The ULTIMATE Entry-Level Mic Pre Poll... :op

What is the BEST Entry-Level Mic Pre????

• Art Tube MP

Votes: 82 15.3%
  • Art Tube PAC

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • Presonus Blue Tube

Votes: 52 9.7%
  • Bellari MP105

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Bellari MP110

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Bellari RP503

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • dbx Mini-Pre Tube

Votes: 12 2.2%
  • M-Audio AudioBuddy

Votes: 56 10.4%
  • M-Audio DMP3

Votes: 187 34.9%
  • Behringer VX2000

Votes: 27 5.0%
  • Rolls CL151 Mic Pre/Comp.

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Joe Meek MQ3

Votes: 92 17.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a pre that will be a good contrast to my Pacifica and ADL600. I love the Pacifica for it's rich, clear sound, and the ADL600 is nice and thick. However, the 600 isn't quite as defined in the low end as I'd like. If I had something thick AND defined, I'd be set. Would the Audio Buddy give me a good first option? I don't want to spend over $200, because I have a gram of crack on layaway that I need to pay off.

This thread will NEVER die.

What a boring Saturday morning....

if you have 2 bills, then go dmp3 if you have only 1, go audio buddy unless you want some useable distortion, then go art tube thing - the one with a round meter, or if you want some noise outside the box and compression that is "colored" then you can put an art tube pac in another room and route your long cables to it and back and have something, not sure what to call it but it's something else... zzounds has the best deal on it, btw.

DIE!!!!!!!

DIE ALREADY!!!!!

:D

Just for a little context on how old and ridiculously obsolete this thread is.... here's the type of pre I'm buying these days: http://www.mercenary.com/cranspid.html

WATYF

(P.S. Holy crap, I just realized that this thread turned 5 years old this week. :eek:)

Last edited:
guys, there's a few more in this price range.

the VTB-1/Rane MS1b, EY 12XY7

BUT here's the kick, the MPA gold, usually goes for 300, is now down to 200, this is a semi mid range tube pre (real tube), and the tube change is suppose to boost th performance alot for cheap. i think it barely fits in here, but it's not bad.

If you're willing to spend a little more, or pick one up used on ebay (they have just been discontinued), get an M-Audio Tampa. It is single channel solid-state pre/comp and is loaded with features. Not only that, but it is the best bang for your buck in terms of sonic performance I think you will find. Think "Avalon" style clarity and warmth. Obviously the Avalon would win in a listening test, but I don't think you have that kind of $. This is definitely my favorite choice in your price range.

If you're willing to spend a little more, or pick one up used on ebay (they have just been discontinued), get an M-Audio Tampa. It is single channel solid-state pre/comp and is loaded with features. Not only that, but it is the best bang for your buck in terms of sonic performance I think you will find. Think "Avalon" style clarity and warmth. Obviously the Avalon would win in a listening test, but I don't think you have that kind of $. This is definitely my favorite choice in your price range.

thanks for the reply mate,i appreciate it:cool:
your right though, i dont really have extra money to put to something
id also be wary of buying second hand cos i know nothing about these :o
so ive been lookin on musicians freind at mics,,,,mic preamps,,
and headphones for recording

which is very difficlut when you are completely ignorant about all of that
its ahard life being new to all this,so im afraid imnone the wiser as to what i can spend my $50 voucher on

At this level, why don't you just get a used Mackie 1202VLZ or a 1220? You'd get an infinitely better interface in one crack.

Hi. New to this board, but love this thread already! I have a 1202VLZ and have had great results with it. I have used it in combo with an ART PRO VLA (borrowed) that coloured the signal slightly, a DBX 286A which REALLY colours the signal if you like that kind of thing, and a Focusrite Penta, which gives less colour, but I don't really like it for some reason (can anyone help me explain why?). I am currently using the VLZ1202 with a FMR RNC insert and it sounds great with a RODE NT1 (vocal) and NT5 pair (acoustic gtr). This is my favourite set up so far.

I think the VLZ1202 was £125 ($250) 3 years ago, and the FMR was about £100 ($200).

Thanks for keeping this thread alive so long!

nobody likes the studio projects vtb1? i dont own any of these mic pres but this was the one i was considering

There's nothing to not like about it for the money. It's very quiet. Ugly little sod in my opinion, but solid controls, decent metering, and held together by enough screws and nuts to make changing the tube (as some people do) an even bigger waste of time than it already is. Out of the box, it sounds fine.

I think it gets bad rap for no reason really, particularly when you consider the market it's aimed at. There's probably not much to choose between preamps in this bracket, so vtb-1 features like impedance switching and tube blend feature (which in moderation can sound nice for certain things) and its an OK DI...for $140 new, sounds alright to me.

Kindly take your assumptions and go away.

I don't know exactly what it is I've done to make so many "enemies" in this thread, but apparently there are a lot of belligerent people around here. I'm just asking for advice,.. If you have no more to offer then please leave me alone.

WATYF

I got some advice - get ridd of the dancing mouse and you'll be right

Awww... Happy Birthday, little thread. Six years old, now.

......they grow up so fast. *sniff*

The ultimate shame of this obscenely long-running thread is that I got the right answer a mere day after the first post, and all subsequent discussion was a waste of time. :p

WATYF, you're looking for a mic pre, and have $200 to spend.
You've listed a dozen or so that are in your price range, and you want to know which one is the "best".
I'll tell you what: IT DOESN"T MATTER!
$200 dollars is gonna buy you a $200 dollar mic pre. At that price range, the sonic characteristics, and audio quality of most mic pres are going to be very similar.
It's like saying: "I need some butter for my toast. I can choose between parkay, blue bonnet or country crock. One of those has to be the best, which one is it!?"
I vote for saving more money until you can afford something that will be a significant upgrade from what you have now. (Buy cheap, buy twice) If that simply is not an option, and that $200 dollars is just burning a hole in your pocket, I find it difficult to recommend any of these, as I don't own and have never used any of the models you have listed.

WATYF

The right answer was

Awww... Happy Birthday, little thread. Six years old, now.

......they grow up so fast. *sniff*

The ultimate shame of this obscenely long-running thread is that I got the right answer a mere day after the first post, and all subsequent discussion was a waste of time. :p

WATYF

Nope, the right answer also came right away. And it was DMP3. I still don't think you'll do better under $200.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back