The ULTIMATE Entry-Level Mic Pre Poll... :op

What is the BEST Entry-Level Mic Pre????

• Art Tube MP

Votes: 82 15.3%
  • Art Tube PAC

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • Presonus Blue Tube

Votes: 52 9.7%
  • Bellari MP105

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Bellari MP110

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Bellari RP503

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • dbx Mini-Pre Tube

Votes: 12 2.2%
  • M-Audio AudioBuddy

Votes: 56 10.4%
  • M-Audio DMP3

Votes: 187 34.9%
  • Behringer VX2000

Votes: 27 5.0%
  • Rolls CL151 Mic Pre/Comp.

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Joe Meek MQ3

Votes: 92 17.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could allways do what I am doing and Build your own Multi-Channel Mic pre-amp!!!

The one I am Building (Green Pre Older version) only costs about $50 per channel to build and has quality that Rivals Pre"s in the $1000 range (Or so I am Told) ....

You can also build your own DMP3 Clone which is actually quite a Bit easier than the Green Pre and it uses the Same Opamps as the DMP3 (INA163).....

If you have a Bit of elecrronix Knowledge and can read a schematic then it might be a Project to get into....

You can also buy a 2 Channel Mic Pre Kit from "PIIA" for about $75 that will be of better quality than Most Pre"s in the Sub $500 range per Channel....

Just a Thought!!!

Minion said:
You could allways do what I am doing and Build your own Multi-Channel Mic pre-amp!!!

The one I am Building (Green Pre Older version) only costs about $50 per channel to build and has quality that Rivals Pre"s in the $1000 range (Or so I am Told) ....
how about a heads up

where the schematics or instructions

are located

is it a kit

a project (parts lists, instructions)

or just a schematic?

cannabis said:
how about a heads up

where the schematics or instructions

are located

is it a kit

a project (parts lists, instructions)

or just a schematic?

There is actually Quite a Lot of Info available on the Net about the "Green Pre" and there are Quite a few Versions of this Pre amp, (they are up to v14 now).....

Here is the one I am doing:

http://1176neve.tripod.com/id10.html

It is Probably the Simplest version of the Green Pre but the newer versions are More Complex and have more Features.....

I have got 2 Channels allmost fully completed accept for a couple of Parts that I still have to get and I have Just etched the PCB for the Power supply...

The person who designed the Green Pre (PeterC) sells PCB"s for the Newest v14 Green Pre and there are others who sell Parts Kits and Power supply Kits, Most of these Poeple can be contacted over at the Prodigy Professinal Forum...

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/

And there is a Lot of info about the Green Pre at the Forum:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5150

I built mine from scratch without any Kits and I have spent about $250
in Parts but will have enough Parts to build most of about 8 Channels and several Power supplies.....

These Pre"s have Phantom Power and Phaze reversal and the newer versions have a Lot more Features Like a Led VU Meter......

I decided to build the Older version because is was Much simpler to build and had less parts (Only 2 IC"s compared to 4 IC"s with the new versions) and this is my First reall DIY Project......

Cheers

Keep in mind something very important about what microphone you purchase.

When recording acoustic instruments, vocals, amps, etc. with your microphone, the quality of that microphone will effect all those tracks.

If you are recording many acoustic instruments you really want at least one high quality microphone as it will be major part of your sound.

A good microphone is well worth the investment.

-Stew

I just built some SCA A12's and N72's. Before that I didn't have anything spectacular-Mackie, Behringer, Symetrix 528, ART TubePac.
Now that I've heard the SCA's, my impression is there are 2 levels of preamps. None of the subtleties matter. The differences between all the bottom feeder stuff is inconsequential and the differences between the high end stuff is inconsequential too. The only difference is between the two. And for the $2400.00 I just spent, I'm not that impressed.

Sorry.

WATYF said:
Alright... here's the deal.
I got 200 bucks (or less) to spend on a mic pre.
So go to Guitar Center and buy yourself a Brick. They're closing out that product at GC, and you can get them quite cheaply at the moment. Assuming, of course, that there are any left in your neighborhood. They won't last long.

Gilliland said:
So go to Guitar Center and buy yourself a Brick. They're closing out that product at GC, and you can get them quite cheaply at the moment. Assuming, of course, that there are any left in your neighborhood. They won't last long.

hmmm....not the GC near me. $399 :mad:

At this level, why don't you just get a used Mackie 1202VLZ or a 1220? You'd get an infinitely better interface in one crack.

One you guys haven't mentioned was the ART TPS-II. I already am well aware of the anti ART bias around here. And frankly I hadn't even really considered them much. I did try one and am mightily impressed. Once you get the gain stages set up right it is dead ass quiet and has lots of balls and punch to offer. You can drive the gain a bit and get more of the tube character if desired. The whole variable tube voicing thing is fine, but I just look for the setting that gives me the least noise and allows for as much transparency as possible. For 2 channels of it the $179 is very reasonable. The only thing is I also have a TC-Helicon VoiceWorks, and since it is a complete package channel in one it tends to get the nod more often. Considering the pre in that unit is top flight to begin with and has gain up the kazoo with NO noise, the added pitch correction, transparent compression and harmonies and unreal TC reverbs etc. that is just a bonus. That box set me back over 5 big ones, but it's made me one happy camper..........to have one is to love one.........

Wow. A four year thread. Thats got to be a record!

Madmax: I didnt quite get your reply. You said there are 2 levels. 1. Cheaper preamps 2. Expensive preamps. But your not impressed with the expensive ones?

At first it sounded like you could hear the difference between the two, but at the end you said you were not impressed with the higher end ones.

Could you clarify?

I guess what I'm saying is the differences are subtle. A different mic would give a much bigger difference.

In fact, I just sold my SCA's.

dalley said:
hmmm....not the GC near me. $399 :mad:
At their labor day sale yesterday, they were $199. You might want to try again, maybe ask for the manager in the pro audio dept. As of yesterday morning, there were over 100 left in the GC chain, but I bet the number is a lot lower now.

I just want to record one mic, so should i get the $200 cheaper Tube MP or a DMP3... I just want to record rap/singing vocals. Is the $200 difference that significant in peformance terms?

i'd like to switch my vote from tube mp (i have studioV3) to dmp3. v3 used to be $120, i think. but if you want any over driven for some reason, the tube is a little better than the SS, but just barely.

Oh my dear lord... like most posters here, I just feel the need to say something, and be another "that guy" who keeps this going for another few months. I am going to buy the DMP-3 tomorrow at Guitar Center and see if it is a decent upgrade from the Nady PRA-8 I am using now. I currently am using a Rode K2, and it actually sounds decent through the PRA-8, but for quiet acoustic parts, it just doesn't add enough gain to get close to nominal level.

Guess I'll update again once I get the DMP-3 and report whether it got returned, or if it is my new friend in recording quieter parts (among other things, like vocals, piano, etc.).

...I had to do it. And the post lives on.

you'll get your gain, that's for sure, i was impressed with the gain, and CLEAN GAIN not, clean in the middle and then noizy up at the top end of gain aka useful gain.

and i hear a nice silky thing going on, some smothosity happening in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back