIC. All the haters of the 003 because they already have an 002 need to ACTUALLY listen for themselves. My buddies who have had 002s for years have been blown away by my 003r.

4. The monitoring section is another great feature in the 003 not in the Project Mix. You can have 2 sets of monitors and switch between the 2 with the push of a button. This is great for testing mixes on regular speakers. I have some shitty speakers and some nice studio monitors. Over the year I have learned that having these regular speakers is an invaluable way to do mixes right. You ofcourse can set this up with a switch or something but remeber that means more connections in your signal chain.

5. Keep in mind that Pro Tools LE has "Low Latency Monitoring" built in which is a incredible feature not in M-Powered. I used M-Powered with a mixer for low latency but didn't like the uneeded connections in my signal chain. Low latency monitoring is a HUGE feature! Believe me, unless you want to spend a ton of extra money on a small mixer, that has really good signal quality, just for headphone mixes.

Google is your friend!

I'm assuming cause the arm and leg you have to give to get your hands on a piece of equipment....granted, but If i want to run with the big dogs i gotta quit eating kibble and get some real meat....bad analogy but hopefully you see where I'm getting at.

I've looked and played around with a lot of different DAW but I keep getting drawn back to P.T. As much as people hate to admit it, it's really becoming the standard in studios, at least that's from my view.

SO this is what I'm looking at running a Digidesign 003 rack, a Presonus Digimax for additional inputs via lightpipe, all Firewire to Pro Tools 8 LE. Would sync'r be necessary or does the 003 take care of that?
It may ahve BEEN the standard but I think it is getting away from that now. I prefer Sonar.Many big timmers are using it. It has unlimited tracks and I dont think it limits your inputs at one time.I use 24 at a time.I have an mbox and just dont really like protools really. Plugins are expensive.You just get basic plugins with an mbox ,even with ignition pack its not that great. Many people love Nuendo and digital performer too. I'd look into all before buying. I've used sonar for so long I hate to change, but you being new,would be very open to any DAW and not be stuck with one " because your used to it" like many of us.
Jim

It may ahve BEEN the standard but I think it is getting away from that now. I prefer Sonar.Many big timmers are using it. It has unlimited tracks and I dont think it limits your inputs at one time.I use 24 at a time.I have an mbox and just dont really like protools really. Plugins are expensive.You just get basic plugins with an mbox ,even with ignition pack its not that great. Many people love Nuendo and digital performer too. I'd look into all before buying. I've used sonar for so long I hate to change, but you being new,would be very open to any DAW and not be stuck with one " because your used to it" like many of us.
Jim

Have you used Pro Tools 8 and the new plugins/VIs? They're pretty good...

Get Pro Tools if switching projects between studios is important to you (which, for many people, it isn't). Otherwise, you should get something more open like Sonar, or Logic, and worry about Pro Tools if/when the time comes that you want to move projects around.

I switched to Pro Tools for this exact reason, and don't regret it, but I would never say it was the best DAW out there.

Have you used Pro Tools 8 and the new plugins/VIs? They're pretty good...
No, I just have an mbox 7.4 version. I use sonar 5 99.9% of the time.Windows xp with 2 uad 1 pci cards.If I want to go protools I would go all mac, then I'd have to buy mac versions of uad cards, pcie slot cards and the vst wrapper....to much cash. To me, if somebode wants to work with a project that they started with me,I'll just give them wave files.Then they can just import it to whatever DAW. Until your in the mixing stage ,that is fine.If you are just tracking who cares. Now, the other thing is, if your a noob,the chances of you having bands bounce back and forth between you and other studios is slight..no offense intended.:)As a few here have said Sonar is great and Logic also has good buzz.Dont worry about compatability with other studios, go with what works for you.
Now the mbox(protools) isnt a bad thing for 300-400 bucks. You get protools le software and a soundcard(the mbox itself),not a bad way to start.Plus resale should be good.

Now, the other thing is, if your a noob,the chances of you having bands bounce back and forth between you and other studios is slight..no offense intended.:)

Bang on.

Now the mbox(protools) isnt a bad thing for 300-400 bucks. You get protools le software and a soundcard(the mbox itself),not a bad way to start.Plus resale should be good.

Plus the Mbox and Pro Tools are guaranteed to work together. The support is second to none, and it sounds better than other DAWs. IMO no other programme comes close to Pro Tools when it comes to audio editing/mixing. Obviously for music creation it is probably still behind Logic, but it is catching up, fast. Apple seem to be putting less and less development into Logic whereas Digi are still behind Pro Tools 100%. I say watch this space.

Plus the Mbox and Pro Tools are guaranteed to work together. The support is second to none, and it sounds better than other DAWs. IMO no other programme comes close to Pro Tools when it comes to audio editing/mixing. Obviously for music creation it is probably still behind Logic, but it is catching up, fast. Apple seem to be putting less and less development into Logic whereas Digi are still behind Pro Tools 100%. I say watch this space.

I'm not gonna say you're wrong, but these statements seem somewhat uninformed and contradictory. It's impossible to tell what DAW somebody used by listening to the final product, and thus the sound of the DAW itself is a non-issue. They all sound just fine, and so close to the same that it's impossible for the human ear to discern them. I'll agree that Digidesign's support of their Pro Tools software is pretty good, and that their hardware is made specifically to work with their software (similar to why Apple computers work the way they do vs. Windows/Linux PC's). Logic is a fantastic piece of software, as is Sonar. Many people really like any or all of these programs, along with others like Cubase, Reaper, Ableton Live, and many more.

It's really more about which tool works the way you work, and will generally do what you want it to do and stay out of your way creatively. You shouldn't have to think about the software you're using, just what it does for you!

welp sorry to disappoint most of you but Ive decided to go with PT's, I'm ordering all my hardware in a couple of days. I'm going with the 003 + Rack and a Presonus DigiMAX LT, a pair of M Audio BX8's, a AKG C 214, AKG D 112, (4) SM57, (2) AKG Perception 170, a Sennheiser e906, xlr cables, trs cables, optical cable, BNC cable, mic stands, and some acoustic treatment.

I did look into a lot of other DAW's but I just kept getting drawn back to PT's just for the fact that almost all of the studios that I've worked with use PT's and I've been asked several times to add some guitar to a project and i wasn't able to use pt's cause i didn't have it. SO compatibility with other studios is important to me. I don't like driving 2 or 3 hours just to lay some guitar....gas is expensive...

Back