Home studio building

TamaSabian

Peruvian skin beater
My house will be modified soon. The place I used for recording is gonna be my bedroom, do you think there´s enough space so I could have ctrl and recording room. I should work and sleep there. The room is 13.9 x 15.9 x 8.20 (ceiling height). Do you think that is possible???. Another chance I have is build my home studio on the fourth floor when everything is ready, it will cost more and take longer.

Hope you can give me any advice.

Thanks
TS

I think trying to fit a control room in a space that small would be a bad idea. The room would be so bassy. You're better off without a CR in that instance I'd say.

Well, my room is 14' x 8' x 5'6-6'6, so could basically almost fit in your room twice, and I'm spliting it into 2 rooms crtl and tracking, granted I'm not gonna be sleeping in it though :D. I've drawn out a rough plan of something i think would work. The control room is based on a few(most)of john slayers designs.

Attachments

• Plan for TamaSabian.JPG
    Plan for TamaSabian.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 179
I've just always heard you want your control room to be as big as possible. My control room is almost as big as your entire studio space and I've feared before that my CR is too small. :) but whatever. My live room is 29' X 16', so I've got space. Plus I've got a vocal booth that's about 8' X 9', with one wall at an angle.

I´ve been in control rooms that are really big. The problem is I don´t have more space available. Pandamonk nice drawing. I think I should show this to the architect, it could give her some ideas.

Thanks
TS

One other option if you are limited on space would be to use a portable recording setup of some kind with a rough backing track mix on it and track your vocals somewhere else in a better environment. Most portables will sync to mtc,so you could just have everything synced up to the portable.One of the true advantages of a laptop or roland type setup.
If youre tracking vocals every night then maybe this isnt for you,however if you only need a few good takes every now and then it is an option and a heck of a lot cheaper.

I track more than vocals. I record demos for local bands, so I work with live drums, bass, guitars and vocals. Live room should be enough to keep my drumkit without problems, and maybe 1 or 2 people more inside. I record live performance also. I know I´m asking too much but I think I could find a solution.

Thanks
TS

TamaSabian said:
I record demos for local bands, so I work with live drums, bass, guitars and vocals.
TS

See, that changes everything. A lot of people with home studios use it alone, in which case there isn't much need for seperate rooms except for it to look cool.

Since the CR is going to be small, just make sure to use plenty of bass traps. The videos at realtraps.com are AWESOME for truely illustrating how they work and how/where to install them.

One bass trap??? :) watch the videos at realtraps.com. 8 traps are standard, and you can sometimes get away with 6.

I didn't mean that it was the only acoustic treatment for the room. Btw on real traps, the room is square or at least rectangular. The design i posted is based on john sayers, and isn't rectangular. The walls angled towards the back of the room could be slot resonators, for instance.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions and comments. I noticed that you´re thinking about how to treat the place and I´m looking how to modify it to be 3 in 1 (bedroom, CR and live room). The next step will be acoustic treatment.
Please, check this thread https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=90868 I started long time ago, there you can find a drawing of my room. The window will be replaced by a wall and all the stuff will be moved. This is what I got, so how do I divide it to get what I want??
Do you know where I can find more layout ideas??.

Thanks
TS

I've actually drawn out another for you. What do you think?

Attachments

• Plan for TamaSabian 2.JPG
    Plan for TamaSabian 2.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 137
Thanks Pandamonk that´s exactly what I needed, more layouts!!. Could you tell me what software do you use for those drawings??. I like the second more than the first.

Thanks a lot
TS

Back